This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why are there so many huge backlogs with so many total cheapskate gamers?

#1ajzootPosted 1/29/2013 8:45:04 PM
It's honestly got to be a trend that's emerged within the past 5 years....

I feel like anytime spent on gamefaqs means constant exposure to poverty gamer threads about saving $15 a year on their live subscriptions, or about $100 being the difference between a day one purchase of a console they know nothing about, and waiting for a price drop....

... Then on the flipside everyone seems to have a huge pile of games they just haven't had time to open and play yet.... That they're thinking about putting on eBay... and a huge list of current games that are in a backlog... I don't even know where to start questioning the financial sensibilities of these people... Then there's the word backlog itself. Just a question, but does anybody that has ever experienced a proper job refer to having unplayed games as a backlog?
---
They say cooking is about experimenting, but no matter how many drugs I take it still tastes like crap...It needs more LSD, It doesn't taste loud enough yet.
#2XtremeWRATH360Posted 1/29/2013 8:48:50 PM
I have a backlog which has nothing to do with my finances or i how i manage them. I myself limit the amount of games i buy at full price usually 3-4 games and the rest i wait till they're atleast 10 dollars, well with the great invention called the internet and the trends most games have it doesn't take long for games to drop in price and because of this i often find myself buying other games i wanted for atleast 50 dollars less than what they originall cost. Best example i can give is every year a CoD game comes out i buy last years for 10 bucks, i never touch the online so the SP is worth the 10 bucks i spent.
---
Juan is........NUMBER 1!
XtremeWRATH-Gamertag
#3Res5Posted 1/29/2013 8:53:17 PM
I have a huge backlog (100+, I think) and still buy new games and would pay large amounts for hard to find games of my past. What is this poverty you speak of? :P
---
My theme song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBjQ9tuuTJQ
Most people think they are the odd one out but never truly are. I am that one who actually is. :D
#4Res5Posted 1/29/2013 8:55:36 PM
No seriously, I work a full 40 hours every week and still build my backlog. My main reasoning is I'm building as much of a backlog of unplayed/unbeaten games as I possibly can for when times are hard and I can't spend bunches of money or for when I'm unemployed and can't buy new ones (not that I plan to make a habit of being unemployed)

Plus I'm a collector on top of being a gamer so just OWNING some games is enough for me to bask in my nerdism.
---
My theme song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBjQ9tuuTJQ
Most people think they are the odd one out but never truly are. I am that one who actually is. :D
#5SolidStryderPosted 1/29/2013 8:56:37 PM
I have no idea what the DJ at my job does during the week, but he makes like 250 a night while he's there, gets every console on launch day, and just spends ridiculous amounts of money on old games that are hard to come by. I swear he just buys games simply to have them, dudes almost always got a video up on YouTube each month just to show him unboxing rare games or doing reviews. He's got 2 kids so I can understand why he doesn't get as much play time in, but he really goes all out. I came around the work like a week before Christmas, he called me back to the staff area because he just picked up BO2, BL2, FC3, and Hitman: Absolution. I wish my finances were that good lol
#6vigorm0rtisPosted 1/29/2013 9:00:31 PM
I don't get it either. A bargain isn't a bargain if it's going to sit on a shelf and never get played. Still, gaming is adjacent to a lot of other 'geek' hobbies, and collecting is a geek impulse.
---
"'Grab the guns!' 'What about the troll?' 'Leave the troll.'"--ATHF
#7josh924Posted 1/29/2013 9:04:20 PM
Cheapskates? I can't speak for anyone else, but I have a backlog because I spend a lot of money on games, not because I'm too cheap to buy newer games.
---
When the trolls say "jump", the mods ask "how high?".
#8LanternOfAshPosted 1/29/2013 9:26:36 PM
You seem to be forgetting that the people that come to this website and whine about prices are actually an astronomically small minority. There's probably more collectors here.
#9Perfect LightPosted 1/29/2013 9:29:09 PM
I don't have a backlog at all. I play one game at a time and play to completion before moving on to another one. I don't buy a game if I'm in the middle of another because it'll probably be much cheaper by the time I get around to playing it. I hardly ever pay full-price, as most games aren't worth it and my wife has been struggling to find work lately so all the bills fall to me, leaving little money for hobbies.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIbu3wJDmVQ - New gaming series
My podcast: hulkshare.com/inferiorminds
#10M4karovPosted 1/29/2013 9:40:30 PM
proper job = more money, more games, less time = larger backlog