This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

XNA is Dead

#1CyricsServantPosted 2/2/2013 1:55:02 PM(edited)
Some interesting news that flew under the radar.

Hopefully this just means there's a new development platform on the horizon.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2013/02/01/report-xna-is-dead.aspx

The Microsoft XNA development platform is being discontinued, which might be sad news for indie developers. The toolset, which was used in the creation of Xbox Live Arcade titles like Fez, Bastion, and Dust: An Elysian Tail, served as way for smaller developers to get their titles in the hands of Xbox 360 gamers.

According to an internal email obtained by CVG, XNA is "not in active development," and the company is retiring it from the MVP Award Program. In effect, Microsoft is phasing out XNA as a development platform, which is a bit of a surprise considering how many smaller development studios used XNA to produce some of the games that defined Xbox Live Arcade and Xbox Live Indie Games.

Microsoft has not announced any plans for any replacement or successor to the XNA platform.
#2el_pajoleroPosted 2/2/2013 2:19:44 PM
I wonder if that means the end of the indie games section on the marketplace.
---
If death's coming it best come quick.
#3bluehat94Posted 2/2/2013 2:23:41 PM
I would be surprised if they didn't replace it with something.
---
"So my lunch today involved both a noodle packet and a sauce packet....so yeah, things are going pretty well for me."
#4crynryanPosted 2/2/2013 5:21:49 PM
Quote:I wonder if that means the end of the indie games section on the marketplace.
@el_pajolero

Probably not. They still require a $100 subscription fee to have your games on the service, and that's probably where they make most of the money because most XBLIGS are crap and don't sell.
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.10
#5CapwnDPosted 2/2/2013 6:03:52 PM
I'm still afraid that I'll loose access to Decimation X3. If that happens I swear I will find my own way to recreate that game.
---
Death to Videodrome, Long Live the New Flesh
#6FFTHEWINNERPosted 2/2/2013 6:26:40 PM
bluehat94 posted...
I would be surprised if they didn't replace it with something.

---
WHO AM I?FFTHEWINNER. WHO ARE YOU?URTHELOSER
http://i.imgur.com/xgSex.png