This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is backwards compatibility a must-have in the next generation?

#11SS_MetalSonicPosted 1/31/2013 8:36:15 PM
Not for me. Im keeping these consoles
---
PSWiiPC60DS - Deus Ex, Crysis, Skyward Sword, Black ops 2, Farcry 3
Forza 4, Rage, InFamous 2, Darksiders 2, Vanquish, NBA2K13, Halo 4, Skyrim, Borderlands
#12Reel_Big_MikePosted 1/31/2013 8:39:53 PM
Means absolutely nothing to me. If it takes any kind of effort for MS to make backwards compatibility work on the Durango, then they shouldn't bother and use that man power somewhere else. If I want to play another system's game...I'll just play that system.
#13DonomegaPosted 1/31/2013 8:42:28 PM
Not really, of course having backwards compadibility would be nice. But it won't be a deal breaker when purchasing a new console.
---
Intell 8088 @ 7.14Mhz | 640K RAM | TCGA 16 Color graphics | TWO 5.25" 640K Floppy drives | 10MB Hard disk
3DS FC: 0903-4184-6816
#14JKSonicPosted 1/31/2013 8:52:41 PM
Since this generation has lasted so freaking long...I say that it's definitely the right thing to do for sure. It's even more so the "right thing" since the first nextgen console out of the gates has it.
---
"You shouldn't be asking HOW things are, given that we already know there is something..but rather WHY things are, as opposed to there being nothing."
#15PStrifePosted 1/31/2013 9:15:09 PM
Of course it is, without it it delays your entry into the new console. Time is money the last time I checked with these businesses, unfortunately all this does not matter with how crappy and gimped next-gen games seem to be getting with Microsoft and Sony products.

Both are just leaving an awful cheapwad impression lately.
#16JenniferTatePosted 1/31/2013 9:22:11 PM
RahzarX posted...
AlkalineKitten posted...
I would prefer it. It's not a total deal breaker, but it can't hurt, since I'd still be buying games.

Would you buy more new games if it wasn't backwards compatible?

I would be buying new games either way. I think the publishers win out because I would be buying from two pools: last and current gen.

When I get a new console, I do tend to stow the older one in favor of the new toy. If the next systems had backwards compatibility, I am more likely to buy new and used 360/PS3 games I missed out on while also enjoying the next generation.

If it's not backwards compatible, I'll probably focus on the future libraries and not worry so much about playing catch up or trying new titles on last gen.

To answer you more directly, though, as I read your intent, backwards compatibility has no bearing on the quantity of new games I would purchase for the next-gen system. That is entirely dependent on what software they give me.

Up until 360 and PS3 I was a day one adopter. I was actually a WoW addict when the 360 hit, and while I picked it up at launch, I did flip it and never thought about the system until 2008, and even when I got one, it was a while until I could find a handful of games that genuinely interested me. So with the next-gen, I foresee myself waiting again.
---
Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth. - Mike Tyson
#172DshmuploverPosted 1/31/2013 9:28:16 PM
I think so, given the huge library of the 360. If MS are serious then they should capitalise on the fact it's a feasible task unlike with Sony's next gen machine. It will stand as a unique selling point. If they are migrating our achievements and gamertags across (which I assume they will) then giving us the ability to still add to them using 360 games on the new console is a cool thing. I'd love to see it personally.
---
The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.
GT: cloudskipa
#18knightimexPosted 1/31/2013 11:13:17 PM
I don't care.

I want to more forward.
Not a few steps back.
---
Old School Games FTW!
#19VincentVegaPosted 1/31/2013 11:37:56 PM
Given the 360's hardware problems who knows if they're still going to work in 20 years time like the classic consoles. Backwards compatibility on the new console would increase the chances of us being able to play these games in the years to come so yes, I do want the new console to be backwards compatible.
---
"I'm no hero. Never was, never will be. I'm just an old killer, hired to do some wet work."
Old Snake in Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
#20Foxx3kPosted 1/31/2013 11:41:01 PM
Not at all.

I mean let's face it - this generation basically didn't have backwards compatibility.
---
[LanParty nF4 Ultra-D] [AMD64 3700+ San Diego] [2x 1gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8] [2x 250gb Barracuda] [Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS] [X850XTPE]