This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

xbox scratched my fallout 3 disc!

#1VeryDarkSoulPosted 2/2/2013 10:10:05 AM
It's not a very deep scratch, but it's there. It looks more like a smudge then a clean scratch. It's not scratched to the point it won't be read. Obviously I can just install the game, but I shouldn't have to install a game to prevent it from being destroyed.

I blew the dust out of the dvd drive and went on a GTA4 marathon to see if it was scratching all games, nothing happened to the GTA 4 disc. Has anyone else had this problem with only ONE game?

Should I complain to Microsoft? Exchange my disc?
---
Ron Paul 2012
#2TheBlueStigPosted 2/2/2013 10:48:33 AM
If you moved or bumped the system while the disc was spinning, it's your own fault.
---
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
#3VeryDarkSoul(Topic Creator)Posted 2/2/2013 11:00:30 AM
yeah because when I play xbox games I throw my xbox around
---
Ron Paul 2012
#4Famished_CorpsePosted 2/2/2013 11:18:59 AM
VeryDarkSoul posted...

That's not what TheBlueStig said at all.

If something caused physical movement of the console while the disc is spinning, it's very likely that the disc inside the disc drive will get scratched. Accidents happen...no one is accusing you of going crazy on your console.

If the scratch doesn't affect the game while playing it, then I wouldn't worry about it.
---
Darkness unfolds upon the earth, Each day another loss -
Hunted each and everyone, All the bodies left to rot in the sun
#5Teepo64Posted 2/2/2013 11:56:43 AM
Which Xbox 360 version do you have?
---
"If I kept it any more real, physics as we know it, would cease to remain the same."
#6TheBlueStigPosted 2/2/2013 11:59:29 AM
VeryDarkSoul posted...

All it takes is one small tilt or bump. It could be from a slamming door, someone walking too heavy, something dropping to the floor heavy enough to vibrate the system, a small earthquake, or if you live in a tall building it can sway back and forth in the wind.

There is no disc balancer in a 360, nothing to keep the disc level with the laser, so if there's ANY movement of the system at all while that disc is spinning, it can be scratched.
---
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
#7VeryDarkSoul(Topic Creator)Posted 2/2/2013 2:03:21 PM
Teepo64 posted...
Which Xbox 360 version do you have?

the original 20gb
---
Ron Paul 2012
#8VeryDarkSoul(Topic Creator)Posted 2/2/2013 2:04:24 PM
TheBlueStig posted...
VeryDarkSoul posted...

All it takes is one small tilt or bump. It could be from a slamming door, someone walking too heavy, something dropping to the floor heavy enough to vibrate the system, a small earthquake, or if you live in a tall building it can sway back and forth in the wind.

There is no disc balancer in a 360, nothing to keep the disc level with the laser, so if there's ANY movement of the system at all while that disc is spinning, it can be scratched.

I put in a game I don't care about and jumped up and down next to my xbox and the game did not scratch. I think it could be I had the game running for like 12 hours, but I dunno I've played some games for a pretty long time and nothing happened. My bad company 2 disc is flawless and I played that game for like 100 hours total
---
Ron Paul 2012
#9A-G-IPosted 2/2/2013 2:04:37 PM
You'd be surprised what can cause a scratch. Anything from the tiniest fraction of movement when the disc is in motion, to the brush of a fingertip. Scratches are - in most cases - classed as accidental damage, and Microsoft wouldn't do anything to help you.
---
@AperioGaming - I follow back!
AGI - Aperio Gaming Intel
#10randomweirdoPosted 2/2/2013 2:19:44 PM(edited)
TheBlueStig posted...
VeryDarkSoul posted...

Any movement that causes it to no longer be level to be more precise. Some movement actually is fine and won't cause any problem because the console itself remains level, which is key. The console just has to remain level while a disc is being used.

For instance, if your console is on a TV cart, that can be pushed while playing the disc. I have tested this myself. As long as I'm careful to ensure the way is clear so the cart moves across a clean floor and move it slowly, it's fine. Is it safer to just turn the console off and unplug it when moving? Most definitely. Or also to just remove the disc.

Two things that are very bad to do with a console is to place it on the floor or on top of something like a large speaker or subwoofer. The console will be more prone to movement due to vibrations there. A stable shelf is far safer, and in a horizontal position when possible. That gives it a better center of gravity and makes the chances of it not remaining level become very low.

A-G-I posted...
You'd be surprised what can cause a scratch. Anything from the tiniest fraction of movement when the disc is in motion, to the brush of a fingertip. Scratches are - in most cases - classed as accidental damage, and Microsoft wouldn't do anything to help you.

Only thing they really can do is offer a disc replacement program for games they publish. That is better than buying the game again for newer games that haven't had a price drop. If it's not published by Microsoft, then you have to ask the publisher if they offer one. Most of them have something that will allow you to replace the discs only in the game for about $20.