This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is backwards compatibility a must-have in the next generation?

#41metroidman92Posted 2/3/2013 1:10:43 PM
Considering I'd probably hang onto my 360, it wouldn't be a TOTAL deal breaker. But something like BC should just be standard as is. The 360 has a huge library, and someone buying a [720] w/o having had a 360, will be missing out on a huge backlog.
---
MAAAAAAARRRRRRRKKKKKKKK
NUUUUUUUUUTTTTTTTTTTTTT!
#42godplaysSNESPosted 2/3/2013 1:21:37 PM
chrcol posted...
BC is easy to do.

The fact the 360 only had a half job of it done may well have been requested by the publishers, because if someone is happy playing older games they less likely to buy new games.

BC may be easy, but it has consequences. If they put in 360 hardware to deal with it, that will eat up a part of the budget that could be spent on something else. If they do it via emulation, we can't be guaranteed the exact same experience.

The 360 did it through emulation, which is why some games have issues not present when played on the original Xbox, and some games don't even work at all.
---
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!
#43Darkest_EvilPosted 2/3/2013 1:23:01 PM
it should be for all the digital downloads we bought on live
everything should be able to transfer over
---
http://castleminerz.freeforums.org/index.php
#44stargazer1981Posted 2/3/2013 1:53:27 PM
Arucard05 posted...
Yes. BC is more important to the PS3 and 360 than it has ever been. This generation has made a sense of identity and ownership a big priority. My Gamertag, my Achievements, my XBLA games. It all better go seamlessly or somebody friend up big time.

I am in staunch agreement with this post.

I'd also add, BC shows a commitment to awarding the consumer for their brand loyalty.

I have a metric crap tonne of games that, if I were unable to play them on the newest console, seeing as I'm anal and like to have all my gaming on one device, I'd seriously consider not purchasing the newest iteration.
---
I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. They are so unlike your Christ - Gandhi
#45weapon_d00d816Posted 2/3/2013 1:56:03 PM
I'd say it's more necessary than last gen because there aren't a whole lot of new differences with this upcoming gen, so people will probably be playing 360 games much longer into the life of the 720 than they did with Xbox originals on the 360.
---
p + w > 9000, where p is the power level and w is what the scouter said about it.
#46Annihilator83Posted 2/3/2013 2:10:18 PM
It would definitely help in my purchase of a new system.
#47luciferosPosted 2/3/2013 2:47:53 PM
Yes it needs backwards compatibility. I want to be able to play my 360 games on the new system. If I can't, I'll be pissed.
---
Xbox Live: Decrepitaph
http://luciferosx.com
#48melvin343Posted 2/3/2013 2:54:23 PM
Sorry but BC is not needed for next-gen this is why, Companies are trying to get away from this. There are too many consoles to make for that now. I know Xbox 1 games will not be playable, I mean they didn't even finish making all the Xbox games compatible, just a select few. They actually stopped updating the list about 5 years ago. They will probably do what Sony is doing, re-release games in HD for the next-generation. So in 3-4 years we will see things like Gears of War Double HD Collection, or Halo Mega HD Collection will will have all the 360 Halo games. Hell look at what Nintendo is doing now, Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD only because Wii U does not play Gamecube games.
---
Brad Pitt, There's no silencer on that shotgun. How are you supposed to kill anyone softly without a silencer?
XBOX GT: Player1mj117. PSN: playmaker45.
#49Super CreaturesPosted 2/3/2013 2:57:05 PM
melvin343 posted...
I mean they didn't even finish making all the Xbox games compatible, just a select few.

If by select few you actually mean over 50% of the Xbox library.
---
R.I.P. Eve English (Feb. 12, 1968 - Oct. 13, 2010)
Momma Eve, you will be missed.
#50melvin343Posted 2/4/2013 9:10:51 AM
Super Creatures posted...
melvin343 posted...
I mean they didn't even finish making all the Xbox games compatible, just a select few.

If by select few you actually mean over 50% of the Xbox library.

I wasn't sure how many they download but I'm glad its over 50%.
---
Brad Pitt, There's no silencer on that shotgun. How are you supposed to kill anyone softly without a silencer?
XBOX GT: Player1mj117. PSN: playmaker45.