This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is backwards compatibility a must-have in the next generation?

#31Erupt50Posted 2/1/2013 1:17:04 AM
beautifuldreams posted...
I really don't care. each gen tends to improve, so I rarely replay old games

Agreed. And are people serious saying they'll only buy a next gen console if has BC? Does anyone else not see the flaws in that logic?
---
PSN- Erupt50 XBL- Erupt50
#32TRC-G00SEPosted 2/1/2013 6:38:32 AM
Would be nice, but not a deal breaker either way. Could still use the older consoles if needed. My tv has plenty of inputs.
---
****!
#33godplaysSNESPosted 2/1/2013 7:04:22 AM
With digital distribution growing bigger, I definitely see backwards compatibility becoming more important
---
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!
#34chrcolPosted 2/2/2013 6:11:39 PM
BC is easy to do.

The fact the 360 only had a half job of it done may well have been requested by the publishers, because if someone is happy playing older games they less likely to buy new games.
#35oasisbeyondPosted 2/2/2013 7:24:21 PM
Since MS won't be making money off of old used 360 then... It's not important to them. They will however make most games downloadable like Sony dirty company.
#36Shy420Posted 2/2/2013 7:38:14 PM
Have people been asleep this gen . If there is BC I will be astounded. MS and Sony have each discovered that people will buy the more popular games in HD collections thus sell the same game a number of times. Why would either offer BC when they, three or more years down the line, can release a new PS4 or 720 collection.

Don't misunderstand, I would like nothing more than to play all of my games on one system I just don't see that happening.
---
I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! My life is my own.
#37randomweirdoPosted 2/2/2013 7:53:10 PM
I'm kind of in the middle here. I do want backwards compatibility, because we know that electronics aren't made like they used to and the chances of an old console breaking down is high and it is doubtful that support in repairs and replacements of accessories will last for much more than a couple of years after a new console release, if that.

However, I don't want it to be a bunch of extra trouble and hoops to jump through to get it to work.

I do feel that it would be crappy if any purchases from the marketplace are not supported at the very least. Whether it be by removing the DRM so license transfer isn't needed or that they will work in some manner on the new console.
#38Foxx3kPosted 2/2/2013 8:22:17 PM
Shy420 posted...
Have people been asleep this gen . If there is BC I will be astounded. MS and Sony have each discovered that people will buy the more popular games in HD collections thus sell the same game a number of times. Why would either offer BC when they, three or more years down the line, can release a new PS4 or 720 collection.

Don't misunderstand, I would like nothing more than to play all of my games on one system I just don't see that happening.

There won't be much point in HD collections when the next gen likely won't be another step up in terms of resolution... And "Now at REAL HD" will be a hard sell if they have it render at 1080P instead.
---
[LanParty nF4 Ultra-D] [AMD64 3700+ San Diego] [2x 1gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8] [2x 250gb Barracuda] [Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS] [X850XTPE]
#39levyjl1988Posted 2/2/2013 11:11:06 PM
Of course there will be backwards comparability for next gen Xbox. How else would anyone play Halo 4? It hasn't been a year since it's launch. Microsoft would support that and the many microtransactions for games on the marketplace. We aren't going to see a huge jump this gen. If you played PC on Mac you pretty much know what you are going into.
---
Check out Canada's only Comics and Gaming Magazine!
http://www.cgmagazine.ca/
#40Prince EnixPosted 2/3/2013 12:06:18 PM
VincentVega posted...
Given the 360's hardware problems who knows if they're still going to work in 20 years time like the classic consoles. Backwards compatibility on the new console would increase the chances of us being able to play these games in the years to come so yes, I do want the new console to be backwards compatible.

This is my sense. BC is the right thing to do.
---
Simia simia est, etiamsi aurea gestet insignia.
Fallaces sunt rerum species.