This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What is the reason hardcore gamers are afraid to do easy mode or normal mode?

#81Splice_Posted 2/4/2013 4:08:24 AM
I start on normal. If its good enough it'll get a play through on hard. If its AMAZING ill do it on the hardest difficulty. No need to be frustrated or to hit a wall
#82knightimexPosted 2/4/2013 6:16:55 AM(edited)
vanguard29 posted...
i think this is fair. if it is too difficult for a child, they shouldnt be playing that game.

Never played an NES game before have you?
---
Old School Games FTW!
#83Dragon NexusPosted 2/4/2013 6:27:38 AM
I skip on Easy mode because I find it too easy, unchallenging and basically boring for about 90% of my games.

I'll go with Normal or Hard mode for a first time play through not to boast how awesome I am, but because I like to balance challenge with fun.

Some games I'll play on easy first time through, usually action games like Ninja Gaiden, Bayonetta, DMC and the like until I get to grips with how they play. Then I'll bump it up to Normal and go from there. I'll sometimes *try* Normal, but after doing what feels like chip damage against the first boss while he wrecks my smock I'll knock it down a notch.
---
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that you can never be sure if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
#84pakathecatPosted 2/4/2013 7:11:28 AM
Though I spend a lot of my spare money on games and put a lot of time into reading about and researching them, I do play more to relax, blow off steam, explore, and sometimes enjoy a good story. For those reasons, I generally play on the easiest settings, though it depends on the game and if there are achievements attached to difficulty level.

I'd like to see more agreement among devs about what exactly constitutes easy/casual. I've seen a huge amount of variation, from impossible-to-lose easy to still quite difficult. I wouldn't mind seeing even easier settings on many games, not for myself so much as people like my dad, who would like to get into games more but finds stuff like The Saboteur on the easiest setting too much.
#85Perfect LightPosted 2/4/2013 7:22:13 AM
I play on Normal or Easy because most games increase difficulty by making enemies bullet sponges and the player have all the resistance of a piece of tissue paper. That just isn't fun to me. It's just increasing the length of time enemies take to kill and putting a full clip into something to bring it down is just boring.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIbu3wJDmVQ - New gaming series
My podcast: hulkshare.com/inferiorminds
#86SheepinatorPosted 2/4/2013 7:29:59 AM
Splice_ posted...
I start on normal. If its good enough it'll get a play through on hard. If its AMAZING ill do it on the hardest difficulty. No need to be frustrated or to hit a wall

Generally the same here. Plus on Normal I can get all the random Achievements and collectibles done, which would be much harder on a higher difficulty, especially on a first playthrough. And it gives me something to look forward to if I want to replay it.

The thing to remember is devs tune the game for Normal but they often don't put much effort into other difficulty settings. At its simplest, it's an arbitrary global multiplier across the entire game to your damage taken and dished out.

There are rare exceptions. Red Faction Guerrilla was the only game I ever knocked down to Easy. It was a little tougher than I wanted on Normal and there were no difficulty related Achievements anyway, so I just had fun with the destruction and enjoyed the game. RAGE on the other hand was way too easy so I bumped it to Nightmare and it felt like Normal should have been, i.e. a decent challenge but not too hard or frustrating.
---
My mad face and my happy face are the same.
#87Shy420Posted 2/4/2013 8:06:06 AM
TheBlueStig posted...
Easy mode should never be able to get through the entire game, at some point in time the player should be forced to switch to normal mode.

At the very least Easy mode should be locked out until the gamer has tried Normal mode and died a certain number of times.

Why, why does it bother you that other people who have no link to you should want an easy time of it playing a game. If you chose to play on a harder difficulty why would it bother you that there is an easier way to play. I never truly understand this selfish mentality. Not every one has the same skills or experience playing games.
---
I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! My life is my own.
#88aDominationPosted 2/4/2013 8:10:27 AM
Faster to get achievements above easy/normal would be my guess.
---
Achievement Unlocked
Into the Void 150(G)Learn the truth of Sithis and lived to be his Listener forever.
#89Chrono Trigger RulesPosted 2/4/2013 8:55:05 AM
mrhappyguy12345 posted...
I dont play through many hardcore modes, but I do stay away from easy modes. I just like to feel challenged, and easy mode doesn't provide that.

This, doing what a blind monkey can do as well is no fun
---
Colbert on HSBC: So they're like 007, licensed to kill our economy.
#90MR_SorenPosted 2/4/2013 9:43:57 AM
I am not afraid to play easy, I just find that Easy mode often bores me.
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.9
Blog: http://www.red-grenade.com