This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Collectors edition items remind me so much of toys in cereal boxes

#1Highly EvolvedPosted 2/1/2013 11:54:18 PM
Buy the cereal for the toy, play with it for 10 minutes, put it away and never touch it again.

With VERY few exceptions, it's the same case with the goodies in CE.
---
It is the beginning of my end. I've raised you well, GameFAQs. Now go, make me proud. *sniff* - CjayC 7/19/2007
#2vigorm0rtisPosted 2/1/2013 11:55:52 PM
I only buy CEs for digital goodies and steelcases. I have enough nerd swag in my house already.
---
"'Grab the guns!' 'What about the troll?' 'Leave the troll.'"--ATHF
#3glassghost0Posted 2/1/2013 11:56:07 PM
What else would you do with them?

Do you play with coin collections? Baseball Cards?
---
www.youtube.com/GlassGhost428
#4JenniferTatePosted 2/2/2013 12:04:07 AM
I agree, I have buyer's remorse for a few CEs. The Arkham City Batman is cool, but I sold the Max Payne 3 statue. I dig the bullet keychain, though.

I am getting Tomb Raider's because the Lara action figure is by Play Arts, and those are pricey, and she can sit on my side table next to Kitty Pryde, Power Girl, and Spider-Woman. It did take a bit to talk myself out of the Last of Us $150 edition - the statue is so cool, but the cheaper CE came with the art book. Hardcover Art Book wins every time.
---
Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth. - Mike Tyson
#5Blade SeekerPosted 2/2/2013 12:08:13 AM
We got a spare room now that we moved and I've been making it into a mancave so I buy collector's editions to display that steelbooks and other goodies on my shelves. Don't care if it's nerdy or whatever, it looks good. Although I don't buy $150 editions anymore.
---
|| Detroit Red Wings || Detroit Tigers || Detroit Pistons || Michigan Wolverines || Tampa Bay Buccaneers ||
#6JenniferTatePosted 2/2/2013 12:10:36 AM
Screw nerdy. I have all my comic commissions and prints hanging front and center in my dining and living room and hallway into the office.

If you come into my home and don't like X-Men or Power Girl, you can walk on out.
---
Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth. - Mike Tyson
#7kingwutuguPosted 2/2/2013 2:26:04 AM
i remember trying to collect all the monsters in my pockets inside the cereal, back then they had great toys in cereal.
---
There is no I in team, But there is an I in Win
#8sethharris1191Posted 2/2/2013 5:26:11 AM
I despise steelbook cases, but I'm very much a fan of statues and DLC.
#9JKSonicPosted 2/2/2013 5:54:16 AM(edited)
I hate steelbook cases for the most part, lol. Problem with them is that they don't just fit in nice and snug with my other games, and even if they do then what's the point of having it? I mean the only real point would be to show it off right? But I'm not going to display my steelbooks...

For the most part the statues and stuff are pretty lame as well, however some things are pretty cool looking. I think the problem is that a lot of the companies just don't think them through. These should be fan service items or novelty things not huge hulking statues. For instance the Skyrim one HUGELY disappointed me. I was hoping for some fan service things like maybe a "bottle of skooma" or a plus mudcrab, maybe a tongue in cheek Skyrim travel brochure, a skyrim pub themed bottle opener, even a mini sword replica letter opener. Instead they gave yet another big statue. I just don't understand where they think people are going to put all this stuff.

I much prefer stuff like Alan Wake's CE which had cool digital stuff, a nice case (not steelbook) and a cool book that came with it. Or Fallout NV was cool too, had a really nice case and hardcover comic. Even the Dead Island Riptide one looks cool, with the suitcase themed case and bobblehead. These are all things that are mild looking enough and small enough that I don't mind displaying.
---
"You shouldn't be asking HOW things are, given that we already know there is something..but rather WHY things are, as opposed to there being nothing."
#10schmittycent2Posted 2/2/2013 6:03:12 AM
I have never bought a CE game never could see spending 150 bucks on a video game.
---
Xbox GT schmittycent