This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What, if anything, would make you quit gaming?

#51BBBanks03Posted 1/31/2013 2:45:51 PM
Overlord Hikash posted...
DarkSymbiote posted...
- Devolving entirely into handhelds
- Entirely motion controls
- Entirely MP focused
- DLC even more out of control than it is now
- Digital
- Mandatory internet connection

Boom. That's it, folks.

Considering how many people have agreed with this post, it sounds like (barring the first two points) a lot of you aren't making it past the next generation.

Not defending those points at all, but all indications make it seem like this is where the industry is heading.
---
Can someone bum me a sig? I'm fresh out.
#52Overlord HikashPosted 1/31/2013 2:52:21 PM
BBBanks03 posted...
Overlord Hikash posted...
DarkSymbiote posted...
- Devolving entirely into handhelds
- Entirely motion controls
- Entirely MP focused
- DLC even more out of control than it is now
- Digital
- Mandatory internet connection

Boom. That's it, folks.

Considering how many people have agreed with this post, it sounds like (barring the first two points) a lot of you aren't making it past the next generation.

Not defending those points at all, but all indications make it seem like this is where the industry is heading.

Sadly, it seems you're right. I have more than enough games at my disposal, however, to last me... well, quite some time.
---
100% CJ = 100% victory
tbh, Chris Johnson should go back... to Mount Olympus. - Bio_Insanity
#53BJW1980Posted 1/31/2013 3:12:22 PM
I will never quit gaming but I would stop buying games and gaming consoles if the following became the norm.

Consoles allowing companies to "see" inside my home.

Consoles emphasizing an all-in-one entertainment system while making gaming secondary.

Consoles with multiplayer/ online only games.

Consoles with digital only content.

Consoles which have games saturated with commercial ads.

Consoles which require an internet connection to play games.
#54Carte360Posted 1/31/2013 3:13:54 PM
Not much.

Honestly, they could do just about anything, charge 200$ per game, w/e and I'd still be into gaming.

I'm just a gamer for life. For better or worse, I guess.
---
Why would Microsoft worry about exclusives when it has the awe-inspiring Kinect to sell consoles. - MrRGerk
#55Mr_GreenXPosted 1/31/2013 3:20:12 PM
Sheepinator posted...
Mr_GreenX posted...
I don't know if I would ever stop. But things that would make me play a lot less are...

1. EA's evil practices spread completely thoughout all videogames.

Oh man, yeah I hate those free map packs in ME3 that other companies would charge $10-$15 each for. Hate hate hate them. It's an absolute disgrace, and frankly, how is it even legal to give us stuff for free? It's an insult and an outrage, and I'm glad you're onto them.

Are you serious ? The only reason those were free is so people would keep playing that terrible ME3 multiplayer which had no bussiness being there in the first place.

A multiplayer where the only way to unlock wepons is by a random drop system that you have to grind to be able to use isn't fun. And they made it so you could pay real life money and skip the grinding and apparently people did.

Online passes. Pushing to make multiplayer standard in all videogames. And now microtransactions in single player games.

EA is the worst thing to happen to videogames in the entire history of videogames. But they have so much money there's nothing anyone can do about.
#56HeroKirbyPosted 1/31/2013 3:21:58 PM
-No more traditional JRPGs (already kind of beginning to happen)
-Zelda becomes dull, uber-realistic, devoid of charm, and M-rated
-No more indie/retro/experimental games

I think all of those things would have to happen for me to quit gaming.
#57WinternovaPosted 1/31/2013 3:22:35 PM
zyxomma100 posted...
Oh man, yeah I hate those free map packs in ME3 that other companies would charge $10-$15 each for. Hate hate hate them. It's an absolute disgrace, and frankly, how is it even legal to give us stuff for free? It's an insult and an outrage, and I'm glad you're onto them.

If someone doesn't like EA, it's petty to list a single nice thing they've done as though they've absolved themselves with one act.

EA is by far the biggest player when it comes to the legal department and the changing world of media. They're the Disney of video games. They've made (and continue to make) some good stuff, but their legal department lobbies heavily for laws that are bad for the industry and borderline unconstitutional.

You have no clue what you're taking about, do you?
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMKUUUvjjzo
Fan of: Steelers(6-time Champions), Red Wings(11-time Champions)
#58DrFeelgood1984Posted 1/31/2013 3:23:17 PM
JKSonic posted...
Besides a personal life-altering event taking place, is there anything within the gaming industry that would make you quit gaming?

For instance maybe Apple coming in and pushing out Sony/MS/Nintendo and taking the same approach to gaming as they do their other devices...meaning super high "premium" prices and regular updated releases...?

Or, maybe the industry going all digital before "we're" ready?

Banning used games?

Going all motion controlled?

Obviously from my examples this wouldn't have to be something that has any real chance of happening, or it could be something that could very well happen. I'm just curious what it would take for you to bail on your favorite/one of your favorite past times... This mostly applies to newer stuff too, I mean obviously you wouldn't have to stop using your retro platforms.

If I went blind I would stop gaming. That's it. I wouldn't stop for a billion dollars because a billion dollars without videogames would be pointless.
#59Ampharos64Posted 1/31/2013 3:23:59 PM
No more good, or at least decent, JRPGs. By that I mean there have to be at least some with a more traditional structure, too (needn't be turn-based, just the structure), I'm not interested in playing if they go more WRPG or MMO style.
My favourite franchises not being made/deteriorating in quality could severely hurt my interest in gaming, possibly to the extent I'd quit. I've already given up on Zelda, unsure about some changes to Pokemon, and if anything happened to Tales I would be really upset.
All motion controls/all heavily touch screen reliant games would wreck it for me, too. Games like that are near impossible for me due to nerve damage, too painful. I never liked motion controls (with the exception of gyroscopic like the 3DS, that usually works well), anyway.

Still, there are enough classics to keep me happy for quite a while, so yeah, I wouldn't really quit, just not keep up with the new stuff any more. I'm already planning to take a break from doing so to give a chance to see how the next gen is panning out before I commit to a new console.
#60Bleach313Posted 1/31/2013 3:36:23 PM
Once every game that comes out is a first-person shooter (which is kinda the direction we're going at the moment).

I like 1st person shooters but too much is a little stupid. I think once that happens I'll stop gaming and switch to full on animation instead.
---
Currently Playing: Persona 4 The Golden and Guild Wars 2
PSN ID: yooobooyj