This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

As you grow older, you'll play less games

#171CapnPicardPosted 1/29/2013 8:37:46 PM
I play more as I've grown older.

When i was younger I'd go out more. Now that I have a wife and kids, no more partying.
I don't watch much TV - I play video games.
---
We are the music makers,
And we are the dreamers of dreams.
#172NateRose89Posted 1/29/2013 10:40:30 PM
renaissoxx posted...
He's, right, but it may depend on IQ. I am an intuitive rational person with a really high IQ. Video games all seem the same. Every time a dev tries to cut corners, I intuitively grasp what is going on and lose interest. Repetitive content, arbitrary time sinks (like travel time), invalidating content through lack of difficulty (don't need 20 ways to heal when you never take enough damage to need any of them), and many more are all turn offs for me.

I rather feel like there is a perfect game formula and the developers keep striking out time after time trying to reach it. When you have this level of generalization skill it just seems like the same thing over and over with a different coat of paint. Even sci fi movies are completely predictable to me, so the stories are too. More iterations of the same general principals.

Guys in your 40s, what the hell were you playing 20 years ago? Prince of persia 1 and text RPGs on bulletin boards? Pong?

If I made a game people would lose their whole lives in it.

My a** it depends on IQ. I have an IQ over 140 as does my 57 year old father who still games as much as in his youth.
---
"I am no knight. I spit on them and their vows." Sandor Clegane, 1996.
#173ILikesCheesePosted 1/30/2013 6:30:38 AM
FlameDragn posted...
ILikesCheese posted...
What are you, the Alt account? :D

... saying IQ has anything to do with the equation is, in a word, really stupid. I have a 140+ IQ (or at least I did back in college)....There was a period in the mid-80s where video games stagnated and the teenage me lost interest. Games back then didn't really have a good multiplayer component and zero online obviously, and I was more interested in "outside the house" social pursuits .... Now however, I find many diverse games both fun and worth my time, especially since now they are not such a solo activity.

Nope, I'm not the alt account, and I already stated I personally wouldn't have chosen the term IQ. It has too much stigma.

All I went on to say is that I personally think intelligence may deter someone from enjoying a game (because of their ability to perceive elements they find stale), but not that it's universal, and not that a lack of outstanding intelligence would prevent this issue for anyone.

I'm not in disagreement with anyone (except for anyone who says intelligence has no possible impact on perception of recycled/stale/rehashed/whatever gaming elements)....I expected people to have a more adverse reaction to the word IQ -- which they did, but only after I quoted him/her. I was earnestly surprised at the lack of focus on that word.

You contradict yourself so many times in those few sentences it is not even funny. Also, your hypothesis is just silly. I for one (and I am sure many others on here as well) consider myself a very intelligent person, and can back that up as more than just hyperbole. (High IQ, Masters Degree from a REAL University, Good Job, All that Jazz.) Until you decided to highlight and bold face the IQ issue, I think most of us merely laughed it off and ignored it as the ruminations of a teenager trying to sound enlightened.

As the stated "intelligent individual" I am, I find many games enjoyable and unique, from the Coin-Op era to today. I think your theory is flawed because of 1) a limited field of study (experience with games), and 2) you have an inflated, 'above it all' pretentious opinion of yourself. I'd also be rather surprised to learn you are over the age of 25, but that fact would say more about your development as a person and still not corrode my first two points in any way.

Just my two cents.

(Postscript - You were earnestly surprised? I've heard the expression "honestly surprised" and "sincerely surprised", but not so much "earnestly surprised". Um...okay. Whatever floats your boat. Makes me think you have a friend named 'Vern' for some reason though...)
---
If you're omnipotent and all-powerful...why would you need to REST? On the 7th or ANY day?
#174_OujiDoza_Posted 1/30/2013 7:00:34 AM
NateRose89 posted...
My a**

You can say ass on this site, dude.
---
U CAN MAKE FUN OF ME BEING AN EAGLES FAN BUT I HAVE A BETTER LIFE THAN YOU A GF WHO LOVES ME
http://i.imgur.com/9XBfO.jpg (DC wat u think)
#175MerydiaPosted 1/30/2013 3:17:25 PM(edited)
ILikesCheese posted...
I find it amusing how every accusation (which are loaded accusations, by majority) you make is something you employ yourself, and then accuse me of contradiction and hyperbole.

I had this much longer post defending myself against your adamant provocation and need to poison the well, but I said forget it. You're only going to keep on going with it and it's become juvenile at this point.

I mean, picking on age (another loaded accusation -- if it's not your age, it's your development!) and someone's word choice, really? Not only were you truly grasping with the whole "earnest" thing -- look it up, it fits, I wasn't going for an expression as much as you wish I was -- but it's just so petty to try and overpower my argument with attacks on my character, none of which really fit or that you couldn't hope to really know about. It's desperate and it's filler.

