This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is there a difference between 1080p, 1080i, and 720p? Which one is better?

#1GGearXPosted 1/28/2013 1:03:30 PM
42 in Panasonic TV. Plasma.
I don't have an HDMI, so I can't comment on 1080.
I was looking around on Google and read that all Xbox360 games are native 720p. So what happens if you pick 1080p? Does the picture get messed up somehow? Do you guys notice a difference?
And did you guys get your TVs calibrated for better picture? Is it worth it to have it calibrated?
---
GT: KryDamoure *Insert cool line here *
.............I'm a very shy guy........
#2SwtorN00bPosted 1/28/2013 1:05:49 PM
Most games Now are sub-Hd, Consoles ever rarely perform well under 720p or 1080p. You are better off getting or sticking with 720p. Because upscaled res's look like dog crap.
#3Killah PriestPosted 1/28/2013 1:07:32 PM
calibration is an opinion thing, some people swear by it but personally I think it makes the picture look washed out with soft focus.

if you feel like your colors are off and the black levels are inaccurate you might want to look into calibration.
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
#4Super CreaturesPosted 1/28/2013 1:09:26 PM
Except for the fact that if your console doesn't do it, your TV most likely will, right?

In other words, the image is going to be scaled to your TV's resolution anyway.

Also, the Xbox 360 is typically better at upscaling than TVs are, so you are better off setting your console to display your TV's native resolution, instead of leaving it up to the TV to do the scaling, regardless of hat the game's native resolution is.
---
R.I.P. Eve English (Feb. 12, 1968 - Oct. 13, 2010)
Momma Eve, you will be missed.
#5SunDevil77Posted 1/28/2013 1:10:59 PM
1080p I the "best" res for a TV.

I'm not into all the which looks best for consoles, so I can't help in that area...but 1080p is generally labeled as the way to go when buying a new tv
---
Bro, when you tack on mass, you sacrifice flexibility. That's just a straight up fact
#6GGearX(Topic Creator)Posted 1/28/2013 1:12:53 PM
Super Creatures posted...
Except for the fact that if your console doesn't do it, your TV most likely will, right?

In other words, the image is going to be scaled to your TV's resolution anyway.

Also, the Xbox 360 is typically better at upscaling than TVs are, so you are better off setting your console to display your TV's native resolution, instead of leaving it up to the TV to do the scaling, regardless of hat the game's native resolution is.

Wait. If my TV is native 1080 and I have composite cables that display in 720p does the TV upscale it or does the Xbox360 do the upscale. How can you tell?
---
#7Killah PriestPosted 1/28/2013 1:14:40 PM
if you set the xbox to 720p the tv does scaling, most televisions scale everything to their native resolution.

if you set the xbox to 1080p the xbox does the scaling.
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
#8GGearX(Topic Creator)Posted 1/28/2013 1:21:34 PM
SunDevil77 posted...
1080p I the "best" res for a TV.

I'm not into all the which looks best for consoles, so I can't help in that area...but 1080p is generally labeled as the way to go when buying a new tv

I have the TV already. I'm just trying to figure out how to bring out its full potential. Without talking to the geek squad.
I switched from 480 to 720 and noticed a difference. But if wasn't groundbreaking. Every thing looked clearer but something felt off. Like the colors or something. Like in a dark area in dark souls or halo. I can't see a thing. And in bright places the whole screen has this whiteness all over. The colors feel brighter, but ( not sure how to describe it) the colors don't look natural.
---
#9GGearX(Topic Creator)Posted 1/28/2013 1:24:38 PM
Killah Priest posted...
if you set the xbox to 720p the tv does scaling, most televisions scale everything to their native resolution.

if you set the xbox to 1080p the xbox does the scaling.

Ok I switched the settings and now I can't see a damn thing. I set it to 1080p.
---
#10The_Dark_Slay3rPosted 1/28/2013 1:33:52 PM
Switch to Game Mode on your TV.
---
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/2000325-xbox-360-general-social