This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why do some "complain" about $60 games that lasted 6 hours or less?

#21JenniferTatePosted 2/4/2013 12:28:47 AM
Long. Short. Either is fine. I just ask you give me some replayability.

Not even Bayonetta-like weapon and item grinds/hunts. Not even NG+. Even old NES games had challenges like Choose Your Own Level (Mega Man!) or were crammed full of secrets nobody could figure out on just one play through (Super Mario Bros 3). Or that most basic of all needs, addicting and satisfying game play (what's up, Contra: Shattered Soldier?).
---
Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth. - Mike Tyson
#22DRzCalderonPosted 2/4/2013 1:10:10 AM
I actually find this topic quite informatively,....interesting.
---
"You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain."
#23memphis12Posted 2/4/2013 1:39:42 AM
bluehat94 posted...
StarGoy posted...
Because those could be the opinions of two separate groups of people.

This.

TC, what you need to understand it this, there are people who are predominantly MP players and people who are predominantly SP players.

Those who mostly play SP find it hard or impossible to justify games that are that short and that are of that quality in the SP mode. A Quality SP experience can be as long or a short as it needs to be, but it's also such an experience that even if it's short, you'll want to play it again just to go through it all again. The games that you're referring to are both short and not really replayable at all.

Those who mostly play MP find it way easier to justify, because they'll be pouring hundreds of hours into that mode, and feel the elite subscription is worth it because they get tons more content for the mode that they'll be playing by far the most of.

I'm a single player guy & you hit the nail on the head.
---
'I wrestled with an alligator,I tussled with a whale,only last week I murdered a rock, injured a stone, hospitalized a brick. I'm so mean I make medicine sick.'
#24hak145Posted 2/4/2013 2:11:52 AM
here is a better question. How can a person who is firmly christian not believe in global warming? Two abstract concepts yet one has evidence while the other one has no solid empirical evidence. People say its hard for people to believe global warming since its an abstract concept yet religion is about as abstract as it gets. I just don't get those people.
---
Gamertag XL:CRAZYjump
Winner: Dark Souls
#25Carte360Posted 2/4/2013 4:19:10 AM
Because not everyone is a troll?
---
Why would Microsoft worry about exclusives when it has the awe-inspiring Kinect to sell consoles. - MrRGerk
#26jsplisimPosted 2/4/2013 4:20:46 AM
StarGoy posted...
Because those could be the opinions of two separate groups of people.

/topic.
---
What it is big momma? My momma didnt raise no dummies, I dug her rap!
#27CyricsServantPosted 2/4/2013 5:18:55 AM(edited)
shawnmck posted...
For every "high quality" 6-hour game that you can name, I can name two or more piss-poor quality 6-hour games.

The whole "quality over quantity" argument just doesn't hold up.

Just because a game is short does NOT mean that its good.

Case in point...
Brink
RE: Operation Raccoon City
Army of Two: 40th Day
Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days
Homefront
Darkness 2
Turok
Enslaved
legendary
Blacksite: Area 51
Bionic Commando

And many others.
All short, and all pieces of crap !

Whooooa, wait a minute, Shawn. Why are The Darkness 2 and Enslaved on the "pieces of crap" list? :0

I see where you're coming from with the other games though.

Anyway, I'm going to add my own two cents. A short, excellent game is all well and good, but we've gotten to the point where gaming is such a big industry that there's a plethora of long, excellent games on the market, and it's now very hard for me justify purchasing a game for $60 if it's less than 10 hours. Pretty much impossible, in fact.

This is true for Indie games as well. Why should I pay $5 for Thirty Flights of Loving, which will last me an estimated 12 minutes, when I could pay $5 for Hotline Miami, which will last me at least six hours?

That's basically $25 an hour vs. 80 cents an hour. Both provide excellent gaming experiences . . . one's just a significantly better value.
#28knightimexPosted 2/4/2013 6:26:38 AM
shawnmck posted...
For every "high quality" 6-hour game that you can name, I can name two or more piss-poor quality 6-hour games.

The whole "quality over quantity" argument just doesn't hold up.

Just because a game is short does NOT mean that its good.

Case in point...
Brink
RE: Operation Raccoon City
Army of Two: 40th Day
Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days
Homefront
Darkness 2
Turok
Enslaved
legendary
Blacksite: Area 51
Bionic Commando

And many others.
All short, and all pieces of crap !

Now, lets list some great LONG games....
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Fallout 3
Skyrim
Oblivion
Mafia 2
Red Dead Redemption
Bioshock
Borderlands
Far Cry 3
Dark Souls
Witcher 2
Dragon's Dogma

And I could go on.

Just because a game is short doesn't automatically make it good, and just because a game is long, doesn't automatically make it bad.

The game obviously has to be good.
derp.
I don't care if the game last 3 hours or 3 years.
S*** game is S*** if it's not fun to play.

With a 3 hour game I'll more than likely revisit the game several times over.
Most 30+ hour games are lucky to even get a 2nd play through.
---
Old School Games FTW!
#29SheepinatorPosted 2/4/2013 6:44:23 AM
shawnmck posted...
Some people (myself included) only play a game for its single-player campaign, which makes the game over-priced because we are NEVER going to touch MP.

That doesn't make any sense. It's like saying a BluRay with hours of extras is a rip-off if you're the kind of guy who doesn't watch extras. Or the guy who gets 300 hours from CoD but never plays Zombies has been ripped off. Included in your own list of "great" games are RDR and FC3, games with MP you declared moments earlier are rip-offs.

If you got X hours of quality entertainment from something, that is the value proposition to you, regardless what additional modes are included which you choose not to play. Plus, I don't understand the "NEVER!" attitude. You're saying upcoming game Y which has MP is a rip-off because you will NEVER even try the MP which you may like, but you'll never know because you won't try it. Like the AC series and ME3 both have good MP modes, but apparently those games are all over-priced because they include an MP mode.
---
My mad face and my happy face are the same.
#30HaganPosted 2/4/2013 6:52:09 AM
$60 is not as much as it use to be. I would say if you got 6-10 hours of playtime from a $60 game it could be worth it.

Heck, If I go out to dinner, or take my GF out to a movie, the price would be roughly equal but yet you would only get a couple hours of entertainment.
---
XBL GT= illidan z
http://www.youtube.com/user/illidanz