This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why does EVERY single game have multiplayer these days?

#1Samman123Posted 1/30/2013 10:43:42 PM
I honestly stopped caring about multiplayer after last gen but this is ridiculous.
---
MMA fan for life.
#2BeefEasterPosted 1/30/2013 10:44:37 PM
because money
#3Perfect LightPosted 1/30/2013 10:45:01 PM
Because they think it helps games sell and publishers want to make a profit.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIbu3wJDmVQ - New gaming series
My podcast: hulkshare.com/inferiorminds
#4Super CreaturesPosted 1/30/2013 10:47:42 PM
Because that is what the vocal group wants.

Also, I can name a long list of recent games that are single player only, so no, it isn't every game that has multiplayer.
---
R.I.P. Eve English (Feb. 12, 1968 - Oct. 13, 2010)
Momma Eve, you will be missed.
#5vigorm0rtisPosted 1/30/2013 10:51:17 PM
You can spend a relatively small amount of money and tap the MP market. Even if the game's MP is a bomb, it still sells games, and MP players tend to buy release date so they can hit the ground running.

It's a shame, because some really good MP has gotten lost in the mix.
---
"'Grab the guns!' 'What about the troll?' 'Leave the troll.'"--ATHF
#6SheepinatorPosted 1/30/2013 10:59:14 PM
Because gamers here don't spend $60 on games unless it has 100+ hours of play time, which means it has MP or it's a Bethesda RPG. Then the SP focused games don't make money. Then they don't make sequels or more SP focused games because it's bad business. Then gamers here whine. It's the cycle of whine.
---
My mad face and my happy face are the same.
#7JenniferTatePosted 1/31/2013 12:31:36 AM
I like Sheep and vigor's explanations.

I wish more games actually had a horde mode, because to me it's the most fun way to just relax and enjoy the game's mechanics if it had cool ones.

I've been pleasantly surprised by MP from GTA, RDR, and Uncharted 3, but that might be because they aren't FPS, which makes it more refreshing on principle.
---
Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth. - Mike Tyson
#8SparkItUpPosted 1/31/2013 12:35:33 AM
Sheepinator posted...
Because gamers here don't spend $60 on games unless it has 100+ hours of play time, which means it has MP or it's a Bethesda RPG. Then the SP focused games don't make money. Then they don't make sequels or more SP focused games because it's bad business. Then gamers here whine. It's the cycle of whine.

Not true. Xcom: Enemy Unknown is a great example of this. It's a game that lasts no longer than 8 hours (that's being generous) but it was probably one of the few games I have bought in a long time that was worth the 60$ to me. It had multiplayer, but to be honest, the multiplayer is its worst aspect. People that bought Xcom definitely did not buy it for the multiplayer in the very least.
---
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqFLXayD6e8
Now don't get me wrong, yeah I think you're alright, but that won't keep me warm in the middle of the night...
#9SparkItUpPosted 1/31/2013 12:37:12 AM
BeefEaster posted...
because money

^ this is what it comes down to..map packs, DLC weapons for MP, etc. people can't get enough of it and devs know.
---
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqFLXayD6e8
Now don't get me wrong, yeah I think you're alright, but that won't keep me warm in the middle of the night...
#10GGearXPosted 1/31/2013 1:04:04 AM
SparkItUp posted...
Sheepinator posted...

Not true. Xcom: Enemy Unknown is a great example of this. It's a game that lasts no longer than 8 hours (that's being generous) but it was probably one of the few games I have bought in a long time that was worth the 60$ to me. It had multiplayer, but to be honest, the multiplayer is its worst aspect. People that bought Xcom definitely did not buy it for the multiplayer in the very least.

No game is worth 60 . The most expensive I've ever bought a game was 40. I usually wait for sales. And now with THQ gone. Darksider 1 and 2 are going to be really cheap soon.
---
GT: KryDamoure *Insert cool line here *
.............I'm a very shy guy........