This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I've been debating whether or not to pick up Alpha Protocol.

#21MertensCWPosted 1/31/2013 2:23:47 PM(edited)
I was interested in it not long ago but passed on it, after watching the GT video review.
Initially it seemed like a game i'd love, but would get driven mad by the negatives and would begin to hate it.
---
Few Favorites- Ninja gaiden 1-2, Colony Wars 1-3,Xenogears,MarioKart,Lunar 2 GTA:SA,S&K,FF6-7,Zanac,S.Metroid,SMB2,NFL2K5,Halo 2, NG2,Vanquish,Witcher 2.
#22Dragon NexusPosted 1/31/2013 2:53:10 PM
I was hoping for good spy rpg but the wonky gameplay, terrible enemy, AI and the horrible environments really killed the game I have tried to play it and just got feed up right after the Middle East

It's a game like they used to make in the previous gen. You have to learn how the game works, so you don't so much play it as it is, you manipulate the mechanics so you can advance.

It's a game that improves the more you play because you learn all the funny rules and development quirks and how to twist them to better suit your method of play.
---
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that you can never be sure if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
#23old_school227Posted 1/31/2013 3:05:17 PM
I personally feel the game gets a lot better after the middle east part, so try to get past that.
#24glyde69Posted 1/31/2013 3:14:49 PM
One of the worst games Ive ever played
---
Gamer Tag: Wally Digital PSN name: Wally Digital Wii Code:2550-7930-3602-5785
#25supersvegetaPosted 1/31/2013 5:54:06 PM
old_school227 posted...
I personally feel the game gets a lot better after the middle east part, so try to get past that.

---
I believe it's time I gave these young people a proper lesson in violence. -Walter
http://www.trueachievements.com/mygames.aspx?gamerid=25926&complete=1
#26ShinChuckPosted 1/31/2013 9:17:17 PM
I'd like to plug it as well. The gameplay has issues, but storyline wise? Your choices really do matter in this game, and you can change it drastically. I bought it on a lark for $10 about a year ago simply because it had a SEGA logo. It sat in a pile for a few months. Got bored, popped it in, was immediately unimpressed... then about halfway through, it started picking up, my choices starting really mattering, there were a few very inspired setpieces, and it became a memorable experience. It will definitely be one of those games I pick up every few years for a replay.
---
GamerTag: ShinChuck, PSN: ShinChuck1
http://homepage.mac.com/shinchuck - Video games, YouTube, Deviantart, Etcetera.
#27Halo_ForeverPosted 1/31/2013 11:49:20 PM
JKSonic posted...
This one and Binary Domain are two I've wanted to pick up for a while just to try out since they seem to have nice cult followings.

Alpha Protocol IS mediocre, but not of the designed-by-a-committee kind, but rather a beautiful trainwreck. A lot of love has gone into the game, and there is a ton of branching paths. Hell, my brother completely missed a large faction because he chose to play in one way.

Binary Domain in turn is a solid Gears clone and has the typical Gears problems (sit in cover while plinking at the baddies etc) for that, however the boss fights are pretty damn good and I liked playing them (and I'm a boss hater in general) and the regular fights are quite entertaining as well. A large reason to that is the destructibility of the enemies, you can blow limbs off the robots, which alters their combat behaviour.

Story wasn't that much to write home about, though I liked some of the characters and the approval system was fairly interesting.
---
Poet Eliot had it all wrong....
#28BlueJester007(Topic Creator)Posted 2/2/2013 8:28:23 PM
Okay, so I got it yesterday and have been playing it quite a bit. Overall, I am enjoying it. It is not the best game I've ever played, but it certainly is not the worst. I like the dialogue system the structure of the story.

The gameplay is really hit or miss. Especially the stealth. I usually like to play stealthy like. This game's stealth is meh. I really hate how if one guard sees another's body, they just automatically know where you are.

So far, I've done the Middle East, Taipei, Rome, and am currently working on Moscow.

It is not all that bad.
---
Math illiteracy affects every 7 out of 5 people.
#29DuwstaiPosted 2/2/2013 9:57:19 PM
I thought it was a great game. Reminded me a lot of Mass Effect 1. Great story/ characters/ choices (choices and dialogue are actually better in AP), but very clunky RPG like gameplay.

So if you can look past that you should enjoy AP. But only if you go in knowing the gameplay is very rough around the edges and RPG like.
---
balls
#30BlueJester007(Topic Creator)Posted 2/4/2013 8:13:26 PM
Alright, so I finally finished the game, and I got to say, the hate this game received was blown way out of proportion. The gameplay is nothing stellar; it definitely could have used some more work, but it was playable.

The story was pretty well done. A lot of the voice actors are some real big name people: Jim Cummings, Nolan North, James Hong, and even Michael Bell (AKA Raziel in the best story based series of story-based games known as the Legacy of Kain).

The dialogue system was pretty interesting. Nice to see a new take on the "dialogue circle" that Bioware introduced with their games.

The game did get a bit frustrating at some points, but overall, I enjoyed it. Not worth $60.00, but definitely a decent game.

I give it an Oreo milkshake out of cake.
---
Math illiteracy affects every 7 out of 5 people.