This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Anyone care to explain how the Gears series got worse after 1?

#1Halochief6Posted 2/1/2013 3:55:46 PM
I personally think 3 is the best in the series by a mile. Obviously other people disagree since I constantly see posts saying "Gears sucked after 1". Obviously it's all opinions but I'm curious to hear the reasons, they always seem to leave that part out.

I think everything was improved over the course of each game, barring possibly the story as I don't pay enough attention to it in games. Gameplay felt smoother with each installment. They added new modes with each game and have you more things to do. Graphics were improved, though that hardly matters when discussing the quality of games.

I thought the online was great in 2 & 3. 3 was far superior to 2 though. I'm aware of the issues people had with 2 online. I played that after the 6th title update and had almost zero issue with lag and such. What were the other issues with that?

Anyway, that's my opinion on the matter. Anyone wanna tell me what makes Gears 1 the best?
---
"Please explain to me how a dog can help a blind person see the difference in 720p to 1080p in tv sets under 32"?" - NakedSnake1986
#2pothocketPosted 2/1/2013 4:01:05 PM
I consider Gears 2 to be the low point. The campaign was just awful. Every area was a gimmick that did not focus on core Gears gameplay. They even ripped off PORTAL of all games.

Gears 3 campaign got the series back on track with it's focus on the core gameplay.

So for me it's 3>1>2
---
well I am not like your dad. I worked as a chef at TGIF-Mattson
#3SunDevil77Posted 2/1/2013 4:08:15 PM
3 is definitely the strongest installment.
---
Now I know what a TV dinner feels like.
#4OrangeSchweesePosted 2/1/2013 4:12:40 PM
3 is one of the best games ever and my favorite in the series.
#5Halochief6(Topic Creator)Posted 2/1/2013 4:14:44 PM
pothocket posted...
I consider Gears 2 to be the low point. The campaign was just awful. Every area was a gimmick that did not focus on core Gears gameplay. They even ripped off PORTAL of all games.

What gimmicks are you referring to? I didn't see it.
---
"Please explain to me how a dog can help a blind person see the difference in 720p to 1080p in tv sets under 32"?" - NakedSnake1986
#6Carte360Posted 2/1/2013 4:18:48 PM
pothocket posted...

Gears 3 campaign got the series back on track with it's focus on the core gameplay.

So for me it's 3>1>2

^ Exactly this.
---
Why would Microsoft worry about exclusives when it has the awe-inspiring Kinect to sell consoles. - MrRGerk
#7HENTAIDOJIPosted 2/1/2013 4:20:06 PM
pothocket posted...

So for me it's 3>1>2

What element of Gears 2 ripped off Portal?
---
http://nopybot.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/hentai-demotivational1.jpg
#8pothocketPosted 2/1/2013 4:20:22 PM
SPOILERS FOR 2

like at the research facility. Having to carry that stupid bomb and shoot one handed. Then it goes into a whole thing about turrets and flipping switches to proceed.

The worm especially was just one huge gimmick after another.

Every single area in the game felt like I had to "solve" it, and it got pretty annoying very quick.

Was also pissed that Cliffy lied to us to. Before the game was released, in preview videos, he joked about how everyone hated the krill and not to worry because they're not in this one, yet we get razor rain? -____-

It's. The. Same. Damn. Thing.
---
#9TBONE_OGPosted 2/1/2013 4:21:39 PM
Never had a huge problem with any Gears game. Love them and completed them all 100%.

Gears 2 campaign was fine, didn't see a problem with it. Yes the last boss fight was pathetic, but it doesn't ruin the game.

Now the problem that lied within Gears 2 is that it was rushed, and the MP was sloppily coded. Got fixed after 6 patches. But still, most of the time it played fine for me.

However, some will rag on the game because they implemented a new ranking system on a patch. That was the first mistake. People were getting reset left and right. I never did, but probably cause I never did something stupid aka wrong.

All in all, the franchise has been great and I'm looking forward to Judgement.
---
Always O.G.
#10pothocketPosted 2/1/2013 4:24:19 PM
HENTAIDOJI posted...
pothocket posted...

So for me it's 3>1>2

What element of Gears 2 ripped off Portal?

Abandoned research facility full of turrets and hostile A.I.

Maybe it doesn't feel like it now, but at the time when this stuff was new, it was like they were directly lifting elements out of Portal.
---