This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Regenerative health needs to go away.

#41MinamoPosted 1/31/2013 2:33:53 AM
vigorm0rtis posted...
Most people concentrate on being good at things that matter

You realize you are posting on a gaming forum?

There are still genres that require skill, despite the dumbing-down of FPS. This entire thread is about wanting games to go back to requiring skill instead of crouching behind a corner for 15 seconds. Even something as simple as rationing supplies demands some thought, and that is all this thread is asking.

Easy mode exists for people who don't want to learn, don't make the entire game brain dead for the rest of us.
#42Mr_GreenXPosted 1/31/2013 2:34:31 AM
It depends on the genre of game.
#43knightimexPosted 1/31/2013 2:46:27 AM(edited)
Halo CE did Regenerative health the best.
Now it's just terrible.

You had a health bar and a shield.

a shield alone sucks.
see halo 4, cod, any other fps game
---
Old School Games FTW!
#44vigorm0rtisPosted 1/31/2013 2:47:27 AM
Minamo posted...
vigorm0rtis posted...
Most people concentrate on being good at things that matter

You realize you are posting on a gaming forum?

Of course, but elitists are irritating-- why bother? My formative years were spent in the era of OHKs, games designed for arcades to milk you of all your money, health didn't even factor in until I was approaching my teens. Don't see me getting all high and mighty about who's casual and who isn't. Why? People who sweat who's casual aren't good at anything IRL.
---
"'Grab the guns!' 'What about the troll?' 'Leave the troll.'"--ATHF
#45MertensCWPosted 1/31/2013 2:51:29 AM
I'm fine with health regen or variations of it. Saves a lot of time.

Health packs simply resulted in me backtracking to get the furthest one i could go back to, before moving forward.

I find it laughable how some try to make it into a skill based argument.
Your skill level is your skill level, you will succeed or fail based on it and the difficulty setting.
---
Few Favorites- Ninja gaiden 1-2, Colony Wars 1-3,Xenogears,MarioKart,Lunar 2 GTA:SA,S&K,FF6-7,Zanac,S.Metroid,SMB2,NFL2K5,Halo 2, NG2,Vanquish,Witcher 2.
#46vigorm0rtisPosted 1/31/2013 3:05:36 AM
MertensCW posted...
I

I find it laughable how some try to make it into a skill based argument.
Your skill level is your skill level, you will succeed or fail based on it and the difficulty setting.

Laughable is a good word for it.
---
"'Grab the guns!' 'What about the troll?' 'Leave the troll.'"--ATHF
#47JZSquaredPosted 1/31/2013 4:41:37 AM
AnarchyCamp posted...
It's not realistic to recover from near death simply by resting behind a wall for 15 seconds. We need to bring back the food system from the late 80's/early 90's.

Small items, such as a dumpling, would offer a small amount of health recovery. Intermediate would be a hamburger or hot dog. Maximum health would be recovered from a whole roast chicken. The food items would be left on the ground at random parts of levels. Also, sometimes you will need to smash a wooden crate with a pipe to get to the chicken drumstick inside.

I think this system could be seamlessly integrated into most modern games.
What do you think?

Not sure if serious, or just a troll...

I like the Far Cry 3 idea however.
#48stawg007Posted 1/31/2013 5:08:41 AM
It doesn't need to go away but I do think we need way more games with the classic health system
---
GT: lPayneToTheMaxl
#49ZuuFPosted 1/31/2013 5:12:52 AM
I think that a no-regeneration option would be nice for Call of Duty...on veteran...could only take two bullets (maybe three)...specifically World at War (or 2, just two; either one would put hair on your chest after a single mission, and it would only get better as you complete the campaigns).
---
-Use Force to kill grue
-Your midichlorian count isn't high enough; you are eaten by a grue
#50PhadinPosted 1/31/2013 5:57:47 AM
Nice thing about fantasy based games, don't need to worry about 'realistic'. Regenerating... ahh, thats natural. Need healing... healing potions and healing magic are staples of the genre.

You can keep your realism... or lack there-of.