This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Your Unpopular Video Game Opinions thread!

#21rwfan2c(Topic Creator)Posted 2/2/2013 12:57:21 AM
I think MMOs are evolving to the point they could start to be more console friendly (Guild Wars 2, Tera, Planetside 2, DCUO), but I know what you mean.

yes totally. a well made console MMO has to be just around the corner.. and when one is executed well WoW may have a competitor in the MMO market.
---
XBOX GT: thetimeofthe9
Steam ID: Thetimeofthen9ne
#22JenniferTatePosted 2/2/2013 1:01:33 AM(edited)
vigorm0rtis posted...
AlkalineKitten posted...

3. Bioware games are fun, but their writing is half-assed. The characters are the most on the nose archetypes and they always pull from the same list. Their stories are also the same: Mass Effect was Jade Empire was Dragon Age was Neverwinter Nights was Baldur's Gate was Knights of the Old Republic.
c comic book artist.

You know, it's embarrassing how long it took me to realize this-- basically because Bioware writes really natural sounding dialogue. Characters in Bioware games have really organic exchanges, it lends them depth they don't have.

I have played them all, and I'm not saying the games are terrible; I have my favorite events and characters from all of them. That said, yeah, they really do have a formula.

Now, with the little experience I have writing scripts for comics or screen, and from the knowledge I picked up from my mentors, that's actually not a bad thing: the simplest example is Star Wars and how Lucas stated the monomyth, the heroes' journey, influenced it. It's like he took a worksheet and Mad Libbed A New Hope out. And once you get it down, there's actually a formula that has ruined how I watch and categorize movies.

I can't begrudge Bioware for it, I'm just weary of the praise they get. Like you said, the dialogue is usually fantastic. It's just the beats and story template that ring the same. And with video games, you'd think you could do so much more, and they seem more content to "do what works". Which again, I can't fault that, but it seems like people are slowly waking up to it, and we know gamers are a fickle bunch.

Old, but:

http://www.gatheryourparty.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/BioWare20Cliche20Chart.png

http://www.cracked.com/funny-3872-bioware/
---
Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth. - Mike Tyson
#23Arucard05Posted 2/2/2013 2:23:17 AM(edited)
A lot of Bioware games have striking similarities to each other, but it does them a disservice to call them "The same game over and over again", as the internet is becoming fond of saying. Things like "With your mission well under way, your every effort is thwarted by an evil or sinister organization" apply to most games, and most adventure narratives altogether. When you start looking for formulas in writing, you find that there's actually shockingly few. Bioware excels in dialog and creating believable worlds, so I've always praised the games not for the story, but the storytelling.
---
www.bewaretherobotsquad.com
Go there now! Or don't. Whatever man.
#24JenniferTatePosted 2/2/2013 2:28:50 AM
I know, friend, I did say that afterwards. I do it for a living, too. :)

I just don't think Bioware is the lead dog in dialogue and world creating anymore. Used to be, but not these days. That is my Unpopular Opinion.
---
Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth. - Mike Tyson
#25Storm_WalkerPosted 2/2/2013 2:55:23 AM
1. Halo series is just bland and repetitive. You'd think that if this franchise lived up to its own hype, it'd be able to convert a guy like me to the shooter side of gaming, but not good enough for me it seems.
2. Games aren't real, and they never will be. So it's pointless to try and make them all "realistic", a sad waste of potential.
3. Square needs to give up on Final Fantasy and just sell the rights to it to Atlus so the series can be fixed.
4. Still pissed off that I can't get Fatal Frame 4 because it was never localized here.
5. I am somewhat irritated about Skyrim and its lack of real choices in quests, with real consequences. IMO, part of the fun of being a part of a guild or a faction is the rivalry with other guilds. Maybe they're competing with you in the same field, or maybe they want to wipe you out for some other reason, but they kind of slacked off with that in Skyrim.
6. Something about modern military shooters in general irritate me, big time.
---
"I'm feelin' peachy keen, so f%@& you, and thanks for asking ^/.^"
#26DolphLundgrennnPosted 2/2/2013 3:22:47 AM
Pokemon is the biggest cash cow in gaming history.

Halo 4 was not as emotional as people said and Cortana's gap ruined any immersion.

Borderlands 2 was 10000000000000000x better than the first

DayZ is fun.

Dark Souls is not hard.
#27abombt7Posted 2/2/2013 4:35:05 AM
Mine would have to be that rockstar games are completely overrated. After vice city, I've never been able to get myself to complete any grand theft auto game. Red dead redemption I played for one day and sold it. The Max Payne series would probably be my favorite they offer, but I still think rockstar is too hyped.
#28_LordAndSaviorPosted 2/2/2013 10:44:18 AM
rwfan2c posted...
quick Explanation of this thread.

-Post your Opinions of things in the gaming industry that is by no mean the popular opinion. (This could be about a game, a charecter, a company, etc.)

-This is not a trolling topic... so please dont argue about other people opinions (They are opinions after all so they cannot be incorrect).

Mine are as follows (May add more later.)

1. Resident Evil 4 killed the series.

2. Halo has been a pretty bland and non-entertaining series since Halo 2. (Halo:CE wasn't great either but you can't deny what it did for FPS's on the consoles.)

3. The Uncharted Series is no where near as good as everyone says it is.

4. The Elder Scrolls games are nearly unplayable (Not unplayable because of broken controls, unplayable because of the blandness of everything.)

YES!
---
Will not change this sig, until Carlito is a World Champion! 7/10/11 (Unofficial Date: 6/11/05)
R.I.P Shauwk, Gone but Never Forgotten. You will be missed.
#29SunDevil77Posted 2/2/2013 10:52:40 AM
Realllly not a fan of Dark Souls
Fable is a fantastic franchise (Haven't played Journey, though)
Resident Evil 6 was a blasty blast.
I absolutely love Diablo 3

Coke is better than Pepsi...excluding Baja Blast.
---
Now I know what a TV dinner feels like.
#30shooterfan22Posted 2/2/2013 11:01:37 AM(edited)
The Shmups on Xbox 360 are way better than pretty much anything else on it.

Modern gaming is becoming more and more a bunch of mass-marketed crap and it will only get worse.

Dark Souls wasn't too hard and it's the best game of this gen.