The message you selected is no longer available for viewing.

This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What is the reason hardcore gamers are afraid to do easy mode or normal mode?

#1GGearXPosted 2/3/2013 3:00:55 PM
Simple, it is because of the word "easy" in it. You see, "easy" is a very scary word word to gamers of this day and age, it has a negative connotation applied to it. A lot of gamers think they are "hardcore" and would be way too prideful to do a "easy" mode.
I've noticed a lot of gamers doing that these days. Heck I have friends who beat the CoD games on veteran not because of just the achievement, but because they wanted to prove their "hardcoreness" .
I know I did played Reach on legendary, 4 on heroic, RE4, 5, and 6 on professional.

So why do we do this? Is it because we are " too hardcore" and playing normal and easy mode are like an insult to our "hardcoreness"?
Do you guys feel the same way? Play the harder difficulties because it wasn't hardcore enough, or because you will be playing games, the same mode as a casual ?

(sorry about saying hardcore alot. I don't know what else to call it)
---
GT: KryDamoure *Insert cool line here *
.............I'm a very shy guy........
#2mrhappyguy12345Posted 2/3/2013 3:06:55 PM
I dont play through many hardcore modes, but I do stay away from easy modes. I just like to feel challenged, and easy mode doesn't provide that.
---
I love video games : )
#3LightgamerPosted 2/3/2013 3:10:05 PM
I avoid playing on Normal and Easy because of the experience. The experience is more intense on higher difficulties, and that's a fact that's true to games like Call of Duty and Halo, especially Halo ("Heroic : This is the way Halo is meant to be played"). AI is more aggressive and react better to your tactics.

I am playing Mass Effect 3 on hardcore, this is the first time, its not too hard. At times I even wish I started it off on Insanity because so far it's been rough but mostly smooth.

As for games like Bayonetta and DMC.. Ninja Gaiden II >_>, I have to play these games on their Normal modes because I can't handle the higher difficulties. So the genre also plays a factor. I can handle the highest difficulty on most FPS games.
---
Xbox Live: GodintheGalaxy, PSN: EuphoricJudas
#4StarGoyPosted 2/3/2013 3:10:51 PM
I've no comment on the neurotic, mentally irregular people you've described in your post, but personally, there're numerous reasons:

Firsty, I don't want the game to end too quickly, so I start on Hardest to not only prolong the experience, but feel as though I've got my money's worth. Secondly, most games attempt to build tension in the player; if I feel unthreatened by the game's enemies, immersion is lowered. Starting out on the hardest setting puts me on edge -- as if I can die at any minute -- and becomes about survival, and thusly, immersion into tension.
#5lokinineteenPosted 2/3/2013 3:14:31 PM
I play all games on the hardest setting due to them being pretty easy to figure out & defeat even on the hardest difficulty. Plus I will probably only play each game once so playing on "hardcore" brings me the most satisfaction & enjoyment for myself.
#6GGearX(Topic Creator)Posted 2/3/2013 3:16:15 PM
I look back at my past experiences with harder difficulties, and I noticed that I yell, or feel like breaking my controller.
I remember playing with my brother and I we both got angry at each other for dying.

Then I think back on the days where I played easy mode and it feels so stress free. It feels fun, which IMO games should be 95% of the time.

So you guys like the challenge, the stress that comes with it when you fail?
---
#7josh924Posted 2/3/2013 3:22:34 PM
I usually only play games on Normal or a higher difficulty. Easy mode is usually too easy, and there's no sense of accomplishment if you feel like you're basically fighting mannequins.
---
I like how the GameFAQs spellcheck shows that the word "Wii" is fine, but the words "Xbox" and "Kinect" show up as typos.
#8alienfreaks04Posted 2/3/2013 3:30:45 PM
Normal is most comfortable for me, and I will play that my first time in a game 90% of the time.
I don't understand people who will play a game on its absolute hardest difficulty setting right away (something above the standard Hard).
---
My signature is better than yours.
#9GGearX(Topic Creator)Posted 2/3/2013 3:36:04 PM
alienfreaks04 posted...
Normal is most comfortable for me, and I will play that my first time in a game 90% of the time.
I don't understand people who will play a game on its absolute hardest difficulty setting right away (something above the standard Hard).

Yep. That causes stress for me. Especially if I didn't play it before.
---
#10knightimexPosted 2/3/2013 4:05:43 PM
If I just want to enjoy the story I'll play on easy or normal first, then something harder the 2nd time around.
(depends on genre)
---
Old School Games FTW!