I have also played hundreds of games throughout the entirety of my life, so your observation about my field of study was incorrect. Another assumption on your end. Or were you trying to say that simply playing games isn't enough? In that case, it goes both ways. My interpretations were at least gray, but yours were absolutes and you tried to back them with anecdotes.

Also, I have many credentials relevant to this discussion, but I don't believe in appealing to authority and won't play that game. Ironic, considering I'm the purported harbinger of arrogance here. I also think riding anecdotes is a weak argument strategy -- fallacy of composition and all that.

Edit: I had a bit more to say.
---
"You can use logic to justify almost anything. That's its power, and its flaw." -Kathryn Janeway
#176DrFeelgood1984Posted 1/30/2013 2:23:29 PM
SiriusSternFan posted...
Because you get to the point where you've seen it all, and "done" it all. There's not much new material out there, folks...more of the same, with a fresh coat of paint on it. The shooters are mere clones, with new levels, and the other types of games (sports, adveture, etc.) have all been done before.

I know a lot of you get excited, but like I said, as you age, your gameplay will become less of your life.

I'm 28, I play games as much as I ever did. I tend to lose interest sometimes for a couple weeks, but I always come back to the greatest hobby in existence. If anything, I probably play more now because I can buy any and every game I feel like playing. No more waiting til Christmas, I'm a big boy!
#177chex81Posted 1/30/2013 2:49:15 PM
30+ here and playing about 20% the amount of games when i was in my 20's
---
gt/psn: chex81
#178ThePatrickPosted 1/30/2013 5:29:01 PM
I dunno, TC, I'm pushin' 40 and I've played tons of games over the years, still play lots of 'em.
---
Ryuuga Gotoku (Yakuza) series text FAQs available at GameFAQs
PSN: hatoriki_kai, XBL: hatoriki, YouTube: ryled, Twitter: @Hatoriki, Me: Bored
#179RonBurgundy929Posted 1/30/2013 9:10:35 PM
Bullllllllllllllllllllllllll s***.

I'm 31 and I have a huge backlog. I don't have enough time in the day to play em all. I buy a bunch of games ever year. I'll never EVER get sick of playing videogames. I can't wait for the new consoles.
---
XBOX360 GT: http://www.xboxgamertag.com/gamercard/RonBurgundy929/fullnxe/card.png
#180ILikesCheesePosted 1/31/2013 7:06:53 AM
Merydia posted...
I find it amusing how every accusation (which are loaded accusations, by majority) you make is something you employ yourself, and then accuse me of contradiction and hyperbole.

I had this much longer post defending myself against your adamant provocation and need to poison the well, but I said forget it. You're only going to keep on going with it and it's become juvenile at this point.

I mean, picking on age (another loaded accusation -- if it's not your age, it's your development!) and someone's word choice, really? Not only were you truly grasping with the whole "earnest" thing -- look it up, it fits, I wasn't going for an expression as much as you wish I was -- but it's just so petty to try and overpower my argument with attacks on my character, none of which really fit or that you couldn't hope to really know about. It's desperate and it's filler.

I have also played hundreds of games throughout the entirety of my life, so your observation about my field of study was incorrect. Another assumption on your end. Or were you trying to say that simply playing games isn't enough? In that case, it goes both ways. My interpretations were at least gray, but yours were absolutes and you tried to back them with anecdotes.

Also, I have many credentials relevant to this discussion, but I don't believe in appealing to authority and won't play that game. Ironic, considering I'm the purported harbinger of arrogance here. I also think riding anecdotes is a weak argument strategy -- fallacy of composition and all that.

Edit: I had a bit more to say.

In response to your last sentence, it just doesn't really doesn't matter.

You would still be pretentious and completely wrong about the "The smarter a person is, the higher their IQ, the more they will be bored with video games" hypothesis, no matter what 'credentials' you bring to the table. (Which, by the way, you didn't defend in any way, choosing instead to attack other points of my posts including offhand comments on your age and jokes about your word choice. Which, really, NOBODY says "Earnestly surprised." And since I said the phrase "sincerely surprised", you should know I do not have to look up the meaning of the word. Pay more attention next time.)

If your claim was a "theory", it has been soundly trounced by myself and just about everyone else here. If the "High IQ = Boredom with videogames" claim was NOT a theory...then we tread into the the terrain of the the age old GameFAQS Opinion vs Fact Debate. You have stated your opinion, and many others have stated a counter-opinion. Thus, you are in the minority in what you believe. But don't worry, there's nothing wrong with that.

:D
---
If you're omnipotent and all-powerful...why would you need to REST? On the 7th or ANY day?