This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

As you grow older, you'll play less games

#151TrugamerPosted 1/28/2013 6:45:32 PM
I agree with the been there done that sentiment but that is more a problem of the industry in general not old age.
There is nothing really amazing anymore , good games yes but nothing that makes me feel real amazement.
#152GorillaOnRoofPosted 1/28/2013 6:50:28 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#153FlameDragnPosted 1/28/2013 7:57:00 PM
Merydia posted...
renaissoxx posted...
He's, right, but it may depend on IQ. I am an intuitive rational person with a really high IQ. Video games all seem the same. Every time a dev tries to cut corners, I intuitively grasp what is going on and lose interest. Repetitive content, arbitrary time sinks (like travel time), invalidating content through lack of difficulty (don't need 20 ways to heal when you never take enough damage to need any of them), and many more are all turn offs for me.

I rather feel like there is a perfect game formula and the developers keep striking out time after time trying to reach it. When you have this level of generalization skill it just seems like the same thing over and over with a different coat of paint. Even sci fi movies are completely predictable to me, so the stories are too. More iterations of the same general principals.

Guys in your 40s, what the hell were you playing 20 years ago? Prince of persia 1 and text RPGs on bulletin boards? Pong?

If I made a game people would lose their whole lives in it.

This same line of thought had occurred to me when I initially read the first post, but to be honest, I was too sheepish to post about it -- I think most people would be upset at this sort of observation (no doubt due to pride or false perception of antagonism). Other posters seem to have glazed over your input, though, surprisingly enough.

I also feel disappointment with games at times because they didn't allocate much attention to an important aspect of the game or rehash voice acting, environments, and the opponents you face. Invalidating content through lack of difficulty, as you mentioned, is a huge point of contention with me, too.

The shining example of all of the above that sticks out at me is Skyrim (including with mods on the PC -- I've spent dozens of hours not just trying, but wanting this game to work for me). I simply cannot wrap my head around how that game is so widely adored, I feel it falls short in so many fundamental qualities: enjoyable combat and a lucid and well-balanced character development system, in particular. It also suffers from a lack of variety in environments, an overabundance of time sinks, and extremely repetitive voice acting.

I see something of this in most of the games that I play (new or old), and I struggle to allow them to captivate my interest. It's not a result I'm proud of or feel comfortable with; in actuality, it is extremely frustrating. I want to continue to enjoy video games and I certainly make a large effort to make that a reality, but I can't help how I feel when I play them these days.

Also, to answer your question about "guys in your 40s" (which I'll extend to both sexes and anyone who was reasonably sentient at that point for the sake of my reply): I was playing Mario, Super Metroid, and Sonic 20 years ago. 8 years before that, though, and you've got me. Pong is the only game I'm aware of having existed at that point, though I'm certain there were many others.

P.S. Long post is long. Don't hate me!

The reason I skipped over it is because of the IQ comment. What does IQ have to do with anything regarding whether you enjoy a game? Having a high IQ doesn't make you nitpick them. Being an anal retentive, judgmental individual makes you do that. Good grief.
#154MerydiaPosted 1/28/2013 9:45:28 PM
FlameDragn posted...
The reason I skipped over it is because of the IQ comment. What does IQ have to do with anything regarding whether you enjoy a game? Having a high IQ doesn't make you nitpick them. Being an anal retentive, judgmental individual makes you do that. Good grief.

I only took the IQ comment as a possible explanation, not a universal one -- I think it's fair reasoning. I personally wouldn't choose the term IQ to describe what that poster did (it seems a sensitive enough term), but it was close enough to stating something along the lines of, "people who are very intelligent or intuitive might find rehashed or poorly done game elements to be tiring or difficult to enjoy." It's much easier for a person to become bored when they quickly understand something or don't feel challenged.

I think the idea "Being an anal retentive, judgmental individual makes you do that." is much more unfair. I don't think I'm "anal retentive" or judg(e)mental in the least, for example. As I stated in my post, I really want to enjoy the games and I try my best to give them a chance; the recycled experiences I encounter simply dispel the magic for me. Part of that may be because it's easy for me to see developer patterns and I don't feel challenged, or feel that something could have been done much better -- such as I have experienced in other games -- and I can't help but think of that as I play (I suspect it's primarily the latter).

I don't think it has anything to do with being a sour grape, so to speak. If people continue to enjoy games that reuse elements, or that have glaring design flaws, then more power to them. I'm genuinely very jealous of but also very happy for those people; I wish it were so simple for me, but it's not. I don't get to control that, and I imagine other people in the same position don't either.
---
"You can use logic to justify almost anything. That's its power, and its flaw." -Kathryn Janeway
#155FlameDragnPosted 1/28/2013 10:22:08 PM
Merydia posted...
FlameDragn posted...

I only took the IQ comment as a possible explanation, not a universal one -- I think it's fair reasoning. I personally wouldn't choose the term IQ to describe what that poster did (it seems a sensitive enough term), but it was close enough to stating something along the lines of, "people who are very intelligent or intuitive might find rehashed or poorly done game elements to be tiring or difficult to enjoy." It's much easier for a person to become bored when they quickly understand something or don't feel challenged.

