This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What is the reason hardcore gamers are afraid to do easy mode or normal mode?

#71Infini22Posted 2/4/2013 12:28:58 AM
Because of the challenge. I never play lower difficulty than max unless a game is not intended to be played on max difficulty for the first playthrough. Normal/easy just seem boring in comparison, I like my games to give me a challenge = fun.
#72Kirby127Posted 2/4/2013 12:32:27 AM
I always play a game through on every difficulty at least once, going from easiest to hardest.

Though, when I`m playing for fun I usually go for normal modes. Unless it`s an FPS. I like the hardest modes for those because of the strategy involved. Especially if it`s a game like Half-Life or F.E.A.R. with A.I.`s that strategize just as much as you do.
---
PSN: Looming_Darkness||Gamertag: Kionea
Yay!
#73NewavePosted 2/4/2013 12:44:45 AM
As a hardcore gamer I don't understand the question. I have to play through the easiest modes first moving up through them to the hardest. Why would I ever call myself a hardcore gamer if I skipped a minimum of two thirds of games? That makes as much sense as not using every every cheat, code and secret in games. Why limit my experience to only a tiny part? No hardcore gamer could live with themselves if they did that.
---
I have: NES, GB, GBA(3), PSX(5), DC, PS2, PSP(2), GC(2), Wii, XB(2), XB360
I want: GBP, GBL, GBC, SNES, MD, MCD, 32X, SS, PS3, PSV
#74nonexistingheroPosted 2/4/2013 12:46:21 AM
Ah, I'm pretty hardcore, but I have no problems starting on easy. I usually do that with FPS games, then work my way up. But well, I don't enjoy most FPS games enough to beat them on anything harder than normal though. I suppose I also start a decent amount of games on hard.

A very common problem is stupid developers making a game really easy on normal, but not allowing you to play on hard right from the start.
---
Read the mania: http://www.fanfiction.net/~nonexistinghero
In SA2, it's Super Sonic and Hyper Shadow.
#75nonexistingheroPosted 2/4/2013 12:48:11 AM
Newave posted...
As a hardcore gamer I don't understand the question. I have to play through the easiest modes first moving up through them to the hardest. Why would I ever call myself a hardcore gamer if I skipped a minimum of two thirds of games? That makes as much sense as not using every every cheat, code and secret in games. Why limit my experience to only a tiny part? No hardcore gamer could live with themselves if they did that.

Most games are exactly the same on the earlier difficulties, except that you get more damage and enemies get more health/precision/aggressiveness. Unless the game is like Ninja Gaiden, you're not missing anything by starting a game on a harder difficulty. That's why those difficulties were made in the first place... so players can play on any skill level they want.
---
Read the mania: http://www.fanfiction.net/~nonexistinghero
In SA2, it's Super Sonic and Hyper Shadow.
#76pennywise666Posted 2/4/2013 1:17:31 AM
Lightgamer posted...
I avoid playing on Normal and Easy because of the experience. The experience is more intense on higher difficulties, and that's a fact that's true to games like Call of Duty and Halo, especially Halo ("Heroic : This is the way Halo is meant to be played"). AI is more aggressive and react better to your tactics.

I am playing Mass Effect 3 on hardcore, this is the first time, its not too hard. At times I even wish I started it off on Insanity because so far it's been rough but mostly smooth.

As for games like Bayonetta and DMC.. Ninja Gaiden II >_>, I have to play these games on their Normal modes because I can't handle the higher difficulties. So the genre also plays a factor. I can handle the highest difficulty on most FPS games.

Yeah but games like bayonetta and Devil may cry they kind of expect you to play a lower difficulty before moving to harder because of all the collectibles and upgrades...
---
Not removing this sig till Quebec City get a NHL team!
Does anybody knows who's sleeping with whom around here?
#77grungastzenkiPosted 2/4/2013 2:07:02 AM
Because i like it hard.
But that doesn't mean i hate easy games, i like playing mario and zelda despite the games being ridiculously easy
If there is a choice of difficulty i usually play hard, especially on the game that i love
---
I am an epic junkie
#78memphis12Posted 2/4/2013 2:37:57 AM
GGearX posted...
I look back at my past experiences with harder difficulties, and I noticed that I yell, or feel like breaking my controller.
I remember playing with my brother and I we both got angry at each other for dying.

Then I think back on the days where I played easy mode and it feels so stress free. It feels fun, which IMO games should be 95% of the time.

So you guys like the challenge, the stress that comes with it when you fail?

Not stress, satisfaction when I beat something I failed at moments earlier. I get no satisfaction beating a game on anything but the hardest difficulty.
I play a lot of RPG's and want to feel like the skill points I allocate will determine whether I succeed or fail, otherwise it's pointless. (In my opinion)

Everybody's different, you know that.

What turns some people on, can turn other people off. It's life.
---
'I wrestled with an alligator,I tussled with a whale,only last week I murdered a rock, injured a stone, hospitalized a brick. I'm so mean I make medicine sick.'
#79SubSeenixPosted 2/4/2013 3:10:45 AM(edited)
Most players these days don't know what hardcore means or ever experienced it.

For information
Everything with Halo and CoD has nothing to do with Hardcore.
Its casual garbage FPS for little kids.

Why do hardcore players avoid easy and normal?
Humans usually have a competitive nature - We want to strive for the best and to overcome our enemy.
And it doesn't matter if its against a machine(hardest settings/difficulty) or against other humans or if possible both in a race(for example World First Raids in WoW are a race against both)
Games like Bayonetta,DMC and stuff where you have to go through each difficulty are usually preparing you for harder stuff.Especially cause you mostly take over the collectable stuff/skills from earlier difficulties to the next one.
At the end you have either leaderboards where you go for the highest score or set your self challenges like No Damage runs+Skill/Style and Speedruns(especially those) for youtube or world records.

Why Halo and CoD aren't in any single way hardcore?
Cause every idiot can be good in those games - Those games are made for jumping in and feel like the king even if you only play 30 minutes a day and even your friend who plays those games for the first time online gets kills.
NEVER could happen in Quake,UT,Doom;PK,Counter Strike and other really SKILL BASED Shooters.
#80Halo_ForeverPosted 2/4/2013 5:05:58 AM
Because easy mode is usually way way to easy, it doesn't force me to learn the game, I just glide through, which especially on a more expensive purchase isn't the way to go.

I'm more the normal/hard guy, if there are three difficulty settings I take the middle one, if there are four difficulty settings, I take hard.
---
Poet Eliot had it all wrong....