This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What is the reason hardcore gamers are afraid to do easy mode or normal mode?

#51Master_BassPosted 2/3/2013 9:24:01 PM
I mostly just play on normal nowadays too. Sometimes I'll bump the difficulty up if I really like the game and play through it again, but I have so many unplayed games I normally just beat them once and move on.
---
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a23/omegazero55/Random/JudithOYO.gif http://i50.tinypic.com/x0pdep.png http://i45.tinypic.com/awb49h.png
#52JSusiePosted 2/3/2013 9:28:05 PM
I have too many games already in my backlog. I literally will never get through them all if I took the time to get good enough at all the games I play to finish them on their hardest difficulty.

So I normally stick to normal difficulty or the one above it.

It's not that I don't enjoy challenges (Dark Souls is one of my favorites of all time), I just simply do not have the time to make that kind of investment into every game I own. And I'm not good enough at most genres of games that I can blast through them on the hardest difficulty without putting in some serious time.
---
Currently playing: Nobody cares.
PC Specs: Nobody cares.
#53diablogamerPosted 2/3/2013 9:43:41 PM
No enjoyment in playing it on easy so why bother.
---
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very
persistent one" Albert Einstein
#54AtalalamaPosted 2/3/2013 10:11:56 PM
Pfft. I play games to have fun. I screw around in easy mode, then screw around in the other modes thereafter.

It's all abut the fun.
#55Ampharos64Posted 2/3/2013 10:20:16 PM(edited)
Well, I'd consider a big part of what makes someone a hardcore gamer is being good at games and liking playing difficult ones, as well as it being about how into gaming as a hobby they are and how much knowledge they have about it. So to me it naturally follows that they'd choose higher difficulties. People like that are likely to have become quite skilled over time.

A lot of games are very easy these days anyway, in comparison to older titles. It's been one of my major gripes about gaming this gen, because it just ends up extremely boring when there's no challenge at all and the game is just insultingly easy. Especially with how hand-holdy some of them can be.

I don't mind playing on Normal (unless Normal mode might as well have been named Easy), but I can't see the point of playing on Easy for the vast majority of games, anyone who plays games much at all will surely be able to learn the game quickly enough that they'd be fine on Normal anyway. You probably won't get much better at it if you just play on Easy for the entire game, myself I enjoy the feeling I'm getting better at a game and I'm sure that's the case for a lot of people.
Only exception for me personally is extremely touchscreen or motion control heavy games, since they're physically very hard for me to play (nerve damage, ouch), I should probably switch TWEWY's difficulty down so I can finish it. But, the gamplay won't be fun anymore like that. It'll just be to see the story. I think, if I have to put it on Easy + max level, I won't really feel like I've earned it in the same way, either, because in JRPGs continuing in the story is I guess a major way the game rewards you. TWEWY also includes rewards for making it harder as part of the gameplay, as it affects what pins you get and their drop rates.

So, I don't think anyone is afraid of Easy modes, it's just not fun for them, and this is especially likely to be the case for hardcore gamers.
#56Gunvalkyrie2Posted 2/3/2013 10:14:36 PM
GGearX posted...
I look back at my past experiences with harder difficulties, and I noticed that I yell, or feel like breaking my controller.
I remember playing with my brother and I we both got angry at each other for dying.

Then I think back on the days where I played easy mode and it feels so stress free. It feels fun, which IMO games should be 95% of the time.

So you guys like the challenge, the stress that comes with it when you fail?

You left out the sense of accomplishment when you SUCCEED.
---
It's not just a rumor, I heard it on Gamefaqs.
#57Ampharos64Posted 2/3/2013 10:19:25 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#58NewShirePosted 2/3/2013 10:20:21 PM
Seems arrogant of the TC to make a sweeping analysis of such a large group of people like that.

I often play action games and first person shooters on the hard setting simply because I enjoy the challenge when I play those type of games. I don't get frustrated from failure very much when I play games because it's fun to learn from your mistakes and try again.

If I'm not in the mood for that kind of experience, I won't play that kind of game. I'll play something relaxing like Minecraft.
---
Taste the torture that I endure!
#59GGearX(Topic Creator)Posted 2/3/2013 10:23:03 PM
NewShire posted...
Seems arrogant of the TC to make a sweeping analysis of such a large group of people like that.

I often play action games and first person shooters on the hard setting simply because I enjoy the challenge when I play those type of games. I don't get frustrated from failure very much when I play games because it's fun to learn from your mistakes and try again.

If I'm not in the mood for that kind of experience, I won't play that kind of game. I'll play something relaxing like Minecraft.

Creepers are relaxing? :P
---
GT: KryDamoure *Insert cool line here *
.............I'm a very shy guy........
#60master_gamr1231Posted 2/3/2013 10:27:13 PM
I pretty much always play on the easiest difficulty, unless there's some incentive for playing a harder difficulty such as an achievement or other in-game unlockable. I'm also a big glitch exploiter and save editor. But hey, I still have tons of fun and easily spend a lot of time in games, especially my favorites.
---
Why do people... betray one another? They might as well... all just die instead.
Welcome to my kingdom!