This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

If you were to make a game...

#11kungfuj0Posted 1/31/2013 9:40:54 PM
If I had the means to make a game, I'd make a game that I, myself, would be eager to play. I am a unique person, but I am not so unique that other people might also want to play the game.

In a sense, I'd approach it the same way as if I ran a strip club. If I am the owner, I am not hiring any strippers that I, myself, would not want to get with, and I assume that my own tastes are broad enough that others would also feel the same about said stripper. That makes for a potentially more successful stripper.

I think the same concept can apply to games. I'd make a game that I'd want to kill to play. If I want to play it that badly, I am confident enough to think that others would want to play it too.

What I absolutely would NOT do is look at what's popular and try to cater to it. I would not put some popular gaming element in my game just for the sake of it being popular. If said element had a legit place within my game, then I'd consider it, but only then.
---
Alabama Crimson Tide: Now serving title #15..
ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!
#12MR_SorenPosted 1/31/2013 10:01:16 PM
I wouldn't try to appeal to everybody. I'd make a game I would want to play. That's what the designer of Dark Souls did, and the result was a game that a large minority loved.

There is no way to please everybody.

Some people want a gripping and thorough narrative. Others want to jump right into the action, and a narrative gets in the way. Some people want to explore a giant world, others are tired of walking around. Some people find easy games boring, others think difficult games are too frustrating. There's only so much you can do with adjustable difficulty.

At the end of the day, anybody designing a game should make something they would enjoy because you can't know for sure what others will like.
---
Blog: .............. http://red-grenade.com
Gamertag: .... rjcarello
#13BrutalBrockenPosted 1/31/2013 10:22:06 PM(edited)
You're not stealing my idea's! Nice try
---
XBOX- Brutal Brocken
PS3- BrutalBrocken
#14darkharePosted 2/1/2013 12:49:44 AM
crynryan posted...
Quote:my wife and i are learning the programming language of droid/tablets so that we can come up with some concept ideas of games to be played while your taking a crap. games that you can play in short incraments but last a long time, like time managment sims etc.
@darkhare

You can create concepts without learning a language. Just create some design documents and some levels all on paper. Then see if you think it's fun.

Or you could prototype your stuff in Game Maker or Flash, since those are really easy to prototype in while Android/iOS is relatively much harder.

im mostly doing the art, my wifes doing the programming. she says its not much more difficult than flash, i know some flash and what ive read of it makes sense to me.
---
a fish knows nothing but biting the hook.
#15JenniferTatePosted 2/1/2013 12:51:06 AM
I'd make Pokemon, but use posters from GFAQs.
---
Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth. - Mike Tyson
#16Chrono Trigger RulesPosted 2/1/2013 12:51:39 AM
Id make the game I think is good not based on what the consumers what, you know originality, like the old blizzard used to do.
---
Colbert on HSBC: So they're like 007, licensed to kill our economy.
#17Veliconis(Topic Creator)Posted 2/1/2013 5:21:07 AM

LOL You could make about 10x more Pokemon games than there are now if you used members from GameFAQs. Unfortunately, too many of them would fall under the "Troll" type. That or "Ass."
---
Your = belonging to you, you're = you are, their = belonging to them, they're = they are, there = not here.
#18Banana_ManaPosted 2/1/2013 5:44:31 AM
AlkalineKitten posted...

Can I be Eevee?
---
An Englishman, an Irishman and a Scotsman walk into a bar. The barman looks at them and says: "Is this some kind of a joke?
#19pakathecatPosted 2/1/2013 7:08:26 AM
Huge open-world map like Just Cause 2, NPCs and quests like TES and Fallout, loot like Diablo and such, combat like Dragon's Dogma. TONS of customization, lots of unique items to deck out your homes (which you also design) with, and clothing customization like Saints Row 2. Real-life activities and marriage like in the more recent Harvest Moon games, but in addition you can also marry, share properties and have families with other players online. Every week would bring a new randomly generated island or new map to explore, with unique characters and loot.