This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I think I am going to tackle the Halo games.

#1denniedarkoPosted 1/30/2013 3:14:35 PM
I have the following:

Halo: Combat Evolved
Halo 2
Halo 3
Halo Reach
Halo 4

I was planning to play them in story order, with Reach being the first one I start with, but am wondering if it is recommended to pick up Halo Wars and ODST as well?

I have heard mixed things about ODST, but I see it isn't very pricey anymore. Am I missing out on much by not playing it?

I am not very big on RTS type games. I think the only one I ever played and enjoyed was Warcraft 3. However I am interested in Halo Wars. I know it takes place before the first game, but again, am I missing anything by not playing it?

I am looking at playing them all on Heroic. Any tips anyone has are welcome, as I have only ever played Halo 3 when it first game out, (though I have played the multiplayer across them all).

Thanks.
---
Now Playing: Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch, Halo (series)
Last Played: Mass Effect (9/10), Mass Effect 2 (10/10), Mass Effect 3 (9/10)
#2SunDevil77Posted 1/30/2013 3:16:15 PM
I definitely recommend Halo Wars and ODST for the price you can grab em these days.

Wars doesn't add much to the story, but its a great game.
ODST has an awesome, and unique campaign.
---
Bro, when you tack on mass, you sacrifice flexibility. That's just a straight up fact
#3Great_Pudding_3Posted 1/30/2013 3:17:15 PM
Most will disagree because it's a popular game but I say take out Reach.

Just play 1-4. Keep it to Chief's story and then play around with the extras, Reach, ODST if you want.
---
PSN: Chocobo_Dragoon
GT: Chocobo Dragoon
#4Carte360Posted 1/30/2013 3:17:54 PM
Honestly, I haven't been able to get through a single halo campaign. However, ODST is a unique experience in the haloverse. Not sure about Wars, but if you like RTS I'd say go for it.
---
Why would Microsoft worry about exclusives when it has the awe-inspiring Kinect to sell consoles. - MrRGerk
#5denniedarko(Topic Creator)Posted 1/30/2013 3:17:59 PM
ODST takes place at the same time as Halo 2, right?
---
#6SunDevil77Posted 1/30/2013 3:25:51 PM
denniedarko posted...
ODST takes place at the same time as Halo 2, right?

Yes sir
---
Bro, when you tack on mass, you sacrifice flexibility. That's just a straight up fact
#7OverburdenedPosted 1/30/2013 3:33:15 PM(edited)
I played 1 - 3 then ODST then Reach. That worked out nicely for me, you get the story and know whats happening with 1 through to 3, I then bought ODST, it was a really nice refreshing take on the halo universe after playing the first 3 for years. But still felt like halo, awesome.

Then I got Reach, which was awesome again, nice fresh different approach on the franchise. Now all I've got left to play is halo 4.

I was happy with my choice of playing them in that order. Wasn't confusing or anything.

Edit: if you play reach before the others, you may feel the 1st two games are a 'downgrade' after. I liked playing the 1st three, then playing Reach, because its like seeing how it all began. Kind of like the Star Wars films.
---
Crappy spelling due to my iPod.
The Chronic what cles of Narnia._
#8denniedarko(Topic Creator)Posted 1/30/2013 4:01:22 PM
Alright, went and picked up Halo Wars, ODST, and Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary. I think I am set for the next few days, (don't work again until Saturday).

Maybe I should play in release order, but I am thinking maybe the jump from Reach to Anniversary won't be to jarring.
---
#9CapwnDPosted 1/30/2013 4:40:36 PM
I would forget playing them in story order, that's not the way games and movies should be played. They should be played in the order that they are released. The games that take place before or after are more interesting that way, because you already know the outcome.

That said, I think it would be ok to play 1 through 4, then ODST and Reach if you're still wanting more. I think both were great games but if you're going to skip any, I guess you could skip those. And if you have Anniversary, play that instead of Combat Evolved. Then you'll just have to muscle your way through the slightly outdated of only one Halo game (Halo 2).
---
Death to Videodrome, Long Live the New Flesh
#10denniedarko(Topic Creator)Posted 1/30/2013 4:43:20 PM
Alrighty.

I appreciate the responses everyone. I watched some of a let's play for Halo 2 earlier, and it still looks pretty good, (graphic wise), and I hear it is one of the better games, (aside from the ending).
---