This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

There's one thing I want to see improved upon with the next generation...

#1pothocketPosted 2/1/2013 11:18:21 AM
And that is exploding red barrel technology. Exploding red barrels have been synonymous with video games for some time now but they're still exactly the same as the day they were introduced. Sure some games, like borderlands, have tried to improve the concept with things like barrels full of electricity or poison but that is more taking a step sideways rather than forward progress.

I'm talking a complete overhaul of the system and using the power of next generation consoles to bring exploding red barrels to their greatest potential. The apex of red barrels.

What I propose is this: rather than the first shot igniting the barrel and the second shot detonating it...wait for it...the barrel will "leak" from bullet holes.

You shot the barrel. Now the explosive liquid contained within will drain out the bullet hole to the level of the hole. The lower you shoot the barrel, the more liquid will drain out and less will be left in the barrel.

The larger the pool of liquid around the barrel, the more likely it is to catch a bullet spark and ignite. But the larger the pool also means less in the barrel, thus a smaller explosion. And that is the gameplay balance. It's easier to get a small explosion than a large one, although a larger pool of flames means longer area denial too. So there's strategy to take into account too: does the situation require a massive explosion or a pool of fire?

I provide this concept free of use to the developer community. Just give credit to Pothocket in the special thanks section of your credits.
---
well I am not like your dad. I worked as a chef at TGIF-Mattson
#2BlueJester007Posted 2/1/2013 11:24:47 AM(edited)
Just an FYI: Gauntlet: Legends did the whole "poisonous" barrel thing long before Borderlands.

But the mechanic you are suggesting would be too inconvienent to the player especially if they are in a tight spot and need a quick explosion.
---
Math illiteracy affects every 7 out of 5 people.
#3rwfan2cPosted 2/1/2013 11:22:31 AM
If Red Barrels are all your worried about for the next gen consoles then sir... your priorities are severely messed up.
---
XBOX GT: thetimeofthe9
Steam ID: Thetimeofthen9ne
#4pothocket(Topic Creator)Posted 2/1/2013 11:24:08 AM(edited)
rwfan2c posted...
If Red Barrels are all your worried about for the next gen consoles then sir... your priorities are severely messed up.

And you aren't worried?!?!! They've been the same for like 25 years!
---
#5rwfan2cPosted 2/1/2013 11:29:05 AM
rwfan2c posted...

And you aren't worried?!?!! They've been the same for like 25 years!

aside from Borderlands and Borderlands 2 i honestly cant think of many games ive played in the last year that have exploding barrels in them.... and thats mainly because i grew up and stopped playing Spunkgrargleweewee games.

"Spunkgargleweewee" Trademark of Yahtzee of Zero Punctuation fame. If you wish to know what "Spunkgrargleweewee" games are... they are games aimed at the late Teen early twenties male with no real focus on a coherent narrative.. or any real innovation in the (Mostly FPS) Genre) just insane over the top action and explosions for the inevitable 4-8 hours of gameplay.
---
#6pothocket(Topic Creator)Posted 2/1/2013 11:35:35 AM(edited)
It's sad to see you "matured" past the point of enjoying the simple beauty of an exploding red barrel.

I suggest playing Singularity MP. There is a monster creature that you can play as whose special ability is reaching into an alt dimension and bringing a red barrel back into our dimension and then throwing it into the faces of other players.

The concept of alt dimensions says that somewhere in some other universe/reality there is a red barrel in your exact location. This guy's power is being able to pull it into his reality over and over and over again. How does that not bring a smile to your face?
---
#7rwfan2cPosted 2/1/2013 11:40:00 AM
lol MP
---
#8pothocket(Topic Creator)Posted 2/1/2013 11:44:48 AM
Oh, so you matured past both red barrels and MP? When are you going to mature past trolling message boards?
---
#9rwfan2cPosted 2/1/2013 11:50:35 AM(edited)
no i still play MP sometimes... occasionally its entertaining. However for a game to warrant me spending money on it, it has to stand up on its Single player alone. and most of today's games cannot.
---