This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What is the reason hardcore gamers are afraid to do easy mode or normal mode?

#21GGearX(Topic Creator)Posted 2/3/2013 6:22:59 PM
darkhare posted...
i dont consider myself a hardcore gamer at all, matter of fact i consider myself a casual gamer yet i still play the majority of the single player games on hardest or next to the hardest difficulty.

I always thought hardcore gamers were IMO people who played lots of games and knew games.
These days I guess the defining has changed.
---
GT: KryDamoure *Insert cool line here *
.............I'm a very shy guy........
#22darkharePosted 2/3/2013 6:29:23 PM
GGearX posted...
darkhare posted...
i dont consider myself a hardcore gamer at all, matter of fact i consider myself a casual gamer yet i still play the majority of the single player games on hardest or next to the hardest difficulty.

I always thought hardcore gamers were IMO people who played lots of games and knew games.

GGearX posted...
Simple, it is because of the word "easy" in it. You see, "easy" is a very scary word word to gamers of this day and age, it has a negative connotation applied to it. A lot of gamers think they are "hardcore" and would be way too prideful to do a "easy" mode.

http://youtu.be/KJJdlnWupGE

---
micro-transactions in $60.00 retail games, it will get worse devs are just boiling the frog slowly so we dont notice.
#23shagadelicPosted 2/3/2013 6:33:33 PM
Easy or normal mode usually don't offer much of a challenge to experienced gamers. I hate playing action games where the enemies stand there and do absolutely nothing while I kill them, which is exactly what they do on easy mode.
#24TheBlueStigPosted 2/3/2013 6:35:39 PM
Easy mode should never be able to get through the entire game, at some point in time the player should be forced to switch to normal mode.

At the very least Easy mode should be locked out until the gamer has tried Normal mode and died a certain number of times.
---
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
#25656stoogePosted 2/3/2013 6:37:56 PM
GGearX posted...
darkhare posted...

Hardcore gamer = Someone who plays video games as their main hobby.

I considered myself a hardcore gamer when all I had was 10 Megadrive games, because all I'd do from the minute I finished school to the minute I went to bed was play them.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQ_wbc3Z5C8
#26hak145Posted 2/3/2013 6:45:23 PM
i always play one lower difficulty level then the highest. You know why? because a game being easy is not fun while a game that reasonably tests your skills is always better. You remind me of my friend. For some reason in halo reach, he made a custom game mode where everything is maxed out so he could pretty much demolish wave after wave of enemies with no threat whatsoever. He played it for hours and hours while I could not understand how he could be entertained by it. It was so boring. Yet he played dark souls and gave up on the first boss, where as I have played that game for 700+hours.
---
Gamertag XL:CRAZYjump
Winner: Dark Souls
#27GGearX(Topic Creator)Posted 2/3/2013 6:52:07 PM
hak145 posted...
i always play one lower difficulty level then the highest. You know why? because a game being easy is not fun while a game that reasonably tests your skills is always better. You remind me of my friend. For some reason in halo reach, he made a custom game mode where everything is maxed out so he could pretty much demolish wave after wave of enemies with no threat whatsoever. He played it for hours and hours while I could not understand how he could be entertained by it. It was so boring. Yet he played dark souls and gave up on the first boss, where as I have played that game for 700+hours.

Never said I played games that weren't fun or on a lower difficulty. I beat dark souls just fine. But I can't bring myself to play a game like COD on veteran. It's stressful.
---
GT: KryDamoure *Insert cool line here *
.............I'm a very shy guy........
#28knightimexPosted 2/3/2013 6:52:30 PM
hak145 posted...

Some people take games more seriously than others.
Some just play to entertain themselves.
---
Old School Games FTW!
#29DarthSchubertPosted 2/3/2013 7:10:47 PM
You use the word afraid, probably because you want to elicit a response, not because you want to be accurate. I don't think gamers are afraid of easy mode; and if they are, you shouldn't concern yourself with the .01% that is 'afraid' of a gaming mode. Because it's easy to win an argument when you only argue with the most crazy polarized side.

Now that we've gotten that out of the way... I know for myself and my gamer friends, most of us have been playing games for 10+ years. Playing a game on normal is usually boring in that it presents such little challenge. I play games for storyline, but I still want to play a game, not watch a movie. I like a bit of challenge, so I almost always play on hard mode.
---
"Life is like a box of chocolates. Diabetics can't enjoy either."
#30lDarkdrakPosted 2/3/2013 7:20:35 PM
knightimex posted...
hak145 posted...

Some people take games more seriously than others.
Some just play to entertain themselves.

Except maybe the 0.01% pro gamers, everyone play games to entertain themselves, but some people can't get entertained by playing easy games.
---
If I can't beat them, I'll laugh them off.