This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

As you grow older, you'll play less games

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox 360
  3. As you grow older, you'll play less games
2 years ago#191
As I grow older, I realize more and more how much I would rather game than talk to my family. My kids are always "Dad, can you take us to dinner?"

What am I? A bank?
Christ. I just bought a second copy of Halo 4, there's chicken broth in the fridge. Figure it out!
---
Now I know what a TV dinner feels like.
2 years ago#192
Gameguy1 posted...
I am 35, haven't played anything in months, hardcore gamer from about ages 20-30. The quality of the games has really come down in the past 10 years, granted, there are gems out there but they are few and far between. I liked all systems, I played the hell out of (mostly) NES, PS1, PS2, Gamecube, Game Boy Advance and even recently PSP and beat over 170 games for a lot of platforms.

Aside from NES games in the 80's and early 90's I think the best age for games was a window between around 1995-2003. You had the end of 2-d platformers and the beginning of 3-D gaming. I have nothing against anyone gaming at any age, but it has all been done before in one way shape or form. I try to urge all gamers today to buy those old systems I mentioned. I have played next gen systems but the games didn't have the replay value or ingenuity they did as little as a decade ago.

At the same time, it is depressing as freaking hell that i have lost that urge to play games as it was a passion maybe i will pick it up again and I know there are great games out there that exist on any platform just much less than there were. I am now debating getting an XBox 360 as I have YET to OWN a next gen system my last was ps2.

To stay on topic, I used to play marathon sessions for up to 12 hours straight of a game, I guess I get bored too easily, and I have time on my hands but I feel my only option is to replay classics (with admittedly choppy and poor graphics but fantastic addictive gameplay) that I have already played the hell out of and beaten multiple times.

The last newer system I had was PSP which had Motorstorm Arctic Edge a GREAT racing game although it was Off-Road, Syphon Filter Dark Mirror and Logan's Shadow also for PSP both great games that were ported. Resistance Retribution was also great but these were all portable games. Syphon Filter 1 and 2 for PS1 were simply better games than the PS2/PSP remakes as fantastic as they were. Resistance used the same engine as SF but there were better shooters in the past like Half Life or Red Faction on the older consoles. These games were examples of the only great games I played that were released after around 2006 on some platform because it has all been done before.

I am not even faulting anyone for still playing games, or even the video game industry or DLC I just think it reached it's zenith, just my opinion

Over.... OVER 170?!?!

The fact that you can actually count the number of games you've beaten is way more telling than the paltry figure you provided.

One question - if you've already quit gaming, and don't even own an Xbox 360, why the hell are you posting on the Xbox 360 board of a videogame forum?
---
SHOOTEMUP
/XBL|PSN\ - Gabrius
2 years ago#193
Games are a great stress release so I see people playing them more and more as they age.
---
Achievement Unlocked
Into the Void 150(G)Learn the truth of Sithis and lived to be his Listener forever.
2 years ago#194
Well I know it is pathetic to count the number of games I beat, I just started doing it a few years back I guess I have too much time on my hands. The reason I went to the XBox 360 Board is because I am contemplating getting an XBox 360 right now, and when I saw the topic, it appealed to me.
2 years ago#195
I am not exactly thrilled about the prospect of quitting gaming, it is incredibly frustrating/depressing actually that I have less desire to play games. I found in the past 2 years I have played much less games and then a few weeks ago donated my modded PSP Go to soldiers in Iraq/Afghanistan because I lost the desire to play the games.

My main concerns with getting a 360 is will it hold up and not break down, will I use it and will I find enough good games.
2 years ago#196
Well I know it is pathetic to count the number of games I beat, I just started doing it a few years back I guess I have too much time on my hands. The reason I went to the XBox 360 Board is because I am contemplating getting an XBox 360 right now, and when I saw the topic, it appealed to me.

It's not pathetic, the number is just quite low for someone our age who has been gaming for 20-30 years.

When I think of just Mario, Megaman, Street Fighter, KoF, and (of course) SHMUPs... I've already lost count of the games I've beaten.

As for the 360 - get one. Even if you (mistakenly, IMHO) believe that modern games have no appeal, XBLA has enough there that someone with old-school sensibilities would definitely enjoy.
---
SHOOTEMUP
/XBL|PSN\ - Gabrius
2 years ago#197
Merydia posted...
Look, by replying to you so much I have already broken some of my rules to being a more responsible poster. To be frank, it's gotten ridiculous. Your posts are way too full of acid, you lack reading comprehension, you exaggerate, you don't understand why subjectivity and anecdotes are not facts, and you're so blind to your own pride that you transpose it onto others and actually believe that's what's going on. I shouldn't be giving a poster like that so much attention.

I also think it'd do you a world of good to let go of all that pride and vulnerability over your intelligence, because that's what this debate has really been about from the start -- not some internet chick postulating that intelligence may correlate, for some individuals, with getting bored in games more easily.

You take the FOX NEWS approach to life and "facts", don't you?

1) How do I "lack reading comprehension"? Examples please. Otherwise you're just talking out your backside.

2) How do I exaggerate? Examples please. Otherwise you're just talking out your backside.

3) I never claimed that anecdotes are facts. They are...wait for it...just anecdotes.

4) How am I blinded by my own pride? I wasn't the one who started the whole "I, the great Merydia, and others of my superior kind with high IQs should be quite bored with the repetitiveness of videogames these days. But I guess they are good for the unwashed masses and lower classes. Tut-tut." conversation. You would be the one who slips into that "prideful" category I'm afraid.

5) Nice Deflection Tactic: Throw out a left field insult that I am "vulnerable over my intelligence" and falsely claim that the debate has been about something completely alien to the entire discussion. (i.e. "Act like a petulant child spurned on the playground and lie your butt off.")

6) I find my tone more acerbic than acidic.

:D
---
If you're omnipotent and all-powerful...why would you need to REST? On the 7th or ANY day?
2 years ago#198
IDontLikesTrolls
---
SHOOTEMUP
/XBL|PSN\ - Gabrius
2 years ago#199
gabrius posted...
IDontLikesTrolls

See a therapist. Then one day you might come to terms with yourself.

Unless of course you're a Scientologist.

---
If you're omnipotent and all-powerful...why would you need to REST? On the 7th or ANY day?
2 years ago#200
ILikesCheese posted...
gabrius posted...
IDontLikesTrolls

See a therapist. Then one day you might come to terms with yourself.

Unless of course you're a Scientologist.

Hint - the lame ass smiley at the end of every single one of your posts doesn't do anything but make you even more of a troll, troll.
---
SHOOTEMUP
/XBL|PSN\ - Gabrius
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox 360
  3. As you grow older, you'll play less games

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived