This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is there a difference between 1080p, 1080i, and 720p? Which one is better?

#61GGearX(Topic Creator)Posted 1/28/2013 4:24:52 PM
Killah Priest posted...
Thanks. Still deciding on wether to pay for it to be calibrated. Is it a noticeable Difference?

search your model number on avsforums, they should have recommended guideline settings so you don't have to pay for calibration.

Just checked it. Thanks. Doesn't say anything about game Mode though. Are all modes the same? What's so special about game Mode. I don't see a difference other than the colors are more washed out.
---
GT: KryDamoure *Insert cool line here *
.............I'm a very shy guy........
#62RahzarXPosted 1/28/2013 4:31:02 PM
GGearX posted...
RahzarX posted...
If you get a 720p tv, and decide you want a Wii u, it's going to produce overscan. Meaning it won't fit the screen in the menu. There is no fix as of now.

Good thing I don't have a 720p TV then huh? Did they announce when they are going to patch that? Loading times are atrocious. Good thing WW HD is coming out.

Nope, they haven't even addressed the issue strangely.

It's kind of weird... I suspect it will be fixed in the big spring and summer updates though. I hope.
---
whythefat "DDR, I notice your karma is 567. That 5+6+7= 18. 18 plus your IQ is 19. There were 19 hijackers on 911. You are a terrorist."
#63triple sPosted 1/28/2013 4:35:56 PM
Sheepinator posted...
triple s posted...
Holy ****, are you serious? I am HIGHLY aware that most content on the 360 doesn't render at true 1080i, all I said was that 1080i provides a sharper image than 720p on a 1080p HDTV and then your ass that apparently has a stick stuck so far up it that you can't seem to grasp that. Did I say for him to set his 360 to 1080i? No I didn't, I told him to get an HDMI cable and set it to 1080p but no, your ass keeps going on and on and rambling about winning this argument even though it's baseless and no one gives a damn but you.

Apparently you care a great deal, so much that you keep going on about 1080i games for some reason known only to yourself.

I really have no idea what point your are trying to make, but have at it. You're annoying as **** and it's just easier to block you for that I don't have to deal with your ass again.
---
GT:Triple S 06
PSN:Triple_S_09
#64SheepinatorPosted 1/28/2013 4:44:00 PM
triple s posted...
Sheepinator posted...
triple s posted...
Holy ****, are you serious? I am HIGHLY aware that most content on the 360 doesn't render at true 1080i, all I said was that 1080i provides a sharper image than 720p on a 1080p HDTV and then your ass that apparently has a stick stuck so far up it that you can't seem to grasp that. Did I say for him to set his 360 to 1080i? No I didn't, I told him to get an HDMI cable and set it to 1080p but no, your ass keeps going on and on and rambling about winning this argument even though it's baseless and no one gives a damn but you.

Apparently you care a great deal, so much that you keep going on about 1080i games for some reason known only to yourself.

I really have no idea what point your are trying to make, but have at it. You're annoying as **** and it's just easier to block you for that I don't have to deal with your ass again.

The point was made, and it was perfectly simple I thought. Let me try to rephrase it for you using shorter words. The biggest selling franchise on 360 runs at around 720p at 60fps. One of the biggest sellers on XBLA, Trials, is the same. That's 720 new lines of information every 1/60th second. You said it yourself, a 1080i TV displays half of 1080 lines each 1/60th second.
---
My mad face and my happy face are the same.
#65kingwutuguPosted 1/29/2013 1:07:59 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#66SparkItUpPosted 1/29/2013 2:31:59 AM
lokinineteen posted...
The_Dark_Slay3r posted...
Switch to Game Mode on your TV.

I have a 1080i Sammy from end of 2006 & if I turn game mode on it makes it dark as night so I have it off.

Edit: Just had a look at my tv settings & I can adjust brightness, contrast & sharpness. Never knew that before! So I assume game mode would be the way to go once Ive adjusted them all?

^ this...I used to put my TV on game mode, but it displays it to dark (to be fair, it is the games intention...but it is just too dark). I know keep it on Vivid so I can actually see what the hell is going on...lol
---
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqFLXayD6e8
Now don't get me wrong, yeah I think you're alright, but that won't keep me warm in the middle of the night...
#67Super CreaturesPosted 1/29/2013 11:51:24 AM
RahzarX posted...
If you get a 720p tv, and decide you want a Wii u, it's going to produce overscan. Meaning it won't fit the screen in the menu. There is no fix as of now.

Even with HDMI?

Do they not give you the choice of 1360x768 through an HDMI connection, or is that just an issue with using component cables, which is typically an issue on every "720p" TV through component, regardless of device, since component can only do 720p, and not a 720p TV's native resolution of 1360x768 (actually 1366x768)?
---
R.I.P. Eve English (Feb. 12, 1968 - Oct. 13, 2010)
Momma Eve, you will be missed.