This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

You know what -I- really hate this about media's portrayal of video games?

#1JukainPosted 1/25/2013 5:56:20 PM
I hate how never, or almost never, are the people who are playing video games in a media situation (commercial, TV, movie, etc.) are ACTUALLY PLAYING THE VIDEO GAMES. If you look at their hands, they are not doing what you do when you actually play the games. They're just hitting buttons at random and looking ridiculous. I think the most humorous I've seen is the one where the kids are playing Final Fantasy VIII in Charlie's Angels and they're just tapping their little hands out in a very slow paced combat system.
---
"In peace, vigilance. In war, victory. In death, sacrifice." ~ The Grey Wardens
http://www.trueachievements.com/mygames.aspx?gamerid=71900
#2shawnmckPosted 1/25/2013 6:01:32 PM(edited)
The Media isn't interested in presenting an accurate depiction of video-games or gamers in general.
They have nothing but disdain and contempt for video-games and the people who play them.

Yet these same people will act better than everyone else by claiming to be non-judgmental and of having an open mind....when they are among the most biased hypocrites around.

They probably view video-games as a form of competition too.
After all, if you are playing video-games, then you aren't watching their crappy shows or news.
#3TheBlueStigPosted 1/25/2013 6:08:54 PM(edited)
Sorry but the most ridiculous portrayal of videogames in the media was right after Columbine where a Time Crisis arcade machine had footage of Doom 2 digitally overlayed on top of the real time crisis footage, and "played" by an off duty cop who claimed that the Doom games "actually taught people how to aim, shoot, and reload real guns."

The only thing that's ever come close to that stupidity was the fake PSP game in Inside Man with Clive Owen.

---
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
#4Arucard05Posted 1/25/2013 6:09:50 PM
It has more to do with what reads better on camera than what is accurate.
---
www.bewaretherobotsquad.com
Go there now! Or don't. Whatever man.
#5shawnmckPosted 1/25/2013 6:20:56 PM
^ I'm sorry, but I have to respectfully disagree.
How does accuracy not translate well to camera ?

That sounds like an excuse to me.
#6scoobydoobydontPosted 1/25/2013 6:24:53 PM
>play Call of Duty
>mash every button on the controller
>sounds like Space Invaders
---
The writing was on the wall with Bioware the minute you could completely void all of your decisions with one choice in KOTOR.
#7Arucard05Posted 1/25/2013 6:26:53 PM
^ I'm sorry, but I have to respectfully disagree.
How does accuracy not translate well to camera ?

That sounds like an excuse to me.

Playing a video game in real life consists of little more than minute thumb spasms. Doesn't exactly scream "PLAYIN' A VIDEOGAME" quite like waving your controller around like a sword, pressing every button at the same time.

In film, you're not so much trying to capture the world as it is, but trying to convey as much information as possible in every frame.
---
www.bewaretherobotsquad.com
A place where things happen. Sometimes awesome things.