This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Would you support a console that offered strictly digital downloads IF...

#1rdking96Posted 1/29/2013 11:08:07 AM(edited)
1) The games were $10-$20 cheaper
2) The console offered the ability to use exterior HDDs to store all those games

I most certainly would. I wouldn't ever have to worry about a number of things including:

-my roommates leaving the discs on the floor so they get stepped on and cracked
-scratched discs
-waiting for games to drop down to a more affordable price
-finding more room to add to my giant game collection

Don't get me wrong. I loved building up a game collection when I was younger. But now that I'm older I'm finding I need more room for other things.

What about you guys?

EDIT: One more important factor:

3) The game can only be linked to ONE account name, however that account name can be used on any console (similar to Steam). To prevent mass sharing, the account cannot be used simultaneously on two or more consoles.
---
"There won't be any money...but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness...So I got that goin' for me - which is nice."
#2MahoganyTooth92Posted 1/29/2013 10:27:07 AM
If it was as good as steam is, then yeah.
---
"Mahohgay Teeth, you are wrong. Target Finder does not ignore Cold Blooded. U mad?"-HuffyChicken
#3TheBlueStigPosted 1/29/2013 10:27:25 AM
No, I will NEVER support a 100% digital delivery console, not even with someone else's money.
---
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
#4mrhappyguy12345Posted 1/29/2013 10:33:05 AM
rdking96 posted...
1) The games were $10-$20 cheaper
2) The console offered the ability to use exterior HDDs to store all those games

I most certainly would. I wouldn't ever have to worry about a number of things including:

-my roommates leaving the discs on the floor so they get stepped on and cracked
-scratched discs
-waiting for games to drop down to a more affordable price
-finding more room to add to my giant game collection

Don't get me wrong. I loved building up a game collection when I was younger. But now that I'm older I'm finding I need more room for other things.

What about you guys?

Yes yes and yes.
---
I love video games : )
#5rdking96(Topic Creator)Posted 1/29/2013 10:33:17 AM
TheBlueStig posted...
No, I will NEVER support a 100% digital delivery console, not even with someone else's money.

Care to elaborate why? Do you want to physically hold a copy of your game? I get it. I'm like that with books. I was like that with my video games as well, but I got over it once I started using Steam more. If a digital download is what it takes to make KotOR only $2.50, then I'm totally down :)
---
"There won't be any money...but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness...So I got that goin' for me - which is nice."
#6DonomegaPosted 1/29/2013 10:41:43 AM
No, because I, like a few others, like to actually own a physical copy of games. Call me old fashioned or whatever.

But sometimes friends like to borrow games etc. imagine if you met a nice girl, or boy, or seeing this is a gaming forum, an anime character, and after talking about gaming they asked to borrow a game, do you let them have your whole console just to play one game?
---
Intell 8088 @ 7.14Mhz | 640K RAM | TCGA 16 Color graphics | TWO 5.25" 640K Floppy drives | 10MB Hard disk
3DS FC: 0903-4184-6816
#7AsucaHayashiPosted 1/29/2013 10:43:21 AM
nope.

at minimum i would want DD to be handled the same way as it is on PC before i would consider full support.. that includes but not limited to:

-the ability to install and play all my games on any console as long as i'm logged into my account(without needing to go through a long license crap process)
-regular sales up to 75% off
-having access to multiple stores so i'm never locked down by one service that has full monopoly over pricing, features and options
---
If console gaming is so cheap then why do I have to spend $600~ in order to play Super Mario Galaxy, Uncharted 3 and Halo 3?
#8MahoganyTooth92Posted 1/29/2013 10:43:23 AM
rdking96 posted...
TheBlueStig posted...

Care to elaborate why? Do you want to physically hold a copy of your game? I get it. I'm like that with books. I was like that with my video games as well, but I got over it once I started using Steam more. If a digital download is what it takes to make KotOR only $2.50, then I'm totally down :)

Remember, Sony and MS do DD awfully.
If that was the only experience I had, I wouldn't want exclusive DD either.
---
"Mahohgay Teeth, you are wrong. Target Finder does not ignore Cold Blooded. U mad?"-HuffyChicken
#9rdking96(Topic Creator)Posted 1/29/2013 10:46:16 AM
Donomega posted...
No, because I, like a few others, like to actually own a physical copy of games. Call me old fashioned or whatever.

But sometimes friends like to borrow games etc. imagine if you met a nice girl, or boy, or seeing this is a gaming forum, an anime character, and after talking about gaming they asked to borrow a game, do you let them have your whole console just to play one game?

Fair enough. I too like the idea of sharing games, but the talk of ID-locked games for the next generation make me nervous that this will never be possible. At least now if my console dies I can redownload all my old games.

If companies begin to use IDs on their games so only one console can play them, what happens when the console dies? Surely there will be launch issues and new slim models (EVERY generation has experienced these changes...I'm sure next generation will be no different). So how will they factor this into the equation?
---
#10TheBlueStigPosted 1/29/2013 10:51:09 AM
rdking96 posted...
TheBlueStig posted...

Physical copies can't be remotely deleted, if you get banned you don't have to rebuy a physical copy.

I can still track down, purchase, and play physical copies years after systems stop being popular, with digital games the access dies as soon as the digital distribution contract ends and the server system gets locked out for a newer model.

Maybe you should look into what Apple and Amazon have done to their users with arbitrary bans, content deletion, and remote deletion without knowledge or consent before you completely support an all digital sales model. You DON'T own anything you buy, you're merely renting access to a digital file and that access can be taken away at any time for any reason.

And who do you think is going to sell the system? Retailers won't support a Loss Leader with no way to make a profit, this was already proven with the PSP-Go.
---
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin