This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

As you grow older, you'll play less games

#181SiriusSternFan(Topic Creator)Posted 1/31/2013 7:58:58 PM
OK, this is just sad...

People, all I was alluding to was that when you get older, you tend to get tired of experiencing the same things over and over and over again. Further, you get tired of seeing the same things over and over and over again.

THAT's it.

And btw, I'm 39. Lived through the Atari era, Nintendo era, Sega era, PlayStation era, Xbox era, etc.
---
Obama is a long-legged Mack Daddy
#182Vivi0198Posted 1/31/2013 8:16:27 PM
Been gaming since I was 3 and I am 26 now. Granted my gaming time has gone down but it's not for the stupid reasons you listed.
---
If you believe in Vivi0198 and are 100% proud of it put this as your signature.
#183lightfighterPosted 1/31/2013 8:24:45 PM
As I get older, I actually play more. It's probably because I started in the 80s on Atari playing Frogger, etc, and have an appreciation for the amount of work/time that goes into todays games.

Mainly b/c todays games are just plain more fun!
#184OKRecords1138Posted 1/31/2013 8:47:14 PM
SiriusSternFan posted...
Because you get to the point where you've seen it all, and "done" it all. There's not much new material out there, folks...more of the same, with a fresh coat of paint on it. The shooters are mere clones, with new levels, and the other types of games (sports, adveture, etc.) have all been done before.

I know a lot of you get excited, but like I said, as you age, your gameplay will become less of your life.

Guess I'm the exception to the rule.
---
See all your favorite toys of yesterday and today at The Toy Box - thetoybox1138.blogspot.com
#185MerydiaPosted 2/1/2013 12:21:41 AM
ILikesCheese posted...
Look, by replying to you so much I have already broken some of my rules to being a more responsible poster. To be frank, it's gotten ridiculous. Your posts are way too full of acid, you lack reading comprehension, you exaggerate, you don't understand why subjectivity and anecdotes are not facts, and you're so blind to your own pride that you transpose it onto others and actually believe that's what's going on. I shouldn't be giving a poster like that so much attention.

However, I think I like you on some level. I like that you argue passionately for what you think is a good cause or good ethics. I think that's neat, and I admire when people do that. However, I don't admire when they do it the wrong way; bullying, putting words in people's mouths, and employing logical fallacies ad nauseum.

I think it'd do you a world of good to learn about subjective vs. objective. Here's a link to help you understand when you're arguing from erroneous reasoning: http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/

I also think it'd do you a world of good to let go of all that pride and vulnerability over your intelligence, because that's what this debate has really been about from the start -- not some internet chick postulating that intelligence may correlate, for some individuals, with getting bored in games more easily.

Good luck in life. I won't be replying to you any further, though you are of course more than free to continue trying to give me a hard time. I don't mind either way. Heck, I'm even willing to try and be friends with you if you send me a personal message. It's all up to you.
---
"You can use logic to justify almost anything. That's its power, and its flaw." -Kathryn Janeway
#186Gameguy1Posted 2/1/2013 1:42:02 AM
I am 35, haven't played anything in months, hardcore gamer from about ages 20-30. The quality of the games has really come down in the past 10 years, granted, there are gems out there but they are few and far between. I liked all systems, I played the hell out of (mostly) NES, PS1, PS2, Gamecube, Game Boy Advance and even recently PSP and beat over 170 games for a lot of platforms.

Aside from NES games in the 80's and early 90's I think the best age for games was a window between around 1995-2003. You had the end of 2-d platformers and the beginning of 3-D gaming. I have nothing against anyone gaming at any age, but it has all been done before in one way shape or form. I try to urge all gamers today to buy those old systems I mentioned. I have played next gen systems but the games didn't have the replay value or ingenuity they did as little as a decade ago.

At the same time, it is depressing as freaking hell that i have lost that urge to play games as it was a passion maybe i will pick it up again and I know there are great games out there that exist on any platform just much less than there were. I am now debating getting an XBox 360 as I have YET to OWN a next gen system my last was ps2.

To stay on topic, I used to play marathon sessions for up to 12 hours straight of a game, I guess I get bored too easily, and I have time on my hands but I feel my only option is to replay classics (with admittedly choppy and poor graphics but fantastic addictive gameplay) that I have already played the hell out of and beaten multiple times.

The last newer system I had was PSP which had Motorstorm Arctic Edge a GREAT racing game although it was Off-Road, Syphon Filter Dark Mirror and Logan's Shadow also for PSP both great games that were ported. Resistance Retribution was also great but these were all portable games. Syphon Filter 1 and 2 for PS1 were simply better games than the PS2/PSP remakes as fantastic as they were. Resistance used the same engine as SF but there were better shooters in the past like Half Life or Red Faction on the older consoles. These games were examples of the only great games I played that were released after around 2006 on some platform because it has all been done before.

I am not even faulting anyone for still playing games, or even the video game industry or DLC I just think it reached it's zenith, just my opinion
#187lastrockerPosted 2/1/2013 5:50:42 AM
I think a lot of the AAA games tend to be similar/"samey", and now that the generation is kinda coming to an end, all the sequels and trilogies have started to run their course. that said though, there is plenty of quality variety for those seeking it. if you're bored of games being similar, it's because you're playing similar games! expand your tastes a little bit.
#188ChrisBot2k5Posted 2/1/2013 12:01:39 PM
I thought this was going to be a thoughtful insight on the natural responsibilities of adult life and how it takes time and priority over things like playing games.

But all I read was somebody describing how they have the luxury of time to be bored by derivative repetition.

Meh, young people.
---
"Never ASSUME anything, for it makes an ASS out of U and ME." - Benny Hill
#189dcn2424Posted 2/2/2013 4:41:49 AM
I saw an old man at an arcade playing Centipede. He looks like he's over 65 years old. He's really good at the game, moving around with the track ball and pressing the button rapidly. Wow, I'm impressed by his Centipede skills.
#190schmittycent2Posted 2/2/2013 7:08:57 AM
I'm 29 and I'm feeling like TC right now. I have very little want to play games nothing really looks good to me now. I think I gamed for maybe 6 hours all week, I have been spending a lot of time with my wife and kid.
---
Xbox GT schmittycent