This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

News flash: Most people don't play games for realism

#1rickimaruPosted 1/31/2013 4:13:35 PM
If I wanted real life, I wouldn't be sitting on my Xbox.

The whole "realism" argument is pretty lame, unless referring to a simulation.
#2TheBlueStigPosted 1/31/2013 4:17:07 PM
If teh game is using real life objects, people, environments, cars, weapons, or locations, there's is an expected level of realism and if it doesn't exist it detracts from the game.
---
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
#3the36thchamberPosted 1/31/2013 4:19:33 PM
i certainly dont the more unreal the better.the closest thing i play to realistic is the crysis series
---
2013 Hype Dogs: Naruto UNS3,Metal Gear Rising,Castlevania LOS2,Crysis 3
GT-xNinjaScrollx
#4rockyoumonkeysPosted 1/31/2013 4:21:36 PM
TheBlueStig posted...
If teh game is using real life objects, people, environments, cars, weapons, or locations, there's is an expected level of realism and if it doesn't exist it detracts from the game.

This is so far from the truth that I think you just made it up without really even knowing why you were saying it.
---
Formerly Known As: boingboingboing
Now Reading: Great North Road, P. Hamilton
#5TheBlueStigPosted 1/31/2013 4:39:51 PM
rockyoumonkeys posted...
TheBlueStig posted...

This is so far from the truth that I think you just made it up without really even knowing why you were saying it.

I'll use an FPS type game as an example.

If they use human soldiers, real weapons, real locations, but nerf the s*** out of the weapons, use regenerating lifebars, make the enemies super-accurate and bulletproof and able to see and hear through walls, that makes people not want to play it.

In Racing games, using real cars but giving them unrealistic abilities that don't match real life cars, especially when only the AI has those abilities, that turns some people off, enough to stop playing completely.
---
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
#6GGearXPosted 1/31/2013 4:56:03 PM
rickimaru posted...

This is so true. I mean why play Madden when you can grab a football and go outside?
Why play fifa when you can grab a soccer ball and play with friends.
I bet it's Lazyness. " oh I'll play Madden since I'm too lazy to get off my *** and go outside"

And don't bring up a BS argument like
"hurr why play Call of Duty when you can join the army?"
Join the army and tell me it's the same. Because I can tell you right now it's not like COD at all.
At least Driving games or Flight Sims have a reason. You can't drive expensive cars or fly expensive planes unless you spend millions.
---
GT: KryDamoure *Insert cool line here *
.............I'm a very shy guy........
#7vigorm0rtisPosted 1/31/2013 5:02:35 PM
rockyoumonkeys posted...

He does it all the time.

What is realism in games? Should characters get hungry or cold? First aid should just stabilize injuries and reduce the likelihood of infection instead of healing? I mean, I've gone around with ES fans about spears every now and then, but what are we even talking about?
---
"'Grab the guns!' 'What about the troll?' 'Leave the troll.'"--ATHF
#8mrhappyguy12345Posted 1/31/2013 5:06:53 PM
I play different games for different reasons. Sometimes that reason is realism.
---
I love video games : )
#9zike_42Posted 1/31/2013 5:17:45 PM
GGearX posted...
rickimaru posted...

This is so true. I mean why play Madden when you can grab a football and go outside?
I bet it's Lazyness. " oh I'll play Madden since I'm too lazy to get off my *** and go outside"

Join the army and tell me it's the same. Because I can tell you right now it's not like COD at all.
At least Driving games or Flight Sims have a reason. You can't drive expensive cars or fly expensive planes unless you spend millions.

Yeah why play Madden when I can play for the 49ers and play in the SuperBowl in real life?
Why don't I go outside and play in Madison Square Garden for the New York Knicks?
Why don't I grab some skates and play with Alex Ovechkin in the Winter Classic?

Oh wait, I can't.
---
Great blog about the Australian National Basketball League - http://thenblblog.blogspot.com/
#10GGearXPosted 1/31/2013 5:23:05 PM
zike_42 posted...
GGearX posted...
rickimaru posted...

Yeah why play Madden when I can play for the 49ers and play in the SuperBowl in real life?
Why don't I go outside and play in Madison Square Garden for the New York Knicks?
Why don't I grab some skates and play with Alex Ovechkin in the Winter Classic?

Oh wait, I can't.

Go outside and play a game with your friends. Making excuses like it's "not your favorite team and you can't go to the super bow" isn't helping your case.
I still believe it's Lazyness. And you just proved it.
---
GT: KryDamoure *Insert cool line here *
.............I'm a very shy guy........