This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How do I fix "NAT: Moderate" and does it make my game laggy?

#11CapwnDPosted 1/30/2013 4:50:59 PM
Oddly enough every modem TWC has given me has just been a modem. For as much crap as people like to give TWC I would still pick them over Comcast or Optimum.

Have you ever had the higher speeds though? I heard from a TWC installer friend that they like to give the gateway for the Docsis 3 modems, which is the modems that you need for the faster speeds.

That may not be true for every area though, I always had the impression that time warner east coast is not exactly the same as other places.

CaPwnD posted...
Could also be your wireless causing lag though. Would be much better to connect with ethernet. But still, I cannot stress enough how much better an actual modem is over a modem/router gateway like Time Warner likes to give out.

It does it even if its plugged in

Yeah I thought about that after I posted that... Probably is that other issue then. I'm still just very much an advocate for wired gaming! I've done simple tests that you can do too to see how wired has "much" less latency and packet loss.
---
Death to Videodrome, Long Live the New Flesh
#12CapwnDPosted 1/30/2013 5:02:25 PM
About ragging on TWC... I'm not trying to do that at all, they provide great service in my area. But I have to share this:

I requested a regular modem, and they told me that it wold be just a regular modem, and they still set me up with the gateway. This may have been because of the installer, and they may contract those guys out... I'm not sure how that works.

And not to put down installers, but the installer that came was so bad. He was trying to tell me that I should just plug into the LAN port of my router instead of the wan. I know why he said this, but I told him that I wanted to use my router as the router, not theirs. And he said "you'll still be using your router". Dumbass. No, my router would just be a switch if I did that.

Either they are trained to pretend to be ignorant or they really are that ignorant. I really hate to put down people and generalize like that, but it pisses me off that people like that in that position would give such wrong and false information, either knowingly or ignorantly. I dedicate a lot of free time to make this very issue right for complete strangers on the internet (and friends), and people like that cable installer undermine that, and they are making things worse for people who pay money and trust that the cable installer knows what he/she is talking about.
---
#13CammyApplePosted 1/30/2013 5:05:26 PM
CaPwnD posted...
About ragging on TWC... I'm not trying to do that at all, they provide great service in my area. But I have to share this:

I requested a regular modem, and they told me that it wold be just a regular modem, and they still set me up with the gateway. This may have been because of the installer, and they may contract those guys out... I'm not sure how that works.

And not to put down installers, but the installer that came was so bad. He was trying to tell me that I should just plug into the LAN port of my router instead of the wan. I know why he said this, but I told him that I wanted to use my router as the router, not theirs. And he said "you'll still be using your router". Dumbass. No, my router would just be a switch if I did that.

Either they are trained to pretend to be ignorant or they really are that ignorant. I really hate to put down people and generalize like that, but it pisses me off that people like that in that position would give such wrong and false information, either knowingly or ignorantly. I dedicate a lot of free time to make this very issue right for complete strangers on the internet (and friends), and people like that cable installer undermine that, and they are making things worse for people who pay money and trust that the cable installer knows what he/she is talking about.

Oh I agree. I had to get them to come out here 4 times to replace lines until they finally did so street level which solved my problems. Problems I told them needed to be solved street level the first time I called.
---
Everything's shiny, Cap'n. Not to fret.
#14CapwnDPosted 1/30/2013 5:19:05 PM
Right but as a service overall they're great. Fast and extremely consistent speeds, rarely any problems at all. The DVR boxes kind of suck, but hopefully those will get better.
---
#15Action53(Topic Creator)Posted 1/30/2013 5:55:53 PM
My black dvr box was s****y too but they replaced it with a grey one and now its great.
---
A wizard did not do it Gamertag: ActionFiveThree
http://s114.photobucket.com/albums/n244/chucktheduck_69/NES/
#16randomweirdoPosted 1/30/2013 6:03:01 PM
CaPwnD posted...
What is the modem model number? The modem, not the router. Also, do a speed test and post the ping, download and upload speeds.

And yes, the Moderate NAT will make it harder to get into matches, limiting the number of matches it will match you up in. As for the lag... maybe. Certainly isn't making it better.

Moderate NAT can actually make it appear to be laggy. It's not actually lagging, it's more like the moderate NAT is causing a bottleneck for your connection. Think of it like rush hour traffic, doesn't matter what the speed limit is if the road is clogged up and everyone around you is going slow.

Getting it open will definitely improve things a lot, that is what should be fixed first.