I think the idea "Being an anal retentive, judgmental individual makes you do that." is much more unfair. I don't think I'm "anal retentive" or judg(e)mental in the least, for example. As I stated in my post, I really want to enjoy the games and I try my best to give them a chance; the recycled experiences I encounter simply dispel the magic for me. Part of that may be because it's easy for me to see developer patterns and I don't feel challenged, or feel that something could have been done much better -- such as I have experienced in other games -- and I can't help but think of that as I play (I suspect it's primarily the latter).

I don't think it has anything to do with being a sour grape, so to speak. If people continue to enjoy games that reuse elements, or that have glaring design flaws, then more power to them. I'm genuinely very jealous of but also very happy for those people; I wish it were so simple for me, but it's not. I don't get to control that, and I imagine other people in the same position don't either.

It does have to do with being judgmental. You're being judgmental about a form of entertainment and basically implying that people who still enjoy games are unintelligent. It's akin to going to a movie and complaining about any and every mistake/anachronism/fallacy that's present in the plot and then criticizing others for liking it. That's not being intelligent...that's being rude and condescending. I understand where a movie or a game is going fairly early, but I'm not gonna be a jackwagon about it and not enjoy the experience...being judgmental and anal retentive does that.

I have an acquaintance that is like that at every movie he goes to see. It's gotten to the point that I (and some others of our group of friends) don't invite him along anymore. He's not more intelligent. He's just a nit-picking jack*** who tries to make themselves "sound" more intelligent. The whole thing comes across as extreme arrogance.

I think the main reason people don't play games as much as they get older has more to do with time constraints and other financial obligations than some vague notion of ideas becoming stale.

Take it light.
#156MerydiaPosted 1/28/2013 11:34:58 PM
Again, I don't think your argument is fair, especially as you're applying it to me or the statements in this thread. It was explicitly stated that intelligence may play a role in many games becoming stale to a person. Only correlation was suggested, not causation. Please try to understand that.

I never implied that anyone is unintelligent for liking something that I don't. To say that I am claiming such a thing is a classic straw man; I am not saying that people who are less intelligent cannot also struggle to enjoy rehashed concepts, and neither am I saying that all intelligent people won't. I am simply thinking that intelligent people may be more prone to that dilemma.

I don't even think of intelligence as something to be ashamed of or proud of, that's completely silly. I am also not your friend and neither am I anything like him, if he is as you say. I can't speak for anyone else, but I can provide an example of someone who is both fair and positive but still can't siphon pleasure from a lot of the games she plays. It just happens some times.

I don't hold it against anyone else for liking things that I don't. I don't try to pick things apart for anyone else. If I don't like something and a friend asks my opinion, I politely say that I don't like it. If I'm asked to elaborate, I express myself accordingly. I said it before: I am happy for people who can enjoy what I do not, and wish I could do the same. These feelings are not always due to a malignant disposition, and neither is it always a veiled form of self-validation.
---
"You can use logic to justify almost anything. That's its power, and its flaw." -Kathryn Janeway
#157videogameking33Posted 1/29/2013 12:28:10 AM
I'm in my 30's and still play about as much as when I was younger.
---
Currently Playiing: Dishonored (360), Sniper Elite V2 (PS3), LoZ: SS (Wii)
Diehard Buffalo Bills & Sabres Fan!!...XBL GamerTag & PSN: buffalo29
#158molotov ckoctailPosted 1/29/2013 12:53:15 AM
I play less because of less time for gaming, but my interest is still high.
---
You offend, yet you say not to be so defensive. This is Indigenous land. YOU get out!
#159Banana_ManaPosted 1/29/2013 1:23:56 AM
To be a gamer you don't need to play every single day.

Play when you want, what you want. You also don't need to update the internet with your personal game-playing time availability / passion.

We don't care.

Anyway, I play more now (as an almost 30 something) than I did when I was in my early 20s / late teens.

Sure I go out less, and am less impulsive with spending money, but I don't game less. Not going out as much = more time to play!
---
A rubber band pistol was confiscated from algebra class because it was a weapon of math disruption.
#160ILikesCheesePosted 1/29/2013 6:15:07 AM(edited)
Merydia posted...
renaissoxx posted...
He's, right, but it may depend on IQ. I am an intuitive rational person with a really high IQ. Video games all seem the same...Guys in your 40s, what the hell were you playing 20 years ago? Prince of persia 1 and text RPGs on bulletin boards? Pong?

This same line of thought had occurred to me when I initially read the first post, but to be honest, I was too sheepish to post about it -- I think most people would be upset at this sort of observation (no doubt due to pride or false perception of antagonism). Other posters seem to have glazed over your input, though, surprisingly enough.

What are you, the Alt account? :D

No, many people responded to that post, albeit negatively, myself included.

First off, the post you quote is obviously by someone under the age of 18, as their timeline is WAY off. Secondly, saying IQ has anything to do with the equation is, in a word, really stupid. I have a 140+ IQ (or at least I did back in college), a Masters in Business, a very nice paying job that comes easy to me and I can waste a lot of time at, a wife, awesome house, no fricking kids, basically the good life.

There was a period in the mid-80s where video games stagnated and the teenage me lost interest. Games back then didn't really have a good multiplayer component and zero online obviously, and I was more interested in "outside the house" social pursuits This happened to me again in the 90s at another stage of my life. Now however, I find many diverse games both fun and worth my time, especially since now they are not such a solo activity.

Each new gaming generation brings with it much more technological advancement than just "better graphics". At some point, you will almost always be pulled back in to the hobby.
---
If you're omnipotent and all-powerful...why would you need to REST? On the 7th or ANY day?