This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Senator Lamar Alexander - 'Video games [are] a bigger problem than guns'

#11art_of_the_killPosted 1/30/2013 1:21:59 PM
pakathecat posted...
Ok, and what the actual **** sort of an argument is THAT supposed to be?

It's simple. Clearly we gamers are complete lunatics about to snap.
---
"You've lost this argument!"
--- John Marston while lassoing/hogtying someone. Favorite quote this gen.
#12vigorm0rtisPosted 1/30/2013 1:22:15 PM
Super Creatures posted...
vigorm0rtis posted...
It makes sense a Tennessee Republican would talk like that... at least if he wants to get re-elected.

Tennessee Republican, or Tennessee RINO?

IMO, almost all Republicans are RINOs these days. Conservatism is dead, it's been replaced by some kind of extremism of which the only guiding policy seems to be willful ignorance.

I remember being able to vote Republican (and doing so) in clear conscience.
---
"'Grab the guns!' 'What about the troll?' 'Leave the troll.'"--ATHF
#13shawnmckPosted 1/30/2013 1:28:08 PM
vigorm0rtis posted...

IMO, almost all Republicans are RINOs these days. Conservatism is dead, it's been replaced by some kind of extremism of which the only guiding policy seems to be willful ignorance.

^ I can't really argue with this.
Conservatives have been successfully demonized so much that they've been relegated to a status that ranks worse than actual terrorists (unfairly so).
As a result, you have the rest of the Republicans who want nothing more than to get along and be liked, so they adopt the same policies & mind-set of the Democrats, which is total compliance.
Many of these Republicans are Republican in name only....but they legislate and publicly speak no different than all the Liberal Democrats.

But there is a difference.
Democrats actually are pushing for legislation to ban violent video-games.
The Republicans (Rhinos) just talk negatively about it, but aren't proposing any legislation.
There is a difference.
If legislation gets passed, then it becomes law...if they just talk about it but don't actually do anything, than its nothing more than rhetoric & posturing.
#14GollyFluffPosted 1/30/2013 1:32:47 PM
I agree with him. Video games get most of my time and money, at least way more than guns do.
---
"Captain Falcon wasn't confirmed for Brawl. Brawl was confirmed for Captain Falcon."
#15AkaimizuPosted 1/30/2013 1:37:03 PM
Yep. Videogames are so bad, that's why we have people all around pulling crazy fatalities in hopes to beable to conquer Outworld thinking there's a parallel world that truly exists in our realm. Not only that, they think the people they pulled the fatalities will come back because you didn't *kill* them, you simply pulled a fatality on them.

I wonder if people really understand the disconnect people have from videogames. Even when it comes to the level of desensitizing they think it does.
---
"because 'Clerks' is NINJA in itself." - Ninja Mask lessons by Vern Reid (http://houseofninja.com/tutorial.php)
#16DyingPancakePosted 1/30/2013 1:46:15 PM
Akaimizu posted...
Yep. Videogames are so bad, that's why we have people all around pulling crazy fatalities in hopes to beable to conquer Outworld thinking there's a parallel world that truly exists in our realm. Not only that, they think the people they pulled the fatalities will come back because you didn't *kill* them, you simply pulled a fatality on them.

I wonder if people really understand the disconnect people have from videogames. Even when it comes to the level of desensitizing they think it does.

People have killed others by trying to mimick video games, but putting the blame on games is as idiotic as blaming guns.

The problem is the mental health of these people (and parents who can't watch what their kids are doing).

It's like someone else said. People would rather have a band-aid over the problem than actually fix it
---
Under a cold October sky, I wait
Number of deer shot this year: 2
#17pakathecatPosted 1/30/2013 1:49:37 PM
Akaimizu posted...

Also, checking into the nearest hotel for the night last time I got badly injured didn't work out as well as I thought it would. Neither did ripping up my neighbors' garden and brewing stuff randomly together... and to top it off, not a single shopkeeper would buy the result of my alchemy experiments!! Don't they know that failed recipies are still worth at least 1G? *grumble, grumble...*

Not to mention that because of them, every time I see a bobby pin on the ground I'm tempted to pick the damn thing up since, hey, you can never have too many lockpicks! Blasted video games!! :-p
#18natevinesPosted 1/30/2013 1:50:59 PM
Meh. If he said the reverse it'd be just as bad. Fact is it's neither of these things. Freedom isn't the problem.
---
Gamertag- MidgetRifleman
#19KtuluheroIIPosted 1/30/2013 1:52:23 PM
He is right. DmC killed my family.
---
http://i.imgur.com/47zOc.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/MsEGm.jpg
#20ShinChuckPosted 1/30/2013 2:04:43 PM
In the case of video games, it's on both sides. A quick Google search will show you tons of recent anti-gaming proposals and bills from Democrats and Republicans both; you can't just blame right-wing or left right. Unfortunately, video games have few defenders in the political world.
---
GamerTag: ShinChuck, PSN: ShinChuck1
http://homepage.mac.com/shinchuck - Video games, YouTube, Deviantart, Etcetera.