This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is there anything in place that if a studio or publisher shuts down...

#1levyjl1988Posted 1/25/2013 11:07:36 PM
that I wouldn't lose my downloadable content that I purchased in the marketplace. That the content purchased will be removed from my download history without notice.
---
Check out Canada's only Comics and Gaming Magazine!
http://www.cgmagazine.ca/
#2PannerPosted 1/25/2013 11:18:59 PM
This is a grey area.
With digital games, we don't actually own them. We are at best just renting them. You're just buying a license to play the games you download.
If Steam or Apple ever goes belly up, all the games and music you've bought on either Steam or iTunes will just stop existing. you wont have access to what ever you've bought.

I don't know if there's any legislation in the UK or the USA to cover any of that happening though.
---
Gamertag : Steel Hunter
NNID : SteelHunter
#3levyjl1988(Topic Creator)Posted 1/25/2013 11:28:07 PM
I'm a bit apprehensive on the reliability on the content that I purchase. I don't want to purchase Microsoft points to buy a DLC for a game, the studio goes under or has a legal issue and then the content is removed. If I purchased it prior to the legal situation am I able to redownloading it? Is the content still locked on the Microsoft servers and just invisable after the legal situation which I am led to believe or it's gone gone and your content just vanishes.
---
#4DreadedZer0Posted 1/25/2013 11:34:25 PM
Don't quote me on this, but i think that previously accessed content (wether it's free or MS points) can be re-accessed through the Download history screen.
---
When in doubt, destroy a Prius.
#5IonizerPosted 1/25/2013 11:35:03 PM
This is a grey area.
With digital games, we don't actually own them. We are at best just renting them. You're just buying a license to play the games you download.
If Steam or Apple ever goes belly up, all the games and music you've bought on either Steam or iTunes will just stop existing. you wont have access to what ever you've bought.

I don't know if there's any legislation in the UK or the USA to cover any of that happening though.

I thought I read somewhere that if Steam ever shuts down, it will release a final patch disabling all of it's DRM. Precisely so that players don't lose their games.
---
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s166/Ionizer_1/squirrel.jpg
Carrier of Squirrel Flu
#6popping4itPosted 1/25/2013 11:36:35 PM(edited)
they remove it from the storefront from purchase but the content will still be accessible through your download history.
---
Ravens AFC Champs, Flacco = ELITE
Still hoping for a Shenmue 3.
#7RycerXPosted 1/25/2013 11:37:39 PM
People get all worked up over losing their digital purchases, but stop and think about it, even if the content is pulled off the marketplace, you can still move/copy it to another storage device. You're safer with that than a physical disk, which could get scratched or lost.
#8levyjl1988(Topic Creator)Posted 1/26/2013 10:04:22 AM
So can Microsoft alter your download history without the consumer realizing it? Like remove certain transactions or purchases?
---
#9TheBlueStigPosted 1/26/2013 10:18:26 AM
popping4it posted...
they remove it from the storefront from purchase but the content will still be accessible through your download history.

That doesn't always work as recent events with the old version of NFS Most Wanted has proven. The content will still be in your Download History, but it will fail to download when you try.
---
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
#10Sputnik1337Posted 1/26/2013 10:19:01 AM
So can Microsoft alter your download history without the consumer realizing it? Like remove certain transactions or purchases?

While I'm sure they have the ability to, I've never heard of it happening.

A year or two ago the original Doom was removed from the marketplace because whoever owned the license for it lost it and someone else was picking it up. While the game wasn't available for purchase, you could still download it from your purchase history if you already owned it.
---
z