This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What, if anything, would make you quit gaming?

#31garanPosted 1/31/2013 1:44:28 PM
As long as my old consoles work or can be easily replaced, I will continue gaming. I may not buy new systems in the future if the publishers like EA keep trying to steal every penny from consumers.

Locking out used games (and even games borrowed from a friend)-- no way I buy that system.

Being a gimmicky system built around touch controls, motion controls, some other BS-- no buy. I'm not buying a Wii, Wii U, Kinect, etc.

The continuing decline of games. I used to play a lot of fighting games-- I still own at least a dozen on older systems. But with so many of them having ridiculous locked on-disk content now, I will probably never play another fighting game.

There are other possible reasons. I am not a loyal fanboy consumer, so the next PS/Xbox will have to win me over to convince to buy one.
#32zyxomma100Posted 1/31/2013 1:46:41 PM
Oh man, yeah I hate those free map packs in ME3 that other companies would charge $10-$15 each for. Hate hate hate them. It's an absolute disgrace, and frankly, how is it even legal to give us stuff for free? It's an insult and an outrage, and I'm glad you're onto them.

If someone doesn't like EA, it's petty to list a single nice thing they've done as though they've absolved themselves with one act.

EA is by far the biggest player when it comes to the legal department and the changing world of media. They're the Disney of video games. They've made (and continue to make) some good stuff, but their legal department lobbies heavily for laws that are bad for the industry and borderline unconstitutional.
#33ItsTheSasquatchPosted 1/31/2013 1:50:15 PM
I'd say draconian DRM, but that just makes me quit gaming legitimately.
---
*disappears into forest*
#34DarthVashtiPosted 1/31/2013 1:50:44 PM
The three things that would make me quit gaming on new consoles:

-Phasing out single player games. There is already way too much focus on online multiplayer.
-Phasing out physical game discs. Licenses to play the game only and not being able to own the copy I paid for is BS.
-Locking out used games. If they would just make games that are good and quit making trash or mediocre games then there wouldn't be as many people buying used games.

Any one of those thing happen next gen and I'm calling it quits.
#35vigorm0rtisPosted 1/31/2013 1:52:47 PM
DarthVashti posted...

-Phasing out single player games. There is already way too much focus on online multiplayer.

Yeah, that's another thing that would probably do it for me, too. Don't think it's even remotely likely, though.
---
"'Grab the guns!' 'What about the troll?' 'Leave the troll.'"--ATHF
#36P00DGEPosted 1/31/2013 2:01:35 PM
None of you examples really bothered me. I only game on the PC, and all the titles I buy are already purchased digitally. So Apple taking over the console industry and making everything digital really doesn't affect me at all.

If online play was completely abolished, I would probably RARELY play games, and I may even completely quit. 99% of my gaming time is spent playing some kind of multiplayer, whether it be Minecraft, Counter Strike or League of Legends.
#37P00DGEPosted 1/31/2013 2:03:48 PM(edited)
DarthVashti posted...

-Phasing out physical game discs. Licenses to play the game only and not being able to own the copy I paid for is BS.
-Locking out used games. If they would just make games that are good and quit making trash or mediocre games then there wouldn't be as many people buying used games.

Any one of those thing happen next gen and I'm calling it quits.

Woah haha. I am on the EXACT opposite side of the fence. If online multiplayer was phased out and if digital copies were phased out, I would call it quits.
#38thechaoticclownPosted 1/31/2013 2:03:16 PM
Hands.
#39Xx_King_Beef_xXPosted 1/31/2013 2:04:20 PM
Digital distribution is where I draw the line. The day I can't go out and purchase physical copies of my games is the day that I quit gaming.
---
I have to return some videotapes.
#40vashtrichamPosted 1/31/2013 2:08:31 PM
Having gaming completely geared towards casuals
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerGuides 1.10