This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

what was the gaming crash? what would happen if there was another one?

#1beyondfromPosted 1/31/2013 5:18:48 AM
was it lots of gaming companies going bust? When was it - early 90's? In future there will just be EA and Activision lol? I know I could go on google but am asking here ...
#2FiyunPosted 1/31/2013 5:25:16 AM(edited)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_video_game_crash_of_1983

tl;dr Wild West of Video Games.
---
http://www.backloggery.com/trashknight
#3beyondfrom(Topic Creator)Posted 1/31/2013 5:31:01 AM(edited)
thanks. Didn't know there were so many different gaming devices/consoles in the early 80s ... I have heard people say another crash is coming - what do people on here think about that?
#4SunDevil77Posted 1/31/2013 5:37:28 AM
beyondfrom posted...
thanks. Didn't know there were so many different gaming devices/consoles in the early 80s ... I have heard people say another crash is coming - what do people on here think about that?

It's not.
---
Now I know what a TV dinner feels like.
#5FFTHEWINNERPosted 1/31/2013 5:38:15 AM
the "gaming crash" is highly exaggerated. It only happend in one country(america)and it only affected consoles. Gamers in all other parts of the world(like the UK and japan)were enjoying their Commodre 64's,Spectrom's and their arcade games(and the famicom in the case of japan)and didnt even hear about that "crash" let alone be affected by it.
---
WHO AM I?FFTHEWINNER. WHO ARE YOU?URTHELOSER
http://i.imgur.com/xgSex.png
#6FiyunPosted 1/31/2013 5:49:28 AM(edited)
People love spouting about a new crash coming for years now in waves.

For it to happen, they have to suddenly force DD-only, release a new console every two years or so(Or just go the Sega 16-bit route), "Crapcom-milking" becomes the standard, cheap 10$(or below)games becoming the norm, etc, etc....

Probably forgetting something beyond "forced stay-online to play" and that thing about playing a game directly off a server instead downloading/inserting a disc.

Either way, wait until the other new consoles comes out before the new doomsday prophecy comes true.
---
http://www.backloggery.com/trashknight
#7DyingPancakePosted 1/31/2013 5:56:20 AM
beyondfrom posted...

People say this **** because Call of Duty always does so well and their niche game that no one has heard of bombed

Many people are freaking idiots around here, so you have to take most things with a grain of salt
---
Under a cold October sky, I wait
Number of deer shot this year: 2
#8beyondfrom(Topic Creator)Posted 1/31/2013 5:57:26 AM
Fiyun posted...
People love spouting about a new crash coming for years now in waves.

For it to happen, they have to suddenly force DD-only, release a new console every two years or so(Or just go the Sega 16-bit route), "Crapcom-milking" becomes the standard, cheap 10$(or below)games becoming the norm, etc, etc....

Probably forgetting something beyond "forced stay-online to play" and that thing about playing a game directly off a server instead downloading/inserting a disc.

Either way, wait until the other new consoles comes out before the new doomsday prophecy comes true.

playing single player games off a server would suck big time? iconsistent performance?
#9TheBlueStigPosted 1/31/2013 10:43:13 AM
beyondfrom posted...
In future there will just be EA and Activision lol?

No no no, there is only Taco Bell left in the future, or Pizza Hut depending on which version of the movie was available in your region.
---
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
#10vigorm0rtisPosted 1/31/2013 10:56:26 AM
Nothing will 'crash' gaming again. Not going to DD, not making used games unplayable... it may take a direction we don't expect, but it's not a subculture anymore.
---
"'Grab the guns!' 'What about the troll?' 'Leave the troll.'"--ATHF