This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Gameplay vs Story

#1Hawke0Posted 1/26/2013 11:26:20 AM
what do you think is more important? - Results (244 votes)
Gameplay
72.95% (178 votes)
Story
27.05% (66 votes)
This poll is now closed.
Personally, gameplay by a large margin. I don't understand why people would prefer story, considering books and movies are dedicated to stories and there are hundreds of each that beat the stories of any game.
---
Monster Hunter Tri is one of the best Capcom games of this generation.
Of course, that's not saying much.
#2Limp_sugarPosted 1/26/2013 11:30:30 AM
I'll take gameplay over story any day.
---
Support your developer. Buy new.
#3BilliePilgrimPosted 1/26/2013 11:32:39 AM
I'm 50/50. One had better be really really good if the other is going to be lackluster. Don't really care which is which though.
---
i5 2500k @ 4.2| Corsair H60 | EVGA GTX 670 | MSI P67A-GD55 | 8GB DDR3 1600 | Fractal Design Define XL | 750W PSU
http://tinyurl.com/bsdvav7
#4GorillaOnRoofPosted 1/26/2013 11:33:22 AM
Neither, I only care about extreme audio
---
A Mod/Admin replied on 11/5/2011 6:06:56 PM:
Telling other users to smell your ass is trolling. End of story.
#5SoincMetalPosted 1/26/2013 11:33:39 AM
Well if the game play sucks then the games no good. If you want a good story go read a book. That's not saying games can't have great stories also.
---
SonicMetal? See the error in my name! I Skate DGK All Day. Brawl FC:4511-0201-6892
#6Arucard05Posted 1/26/2013 11:35:19 AM
My favorite genres are RPG's and Adventure games. I'll play a game with bad gameplay if it has good characters and an interesting story (Deadly Premonition), but the opposite will often bore me.
---
www.bewaretherobotsquad.com
Do you want to read awesomely rad reviews and articles? No? ****.
#7Res5Posted 1/26/2013 11:43:45 AM
SoincMetal posted...
Well if the game play sucks then the games no good. If you want a good story go read a book. That's not saying games can't have great stories also.

You're gonna make me dreg up my old post about why Gameplay is the farthest thing from the only thing that makes a game good, aren't you?

Okay, I'll do it.

The thing people don't realize about video games is that they are not merely just games to play. They are a multi-purposed medium that do many different things. They implement music, story, playing, technological advancements, modeling and art design, fashion and vocal talents....

If you want a story, you read a book, but don't expect music, voices, playing or technology and most fashion and design is up to your imagination.

If you want music, you listen to a band but don't expect playing so much as practice and work. Fashion can play a part in it and so can design and can also tell a story but it isn't much of a story unless it's at least a little poetic as poetry and music go hand in hand.

If you want to play, you play board and card games. There's no story involved, no music (usually), though there is design and sometimes fashion depending on what you are playing.

Video games are like a culmination of all of these mediums and can even mimic them to a point which is why even if it doesn't have good gameplay, we can enjoy it for story, design or music. You can also enjoy a game purely for it's gameplay but not care about it's music or story. Maybe it's just it's artistic design or technological marvel that attracts you? Well that's okay too.

---
My theme song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBjQ9tuuTJQ
Most people think they are the odd one out but never truly are. I am that one who actually is. :D
#8mtjormitchPosted 1/26/2013 1:21:45 PM
Without a story a video game is meaningless and not of worth. A video game with a story is always better than any storyless video game ever made. Even Deadly Premonition had crap gameplay, it was still better than most video games due to how awesome it's story was.

Why bother to even play a video game without a story at this point? A video game without a story is nothing more than a time waste constructed to addict you until you buy the next version of it thanks to their skinner box and overall crack like addiction rates. A story based video game has none of that and instead lets you play through a video game much like a way a book. You can stop anytime and interact with it.

I would rather have 10K more Deadly Premonitions than one Minecraft.
---
People need to realize that games are art. Seriously, it's been proven over and over again. I think it's about time to people to man up and finally say this.
#9mtjormitchPosted 1/26/2013 1:25:22 PM
SoincMetal posted...

Um. That is exactly what you said. Exactly. People who say such a moronic statement should never play a modern video game again. The story based video game is common and of high quality these days and that statement is an insult to all people who write and design the stories within video games. You insult all of them and all the people who like stories in video games. Get out. Now.
---
People need to realize that games are art. Seriously, it's been proven over and over again. I think it's about time to people to man up and finally say this.
#10Hawke0(Topic Creator)Posted 1/26/2013 2:07:54 PM
mtjormitch posted...
Without a story a video game is meaningless and not of worth. A video game with a story is always better than any storyless video game ever made.

No.
---
Monster Hunter Tri is one of the best Capcom games of this generation.
Of course, that's not saying much.