This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

what was the gaming crash? what would happen if there was another one?

#21FFTHEWINNERPosted 1/31/2013 4:05:08 PM(edited)
Winternova posted...
It doesn't matter what you think. When there are a glut of bad games dumped on the market and no internet or gaming magazines to assist in sifting the wheat from the chaff, you get a bunch of buyers who were scared off. Read up on the crash and embrace facts instead of your own incorrect theories.

There were only 3 major consoles at the time: Atari VCS, Intellivision, and ColecoVision. Sure there were outliers like the Odyssey2, Vectrex, Fairchild Channel F, and others...but the major effect was the poor games on the most popular console - the Atari VCS.

1:Instead of attacking me,you could try to have a civilised discussion like i am doing.

2:There WAS many gaming magazines backthen,the most famous of them being "computer and video games" which began(i think)in 1979.in addition,arcaf ports could be tried in arcades and word of mouth/friend advice was always availible.

3:i said "i think" to clarify that i am not sure about that part and would welcome any info in it.i dont know why you mocked it.

4:again,"the most popular console" this gen,as proven by sales,is the wii which,just like the 2600, is the weakest and is composed of 99% s***ty games yet i dont see a close crash.

5:you ignored my entire first paragraph which was my main point in the first place >_>
---
WHO AM I?FFTHEWINNER. WHO ARE YOU?URTHELOSER
http://i.imgur.com/xgSex.png
#22tenshi78Posted 1/31/2013 4:01:01 PM
Whatever your feelings are,gaming as we know it has a serious problem at the moment.Sales have been going down steadily for some time now.
#23Zohar_MetatronPosted 1/31/2013 4:08:20 PM
OKRecords1138 posted...
The gaming crash can be summed up with all the blame and fault being put on one game - E.T. for the Atari. So many copies of that terrible game were produced, and so many got buried deep with all the other unsold copies of Atari games.

ET was indicative of the problem, not the cause. Pac-Man hurt them just as bad. (ET, once you know what the hell is going on, is honestly more playable then half the 2600's library, too. Still not exactly a wonderful game.)

tenshi78 posted...
Whatever your feelings are,gaming as we know it has a serious problem at the moment.Sales have been going down steadily for some time now.

No they haven't.
---
Who took the bomp from the bompalompalomp?
#24tenshi78Posted 1/31/2013 4:13:04 PM
http://mybroadband.co.za/news/gaming/69636-ea-slashes-2013-outlook-as-video-game-industry-struggles.html

http://www.cnn.com/2012/11/09/tech/gaming-gadgets/console-gaming-dead/index.html
#25tenshi78Posted 1/31/2013 4:15:22 PM
Zohar_Metatron posted...
OKRecords1138 posted...
The gaming crash can be summed up with all the blame and fault being put on one game - E.T. for the Atari. So many copies of that terrible game were produced, and so many got buried deep with all the other unsold copies of Atari games.

ET was indicative of the problem, not the cause. Pac-Man hurt them just as bad. (ET, once you know what the hell is going on, is honestly more playable then half the 2600's library, too. Still not exactly a wonderful game.)

tenshi78 posted...

No they haven't.

11 straights months of decline is a big problem no matter what industry you're in.
#26TheBlueStigPosted 1/31/2013 4:46:53 PM
d3z1i0b posted...
TheBlueStig posted...
beyondfrom posted...
In future there will just be EA and Activision lol?

No no no, there is only Taco Bell left in the future, or Pizza Hut depending on which version of the movie was available in your region.

There was Pizza Hut version?? Mind blown.

Yup, along with the appropriate changes to the dialog and logos.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demolition_Man_%28film%29#Production
---
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
#27Mumble_Posted 1/31/2013 4:50:09 PM
There will most likely never be another video game crash. Every game released today is high quality and playable. There were games back then that were literally unplayable because of game mechanics.
---
HELLO!!!
#28TheBlueStigPosted 1/31/2013 5:00:43 PM
Mumble_ posted...
Every game released today is high quality

Cough-BULLS***!!!-Cough
---
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
#29Lum_YatsuraPosted 1/31/2013 7:36:44 PM
Mumble_ posted...
Every game released today is high quality

Cough-BULLS***!!!-Cough

I think we need to look at the averages. I'd suspect picking up a random game today you're less likely to get that level of suck.
---
What's the buzz? A high voltage positive ion attack!? Chaaa!
#30nightshadeAPosted 1/31/2013 9:16:28 PM(edited)
remeber they didnt have game licensing anyone could make a game and did

also what killed coleco and atari was bad business practices and

coleco's ADAM debacle (thq could of learned a lesson)

and warner having no clue about video games

bushnell panicing about stock prices and selling out before the ipo

and atari's post warner owners not getting the us rights to the nes (would of been like the sears version of the 2600)

ironically bushnell is on modren ataris board of directors and warner owns all of ataris arcade games again by buying midway
---
theres no point in telling me the wisdom of fool wont set me free _New order "its easier and better to get forgiven than permission"