This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

CNN host tries and fails to link videogames to violence,,,

#51SparkItUpPosted 2/2/2013 12:49:14 PM(edited)
Lodiss posted...
If you think you can get the truth of any news cycle from any SINGLE news source, you deserve to be deluded.

And you must go beyond corporate media. Although you cannot ignore corporate media.

So basically, I get news from all of these sources, because I'm a junkie and I NEED IT MAN... I mean uh... Because each news outlet only ever has a part of the truth.

ABC
CBS
NBC
MSNBC
FoxNews
Al-Jazeera
Reuters
BBC
Xinua
RTNews
Salon
Politico
Drudge
The Nation
Harpers
New York Times
Washington Post
The Progressive
New Republic
Economist
Rolling Stone
Boston Globe
Newsweek
Huffington Post
Wired
Wall Street Journal
Baltimore Sun
LA Times
Chicago Tribune

I am aware that most of them are part of the same news organizations.

most of which are more entertainment more so than actual news. pretty much proved my post single handed.
---
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqFLXayD6e8
Now don't get me wrong, yeah I think you're alright, but that won't keep me warm in the middle of the night...
#52TheBlueStigPosted 2/2/2013 12:50:19 PM
SparkItUp posted...
I think the fact that you can look at crime statistics worldwide and see nations that have strict gun control, have lower violent crime rates are source enough.

Right now the UK has more than 4 times the violent crime rate per capita of the USA, more rapes, robberies, assaults, and overall crime than the USA. The UK's numbers before the bans were a fraction of what they are now.

Every nation that's had guns and banned them has watched their crime rates SKYROCKET instantly after the ban.

Kennesaw Georgia, gun ownership made mandatory for all home owners and concealed carry allowed. Home burglary drops to near zero in 2 months, person to person crime drops to near zero in 2 months. When both of those laws were repealed a few years later their crime went right back up again.

Same thing happened in Florida just after the CCW permit system was changed from May Issue to Shall Issue. Entire gangs started targeting foreign tourists because they knew they wouldn't be armed like Florida residents would be.

Vermont, loosest gun laws in the country, according to the fearmongering from CNN it should "be like the Wild West" (their own words) because no permit is required to carry concealed guns anywhere in the state, but Vermont has maintained SINGLE DIGIT firearm homicide numbers for more than 40 years in a row, some years have ZERO gun murders.

In Castole Doctrine states, states where people are LEGALLY allowed to defend themselves in their own homes from burglars, home burglary is FAR lower than in states where criminals are allowed to sue the victim if they get injured.
---
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
#53shawnmckPosted 2/2/2013 12:51:31 PM
The News Media isn't pushing news, but is pushing an agenda.
If it furthers their agenda then they will cover it and report it...if it doesn't push their agenda then they bury it & ignore it.

But they are NOT for reporting news, but instead report propaganda that furthers their agenda.
Their agenda here is that guns & video-games are BAD !
They only report the news stories where a gun was used to kill, but never report the many cases where a gun was used to defend someones life.
Just like they want to paint the picture that video-games are bad and cause violent behavior.

The News have really gotten blatant.
Before it was subtle, and still is on occasion, but now it is in your face.
I don't know why anyone still watches them.

And it doesn't matter who you watch, CNN, MSNBC, ABC, CBS, NBC, or even FOX...they all do it.
#54SparkItUpPosted 2/2/2013 12:58:35 PM
TheBlueStig posted...
SparkItUp posted...
I think the fact that you can look at crime statistics worldwide and see nations that have strict gun control, have lower violent crime rates are source enough.

Right now the UK has more than 4 times the violent crime rate per capita of the USA, more rapes, robberies, assaults, and overall crime than the USA. The UK's numbers before the bans were a fraction of what they are now.

Every nation that's had guns and banned them has watched their crime rates SKYROCKET instantly after the ban.

Kennesaw Georgia, gun ownership made mandatory for all home owners and concealed carry allowed. Home burglary drops to near zero in 2 months, person to person crime drops to near zero in 2 months. When both of those laws were repealed a few years later their crime went right back up again.

Same thing happened in Florida just after the CCW permit system was changed from May Issue to Shall Issue. Entire gangs started targeting foreign tourists because they knew they wouldn't be armed like Florida residents would be.

Vermont, loosest gun laws in the country, according to the fearmongering from CNN it should "be like the Wild West" (their own words) because no permit is required to carry concealed guns anywhere in the state, but Vermont has maintained SINGLE DIGIT firearm homicide numbers for more than 40 years in a row, some years have ZERO gun murders.

