This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What, if anything, would make you quit gaming?

#1JKSonicPosted 1/31/2013 9:41:37 AM(edited)
Besides a personal life-altering event taking place, is there anything within the gaming industry that would make you quit gaming?

For instance maybe Apple coming in and pushing out Sony/MS/Nintendo and taking the same approach to gaming as they do their other devices...meaning super high "premium" prices and regular updated releases...?

Or, maybe the industry going all digital before "we're" ready?

Banning used games?

Going all motion controlled?

Obviously from my examples this wouldn't have to be something that has any real chance of happening, or it could be something that could very well happen. I'm just curious what it would take for you to bail on your favorite/one of your favorite past times... This mostly applies to newer stuff too, I mean obviously you wouldn't have to stop using your retro platforms.
---
"You shouldn't be asking HOW things are, given that we already know there is something..but rather WHY things are, as opposed to there being nothing."
#2AkaimizuPosted 1/31/2013 9:47:34 AM(edited)
As long as there are games that exist, that I want to play, I think I'll be in it.

Thing is. No matter what happens, the Indie scene will always keep things in check for new retro titles, or new things in a game style I would play.

I think there would have to be some ridiculous mandate that stops anybody from coding games independently, for this to happen. However, that's pretty impossible to do or enforce. But it is the ONLY way any of the scenarios can happen to get me out of gaming. It is also what has to happen first for anybody else's scenario to come true.

Even the going all digital is still half Physical in the other main market it penetrated. The PC. Indie teams still release digital content that is yours to have and burn physical copies from as backups. One way or another, programmers find a way.

What we have happening now is also a part of a revolution of developers forming new teams outside of the big corporate model as a way to keep games interesting and maintain a large variety in our environment. It's not simply based on chasing the mighty dollar.

The problem we have with people in society today and many (independent speakers, who may have ulterior motives with their news(like gaining subs for revenue)) is that the only way to believe them (and too many are ready to) is to believe the worst out of all people, all of the time. Anything that acts like they are trying to defend a way of service is immediately disbelieved. It's basically the opposite of romanticism and it does have to stop. It's taking things too far to the extreme opposite. This is not a reflection of this topic, but more so a reflection of a lot of people piping up fear and anger (in other forums and media) for which it makes discussion topics like this even relevant in the first place. People are ready to believe it could happen, with today's state of things. But as far as I'm concerned, it's fantasy. A dark fantasy.

---
"because 'Clerks' is NINJA in itself." - Ninja Mask lessons by Vern Reid (http://houseofninja.com/tutorial.php)
#3DarkSymbiotePosted 1/31/2013 9:36:07 AM
- Devolving entirely into handhelds
- Entirely motion controls
- Entirely MP focused
- DLC even more out of control than it is now
- Digital
- Mandatory internet connection
---
My Resident Evil 6 Review| My XCOM: Enemy Unknown Review
http://bitly.com/Z2CT6n | http://bit.ly/RJGjrn
#4-NinjaWarrior-Posted 1/31/2013 9:42:27 AM
If the consoles become DD only, I think I'll stick to Steam from here on out.
I'd quit gaming all together if I find hobby even more entertaining.
---
I tried to change my password to "my dick".
GameFAQs said it was too long.
#5memphis12Posted 1/31/2013 9:45:27 AM
If Kinect became compulsory in gaming.
---
'I wrestled with an alligator,I tussled with a whale,only last week I murdered a rock, injured a stone, hospitalized a brick. I'm so mean I make medicine sick.'
#6gabriusPosted 1/31/2013 9:46:51 AM
Death.
---
SHOOTEMUP
/XBL|PSN\ - Gabrius
#7MatrixAndrAIaPosted 1/31/2013 9:48:10 AM
Forced socialization of gaming. I am not a social person by nature, and having to play so many games as a co-op experience really turns me off. Fortunately, there are still so many awesome older and retro style games out that appeal to me.
---
Your name is sung and tattooed now on my heart - here I will carry you forever
Carry Tori Amos
#8Ginsu VictimPosted 1/31/2013 10:24:19 AM(edited)
DarkSymbiote posted...
- Devolving entirely into handhelds
- Entirely motion controls
- Entirely MP focused
- DLC even more out of control than it is now
- Digital
- Mandatory internet connection

I agree with this entire list.

Now, I don't mean that I would quit all gaming, just NEW gaming.

---
I'M RUNNIN' THIS MONKEY FARM NOW, FRANKENSTEIN!!! - Capt. Rhodes, Day of the Dead (1985)
#9SheepinatorPosted 1/31/2013 10:09:50 AM
gabrius posted...
Death.

Death plus a few minutes. Muscles can still twitch, which would be gaming muscle memory :-)

Gabrius, will you be donating your backlog to Uncle Sam to solve its debt problem?
---
My mad face and my happy face are the same.
#10gabriusPosted 1/31/2013 10:11:49 AM
Sheepinator posted...
gabrius posted...
Death.

Death plus a few minutes. Muscles can still twitch, which would be gaming muscle memory :-)

Gabrius, will you be donating your backlog to Uncle Sam to solve its debt problem?

Dude, my coffin is gonna be made of green plastic cases ;)
---
SHOOTEMUP
/XBL|PSN\ - Gabrius