This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Will Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo survive against Apple?

#1SL68Posted 1/30/2013 7:02:40 AM
We know how the videogame business is shrinking - that is, the traditional business. Apple is growing every year and iPad is today the gaming platform of choice for many people. It has something that MS, S and N lacks - cheap games.

People in this day and age don't want to pay $60 for a single title when you can get 60 games for that amount of money. And those 60 games will last a lot longer than one single, expensive game.

Also, there are so many clever apps that console hardware simply cannot compare to - an iPad can do almost everything, and you can carry it with you all the time.

It's only a matter of time before Apple really goes all out and make iPad able to play games on your TV in full HD. Why buy a dedicated games console when you have your tablet with thousands of cheap (and great) games, millions of apps and a system that you can use both for the TV and on itself as a portable unit?

MS and S fanboys seem to think that Ps4 and Xbox 720 will fare much better than Wii U, but I'm not so sure about that. The masses today are playing on their phones and tablets - there's no reason for them to but a dedicated games console.
#2BeastLeeAdamsPosted 1/30/2013 7:07:12 AM
Can Apple survive itself?
iPad 5 128 GB Wifi only Retina Display A6 processor - $799
And the same thing with a data plan - $929
#3SL68(Topic Creator)Posted 1/30/2013 7:09:10 AM
BeastLeeAdams posted...

But it can almost anything so people will pay for great hardware.
#4Vyse_skiesPosted 1/30/2013 7:15:22 AM
I-Pad is total pants. Most of the games on that device are junk or shovelware that should all be free. Years ago, things like Angry Birds were free games that you found on the internet, and now they are charging you to play them. It's a friggin con. The games themselves aren't particularly any good either :/ Would be a shame if this killed off the competition.
---
My ignore list is exclusive to trolls only. I should warn you though, it's crowded and the trolls imprisoned within are mean, anti-social and well... ignored.
#5SL68(Topic Creator)Posted 1/30/2013 7:16:25 AM
Vyse_skies posted...
I-Pad is total pants. Most of the games on that device are junk or shovelware that should all be free. Years ago, things like Angry Birds were free games that you found on the internet, and now they are charging you to play them. It's a friggin con. The games themselves aren't particularly any good either :/ Would be a shame if this killed off the competition.

You say that but millions of people enjoy these games at the expense of traditional games.
#6Vyse_skiesPosted 1/30/2013 7:20:58 AM(edited)
SL68 posted...
Vyse_skies posted...

You say that but millions of people enjoy these games at the expense of traditional games.

But that's only because they're quick, easy, cheap. Like little thrills in your pocket that you can play on a whim. No game on the I-Pad is anywhere near the quality of something like Alan Wake or Uncharted. Sure you get a few decent ports, but essentially, it's a bunch of shovel ware and random apps. I-Pad is a novelty item that gets boring fast. Sure, I have a 32 gig I-Pod with games on it, but nothing I've downloaded has even come close to the poorest 360 game I've played last year.
---
My ignore list is exclusive to trolls only. I should warn you though, it's crowded and the trolls imprisoned within are mean, anti-social and well... ignored.
#7SunDevil77Posted 1/30/2013 7:20:51 AM
Did you see the sales numbers of Black Ops 2 and Halo 4?

Console gaming is very much surviving.
---
Bro, when you tack on mass, you sacrifice flexibility. That's just a straight up fact
#8richboy900Posted 1/30/2013 7:21:10 AM
Yeah they will. I would only buy an ipod or iphone from apple, nothing else. I'd rather put money to a proper pc than an ipad or mac- and you could have a good rig for the price of a mac. And I'd even rather have a nintendo for gaming than an apple. The true gamers will stick to pc, microsoft and sony.
#9BeastLeeAdamsPosted 1/30/2013 7:22:02 AM
SL68 posted...
BeastLeeAdams posted...

But it can almost anything so people will pay for great hardware.

Ehhh I think some people are wishing up to Apple not making any upgrades. I know I am. And the reason the iPhone 5 sold so well? iPhone 4 was the best upgrade for a phone a couple years ago, and their due for an upgrade around this time of year so people get another iPhone.

If apple does not make major improvements on whatever comes out this year, they will probably start losing customers.
#10SL68(Topic Creator)Posted 1/30/2013 7:24:34 AM
SunDevil77 posted...
Did you see the sales numbers of Black Ops 2 and Halo 4?

Console gaming is very much surviving.

There are VERY few games that sell as much as CoD and Halo, and you know that. Most games don't come even close.