This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

As you grow older, you'll play less games

#131NintendologicalPosted 1/28/2013 12:35:50 PM
I am 29. I turn 30 this September. I play fewer games, but that is a consequence of having a wider array of interests and greater access to other resources (vehicle, money, computers of my choice). When I was growing up, my hobbies were few

- Play outside with friends (football, tag, super soakers)
- Watch tv (Nick Toons, Disney Afternoon, Power Rangers, Animaniacs, Batman TAS etc)
- Play Nintendo/Sega

These days, I play the guitar, enjoy art galleries, dining, live shows (concerts, comedy clubs), road trips, reading and movies. I do spontaneous things like taking horse back riding lessons or salsa lessons.

When I am not available to engage in leisure, I am completing my graduate thesis, working in church ministry, and currently, coordinating/planning a documentary for a new Youtube channel I am creating. I just do more than I used to and spending hundreds of hours behind a controller isn't a reality anymore when my time is already split. Oddly enou, I spend more time talking about video games than playing them.
---
"Your uncle was so dumb he paid the full price of a new PS2 to rent it for a week? Your family tree must be a straight line" - Finlandia
#132foodeater4Posted 1/28/2013 1:03:39 PM
As I get older I still love to game as much as possible. With less time to game then usual, I am just a lot more selective in what I spend my time playing.

I still like to try as many games as possible but instead of a launch day purchase I might wait till there $20 new or whatever.

I'm trying to think of some examples of how I play now, for example games like Risen, Risen 2 or Divinity 2, back in the day I prolly would have bought these games at launch. There a step below some AAA rpg's like biowares or skyrims, but there still fun games. Nowadays a game like that I would probably wait on .

Im sure that sucks fo those companies missing out on a sale and maybe even bad for the industry if theres tons of people like me out there, but with a job, wife and kids, I only have time for what I consider "the best" right now. Thats not to say I won't go back and pick up some of thse other games in the future. I could end completely loving it and it could move to my "best" pile and then I'd end up buying a sequel or maybe another game by the company at launch or soon after.

But in some ways it works out good too, theres still a lot of great games I havent played yet and now I can get them cheap or get a nice special edition, the new bioshock 1 and 2 package. Havent even played either of them yet, I'm sure I'll like them, but I just havent tried em yet. Even Resident Evil 5, played it for the first time about a month ago and I absoluetly loved it, one of my fav games this gen for sure and Im getting the itch to play again already. It definatly is extending the life of this generation for me, no way I'll be buying nextbox on launch cause I'll have a lot of stuff to still play this gen. Then if I get a nextbox a year or two in there will be a good backlog for me to get started with.
#133UilnslcoapPosted 1/28/2013 1:07:41 PM
Not...really.

I game less these days because I'm a father. But I still work time in where I can.
#134J__HookPosted 1/28/2013 1:10:16 PM
J2006 posted...
alienfreaks04 posted...
I game less often than I did in high school. But I'm not bored of it. Just pickier with less free time.

same here

These.

College has made me spend my free time studying, drinking/partying or socializing, whereas in high school the time would have been spent gaming.

22 here.
#135blankempathyPosted 1/28/2013 1:13:34 PM
well I'll agree with seeing it all and not being so easily impressed if anything its made me branch out more or try different games I never got around to in older gens.
---
SSBB Emp FC - 4983-4589-2680 Southern Californian Brawler
#136lolGoshnerPosted 1/28/2013 1:16:32 PM
It's hilarious how wrong he is. I'm in my 20s and I rarely ever think, "This is just like [x]."

You just need to take off your ignorant nostalgia goggles and focus on what is different. If you just focus on what is the same, of course you will find it. And, if you generalize enough, you can make anything sound the same.

Rabbits are just like cars because they are both known for moving really fast.

See? Your first thought is that that was incredibly dumb. That's because it is. You didn't have to think about it. You just notice the differences immediately. Fine tune your observational skills and the differences in every video game will be as clear as the differences between a rabbit and a car. If you do it right (like me), it won't even require a conscientious effort.

So, stop being lazy and ignorant and actually try to see what makes games different. Unless you want to be a bored and unhappy waste of life like this guy.
---
Deceased Racist, Homophobic, Antisemitic, and Smelly Prince of Popcorn
#137_OujiDoza_Posted 1/28/2013 1:19:02 PM
lolGoshner posted...
Well aren't you an incoherent, angry old jack-wagon.
---
U CAN MAKE FUN OF ME BEING AN EAGLES FAN BUT I HAVE A BETTER LIFE THAN YOU A GF WHO LOVES ME
http://i.imgur.com/9XBfO.jpg (DC wat u think)
#138chrcolPosted 1/28/2013 1:33:13 PM
the topic holder is sort of right but for the wrong reasons, you will play less games because

(a) less time, going to work for a start chews up time
(b) less cash, adults have bills to pay, taxes to pay and mummy and daddy wont be buying these games anymore.
(c) more responsiblities eg. if you are a parent yourself.

I am 33 approaching 34 and I havent "seen it all" I just have less available time and cash for it.
#139lolGoshnerPosted 1/28/2013 1:35:48 PM
chrcol posted...
the topic holder is sort of right but for the wrong reasons, you will play less games because

(a) less time, going to work for a start chews up time
(b) less cash, adults have bills to pay, taxes to pay and mummy and daddy wont be buying these games anymore.
(c) more responsiblities eg. if you are a parent yourself.

I am 33 approaching 34 and I havent "seen it all" I just have less available time and cash for it.

FBGM solves all of your problems.

I would use the non-abbreviated version, but Gamefaqs won't let me.
---
Deceased Racist, Homophobic, Antisemitic, and Smelly Prince of Popcorn
#140shinra35800Posted 1/28/2013 1:49:51 PM
TC is making sense in a way. I find myself not feeling like it most of the time. I still got games that I haven't even unwrapped yet that I just never got around to playing. And when I do play, it's older stuff mostly.