This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What games are you playing right now and how would you rate them?

#61CyricsServant(Topic Creator)Posted 2/16/2013 8:44:32 AM(edited)
Thirty Flights of Loving - 8/10: Wow . . . this was a hard game to give a score to. TFoL is a miniscule-in-scope PC title that attempts to convey a story without any actual dialogue and very little text. There's very hardly any gameplay, and the whole game can be completed in 10 to 15 minutes. Even less than that if you don't bother to soak up the atmosphere.

Sounds pretty pathetic, right? Well lets not be so hasty! I don't want to get too detailed and risk spoiling the game for people, so let me just say the game works quite well as an experiment. It seeks to set different contrasting moods, and evoke conflicting emotions, over its 10 minute length, and I'd say its largely successful. The story manages to be very engrossing despite being so short, and the game's presentation is extremely unique.

TFoL also comes with a few other extras to justify its $5 price tag. There's a commentary mode that lets you get into the delevoper's head . . . which I thought was pretty neat. It also comes with a freeware game called Gravity Bone that's very similar in style to TFoL . . . and has some actual gameplay . . . which is great if you're into that sort of thing!

Overall, I was able to walk away with over an hour of playtime according to STEAM, so if you're worried about its length I think TFoL manages to justify its price. Length aside though, this game tries something new, and in this era of gaming I think that's pretty much priceless.
#62darkharePosted 2/16/2013 9:19:39 AM(edited)
halo4- this is the first fps ive seriously played since unreal tournament, im enjoying it quite alot id give it a 9.5-10

spelunky- freaking awesome rogue-like, id give it a solid 10

midway arcade origins- well worth the $10 for co-op in rampage, xenophobia, xybots.

happy wars- ive spent little money here and their on it, its a solid f2p game that isnt pay to win.

skulls of the shogun- having lots of fun with this little tactical strategy game, 8.5-10

---
i have no loyalty for either xbox or 360, im a casual gamer and dont find it a insult.
#63Limp_sugarPosted 2/16/2013 9:06:01 AM
Far cry 3 is a ten.
---
Support your developer. Buy new.
#64SunDevil77Posted 2/16/2013 9:14:00 AM
Hitman HD Collection: 7/10. I just can't get into Hitman 2. Haven't tried 3, loving Blood Money.

Dead Space 3: 7/10 Good game overall, a couple "frustrating as all hell" parts. Ending is...eh.

Fire Emblem Awakening 9/10. The epitome of SRPGs. Beautiful.

Aliens: CM 6.5/10. Not nearly as bad as people say...if you're a fan of the films, you'll find the diamond in the rough.
---
Royal with Cheese. What do they call a Big Mac? Big Mac's a Big Mac, but they call it Le Big Mac.
#65CyricsServant(Topic Creator)Posted 2/16/2013 7:44:47 PM(edited)
SunDevil77 posted...
Dead Space 3: 7/10 Good game overall, a couple "frustrating as all hell" parts. Ending is...eh.

That's interesting.

SunDevil77, I might just be getting you confused with another poster, but weren't you saying earlier in the week that DS is a really great game and that it deserves better than the reviews its been getting?

What caused you to have a change of heart? Does the game lose steam at some point? A few of the reviews I read mentioned a lot of backtracking towards the end. . .
#66SunDevil77Posted 2/16/2013 7:45:47 PM
CyricsServant posted...
SunDevil77 posted...

That's interesting.

SunDevil77, I might just be getting you confused with another poster, but weren't you saying earlier in the week that DS is a really great game and deserves better than the reviews it got?

What caused you to have a change of heart? Does the game lose steam at some point? A few of the reviews I read mentioned a lot of backtracking towards the end. . .

I said it was great, I didn't really mention reviews. As for the last 2 hours or so, it pissed me off a bit. The first 4/5ths of the game is pretty darn strong, though. A great co op experience. But if I were to put a grade on it overall...single player and co op taken into account, it would be a 7/10. Good game, almost great.
---
Royal with Cheese. What do they call a Big Mac? Big Mac's a Big Mac, but they call it Le Big Mac.
#67CyricsServant(Topic Creator)Posted 2/16/2013 7:50:21 PM
SunDevil77 posted...
CyricsServant posted...
SunDevil77 posted...

That's interesting.

SunDevil77, I might just be getting you confused with another poster, but weren't you saying earlier in the week that DS is a really great game and deserves better than the reviews it got?

I said it was great, I didn't really mention reviews. As for the last 2 hours or so, it pissed me off a bit. The first 4/5ths of the game is pretty darn strong, though. A great co op experience. But if I were to put a grade on it overall...single player and co op taken into account, it would be a 7/10. Good game, almost great.

Ah, I see.

Would you say it's still worth playing if you don't plan on touching co-op? Is the single player just as good as the first two, or does the lack of scares/hallucinations take away from the experience?
#68SunDevil77Posted 2/16/2013 7:57:16 PM
The single player is still good, and there are some pretty darn tense parts. But it does indeed detach itself from the horror aspects a bit.

If you don't plan on co op, I would wait for a price drop. Definitely still worth owning, imo. Good replayability, and the weapon crafting is actually a LOT of fun to play with.
---
#69CyricsServant(Topic Creator)Posted 2/16/2013 8:03:35 PM
Thanks SunDevil77.

. . . Yeah, for whatever reason my hype level for the latest Dead Space is kind of low. I do plan on playing it, and probably just for its sp unless it has local co-op, but I think I can hold off on buying it until there's a significant price drop.

Right now I'm really interested in seeing what happens to the Dead Space franchise. An EA rep claimed it needed 5 million sales to get a sequel, but I find it hard to believe they're going to scrap a multi-million seller IP just because it doesn't meat an unrealistic and arbitrary sales number. I think it might have an impact on how much freedom they give Visceral though, and whether or not the series ends up going the RE: Revelations route or the RE6 route.
#70CyricsServant(Topic Creator)Posted 2/18/2013 6:21:13 PM
And now I reveal myself to be a gaming philistine.

Penumbra: Overture - 5/10: I feel kind of bad giving this game such a low score after only spending 40 or so minutes with it, but I just don't see it becoming much better. In many ways this plays and looks like an ugly prototype of Amnesia. I could live with that, but the environments I've seen so far are drab and uninteresting, and the monsters I've bumped into aren't very scary looking . . . honestly, I think the abominations in RE6 probably have more of a scare factor. A lot of the basic mechanics, like swinging a hammer or turning a valve, feel extremely awkward with a keyboard and mouse. Worst of all, the game struggles on my PC and I had to disable the dynamic lighting just to play it. This almost completely robs the game of its atmosphere, so right now I'm not very optimistic about finishing Overture and its two follow ups.

FTL: Faster Than Light - 6.5/10: I can see the appeal, but this game probably isn't for me. The rogue-like elements are rubbing me the wrong way, and it makes me feel nostalgic for the Escape Velocity series. I don't see myself putting more than a couple of hours into this game.