This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

As you grow older, you'll play less games

#41darkdragongirlPosted 1/27/2013 11:17:39 PM
I'm on the younger side of my 20's.

I disagree though as I really enjoy playing video games. I just work a lot of hours, and try to sometimes hangout with my friends.

I have actually managed to form a backlog due to work taking up my time. It is worth it since I can buy almost everything I want after rent, and bills. Just exhausted when I want to play.
---
Chespin 2013
Chespin me right round like a record
#42darkharePosted 1/27/2013 11:25:32 PM(edited)
i play alot of arcade games, and rent retail games for singleplayer or co-op campaign run throughs with friends. ive found that i enjoy playing co-op arcade games like dungeon defenders, minecraft, guardian heroes and local co-op games like rampage, xybots, storage inc so much more then having to deal with the unwashed masses of tripleA online multiplayer.

---
a fish knows nothing but biting the hook.
#43Reinsol70Posted 1/27/2013 11:34:10 PM
I'm 29 and turning 30 this year and am a happy long-time gamer. My girlfriend games as well. Sims mostly but we also spend some quality MMO time together too.

I find that I agree in some aspects that gaming has become slightly more monotonous as I get older, many of the old tropes have been worn-down and feel stale. But likewise one must understand that nostalgia has a place in that as well. There were good games and bad games back in the day, just like now.

Those games that are made these days with due care and attention from the devs. really shine for me, and those moments make it worth-it as a gamer. All in all, the true gems shine all the brighter for me; and I've learned better which games to avoid.

I agree also that having a large disposable income and free-time outside of work to play games is, to me, simply awesome. When I was younger I found myself lacking in disposable income and as such my choices were limited, but now there's a balance you find as an adult between gaming, relationships and friends that many couldn't have in their teens or early 20's.

I for one believe that the audience is getting older, but going strong, and I look forward to seeing how games will cater to that.

Give it time OP, give it time.
#44ChargrilledPosted 1/27/2013 11:51:40 PM
Winternova posted...
I'm 41. I'm playing the same amount of games I played in my 20s...maybe more, as I don't have to worry about dating.

Same age. Pretty much the same reason
---
GT : DeadJericho / PSN/Wii-U : Focalpoint /
Correct terminology is 'Could NOT care less'. Learn English!
#45wolfy42Posted 1/28/2013 12:30:05 AM
I just turned 40 and I'm a life long gamer, going back to the zork/pong and pinball days. I even made games for awhile.

I have, for the most part, steadily played games more as I have gotten older. This is due to a variety of reasons.

When very young (16 and under), I went to school during the day, played sports and had friends I would hang out with. Yes, we played games...but I'd say less then 10% of my time was spent playing video games at that age...which was still much more then most.

In my early 20's I had friends that were into video games as well. We would play Doom, super mario world etc for hours (marathons) over the weekend. At the same time I was going to school, had a job, and we did tons of other things like river rafting, going to burning man, playing magic the gathering etc. I still probably upped my gaming though to at least 20% of my total time.

By 30 I was married. I married someone who also enjoyed video games (not as much as me, but some), and I still played video games a decent amount. Diablo 2 was out by then along with other games like Phantasy Star online...and not much further in the future Online gaming went from muds (which I played alot) to Everquest/World of warcraft etc. For the first 4 years or so after getting married we were busy with other stuff...but since I had my own business by then, I had much more free time...and enjoyed playing games with my wife more. Still I had other hobbies like reading (which I still did alot back then) and we traveled etc alot. I probably spent about 30-40% of my time playing video games at that point (I'm not counting sleeping as part of the time).

For the past 3-4 years my wife has been sick and I'm home most of the time. We don't travel (obviously) and I don't even teach anymore. I've cut way back on reading...usually only reading favorite authors....and I got an IPAD...which lets me game from anywhere (much better then my old DS and PSP's did). Now I spend at least 50% of my non sleeping time gaming...and some days I probably spend over 70% of it. I like to cook etc, and me and my wife have favorite shows we watch together....but most of my time is spent gaming.

As you get older, if you have a hobby you really like, you should naturally have more resources and the freedom to do what you like more. You also may (not every one does) slow down as well and spend more time at home. That leads to either watching more tv, reading etc....or gaming more (not less).

Even with as much as I am gaming now adays I have a HUGE backlog of games to play as well. That is another factor..having plenty of money for as many games as you could ever want. Add in the huge amount of time you can sink into MMORPGS like dungeons and dragons online (one of my favorites) and yeah...you can game forever if you want.
---
No duckies, just drowning.
#46kayniePosted 1/28/2013 1:12:21 AM
I think I play games more as I get older, as I have less buddies to hang out with now (compared to college times) so I just chill at home and gaming after work everyday.
#47otisanimePosted 1/28/2013 1:15:29 AM
I'm 7 months from being 30, and I play more games than I did when I was younger, because, coupled with having more money as an adult, the modern age has made it far easier to find bargains on games. i've probably played more games in the last 3 years than I did in the entire timespan of ages 6-20.
---
PSN: OtimusPSN // XBOX Live: Otimus // Steam: mightypotatojones
Now playing: Tribes Ascend (PC)
#48SythisTaruPosted 1/28/2013 1:22:14 AM
Well, I'm going into game design if it kills me (Not as a programmer, but as an audio engineer). So I consider playing games to be studying.
#49charlton3kPosted 1/28/2013 1:24:29 AM
Yeah I used to play a lot of games, now I'm almost 26 and i'm playing even more! Couldn't do much back then other than replaying sonic stages over and over again, then with 4 disc long rpgs and achievments adding replay value, that's where all my time is going to.
#50JenniferTatePosted 1/28/2013 1:27:17 AM
headwounds13 posted...
Never get too old for post and ghost b**** sessions on gaming message boards though, they're always fresh and exiting.

Ha.
---
Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth. - Mike Tyson