In Castole Doctrine states, states where people are LEGALLY allowed to defend themselves in their own homes from burglars, home burglary is FAR lower than in states where criminals are allowed to sue the victim if they get injured.

If you look at the FBI crime data...During the 1994 Assault Weapons ban...violent crime dropped dramatically...To be transparent however, this could also be due to the economic prosperity that the country as a whole was enjoying and also possibly due to the ban on lead (although this is a new theory and not entirely proven). This also however brings up a totally other different cause of violence...the economic conditions of a country (or more specifically, the correlation of not so much their QoL, but the degree of disruption of it). I'm not blaming guns totally, so please do not get that impression, I am merely point out that it is indeed a factor (not the sole, but one of many).
---
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqFLXayD6e8
Now don't get me wrong, yeah I think you're alright, but that won't keep me warm in the middle of the night...
#55Madness2012(Topic Creator)Posted 2/2/2013 12:59:25 PM
Why don't they show Saints Row the Third,then they could try banning Big Purple you know what....I think Arron Burnett show try one,maybe she won't be so uptight......
#56TheBlueStigPosted 2/2/2013 1:03:02 PM
SparkItUp posted...
If you look at the FBI crime data...During the 1994 Assault Weapons ban...violent crime dropped dramatically...

Columbine also happened right after that ban.

And also as the FBI data shows, the weapons on the ban list are NOT the most used weapons in crime, they're the LEAST used criminal weapons, so the ban would have had ZERO EFFECT on the vast majority of crime.
---
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
#57Res5Posted 2/2/2013 1:20:10 PM
My boss says that the overall death rate in the US has dropped in the last 50 years because of the rise in consumer-owned guns. I don't know statistics but if that's true then in spite of the rise in crime does it not warrant investigating that maybe the guns are doing more good than bad in spite of the tension it creates? Most gun owners fire at ranges with their guns. The only people who seem to ever resolve a gun situation is people who have their own guns, not the ones "authorized" to use them like the police.

There was an Autozone employee that got fired for saving the store he worked in with his own gun he had on him because he was violating safety rules for the company by having his gun with him at work.
---
My theme song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBjQ9tuuTJQ
Most people think they are the odd one out but never truly are. I am that one who actually is. :D
#58DyingPancakePosted 2/2/2013 1:25:40 PM(edited)
SparkItUp posted...
TheBlueStig posted...
SparkItUp posted...

If you look at the FBI crime data...During the 1994 Assault Weapons ban...violent crime dropped dramatically...To be transparent however, this could also be due to the economic prosperity that the country as a whole was enjoying and also possibly due to the ban on lead (although this is a new theory and not entirely proven). This also however brings up a totally other different cause of violence...the economic conditions of a country (or more specifically, the correlation of not so much their QoL, but the degree of disruption of it). I'm not blaming guns totally, so please do not get that impression, I am merely point out that it is indeed a factor (not the sole, but one of many).

No

Crime actually increased during that ban and after it was lifted murder and crime decreased about 5%

This was in the FBI preliminary Summary so I'm not sure which report you're reading
---
Under a cold October sky, I wait
Number of deer shot this year: 2
#59Guitarist76Posted 2/2/2013 1:29:32 PM
The thing about this "report" is she kept trying to force him to say what she wanted him to. You can even tell that by the way she sounds at the end,plus she doesn't even seem to know anything about games. If your going to blame games at least play some so you know what you're talking about. As far as owning guns and playing games go if they caused violence every one I know would be in jail. The real cause of shootings is not getting help to those who need it.
---
if you have accepted Jesus Christ as your lord and savior and are 100% proud of it put this in your sig
Rock n' Roll aint noise pollution
#60Res5Posted 2/2/2013 1:33:59 PM
Guitarist76 posted...
The thing about this "report" is she kept trying to force him to say what she wanted him to. You can even tell that by the way she sounds at the end,plus she doesn't even seem to know anything about games. If your going to blame games at least play some so you know what you're talking about. As far as owning guns and playing games go if they caused violence every one I know would be in jail. The real cause of shootings is not getting help to those who need it.

You know what's funny is the only thing people talk about in GTA is the random killing you CAN do but not one talks about the story missions or how it's mostly just a gangster/mafia story which we have plenty of. Video games are hardly the only media form that uses such stories.
---
My theme song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBjQ9tuuTJQ
Most people think they are the odd one out but never truly are. I am that one who actually is. :D