This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do you think that people underestimate what next gen systems will be capable of?

#1Hucast9Posted 2/3/2013 4:28:41 PM
Do you think that people underestimate what next gen systems will be capable of? - Results (56 votes)
Yes they underestimate. Next-gen consoles will be very powerful.
32.14% (18 votes)
No they don't underestimate. The power of Next-gen consoles wont be huge.
67.86% (38 votes)
This poll is now closed.
Some people expect to see graphics and performance like the Samaritan tech demo in real time in launch games. Go look up "The Samaritan Tech Demo" on Youtube or PS3youtube if you don't know what that is.

Some people expect just an increase in resolution to 1080p native for all games, a minimal increase in graphics, and 60 frames per seconfd for most games.
#2Sebastian1989Posted 2/3/2013 4:47:16 PM
The jump from last gen to this current gen was huge. Current gen to Samaritan isnt a huge jump.
---
"Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine."Humphrey Bogart, Casablanca
#3Hucast9(Topic Creator)Posted 2/3/2013 4:52:35 PM
Sebastian1989 posted...
The jump from last gen to this current gen was huge. Current gen to Samaritan isnt a huge jump.

You serious bro? That tech demo ran on 3 powerful pc cards, then it was reduced to 1 power card. I would say that the jump from this gen to The Samritan tech demo or the Agni's Philosophy Square/Enix tech demo is a big jump.
#4knightimexPosted 2/3/2013 5:03:41 PM
No way in hell can any next gen console match that of what was shown (Samaritan demo)
Just won't happen.

That's not to say next gen won't look closer to it.
---
Old School Games FTW!
#5shawnmckPosted 2/3/2013 5:44:18 PM(edited)
I've been gaming for 35+ years, and people have been saying that graphics "can't get much better" for the past few generations.
The XB 360 was a drastic leap in quality from the original X-Box 1, so I suspect that the X-Box 3 will be a huge leap in quality as well.
Judging from the rumored specs, it looks like it will be.

Some people just like to be pessimists and poo-poo on everything.

Keep in mind that last gen people were claiming that the XB 360 wasn't going to be a big leap either...so they were WRONG then, and they will be proven WRONG again.
#6gamer6587Posted 2/3/2013 7:20:07 PM
I expect all call of dutys to look like battlefield 3 (pc version on ultra settings)
---
Currently Playing: Black Ops 2 and MGS Collection
#7DieMyBridePosted 2/3/2013 7:37:56 PM
Definitely won't see a huge difference within the first year of games. It's probably not gonna be as mind blowing compared to the last transition.
---
XboxLive GT:JoeStillLife
#8randomweirdoPosted 2/3/2013 7:49:26 PM
shawnmck posted...
I've been gaming for 35+ years, and people have been saying that graphics "can't get much better" for the past few generations.
The XB 360 was a drastic leap in quality from the original X-Box 1, so I suspect that the X-Box 3 will be a huge leap in quality as well.
Judging from the rumored specs, it looks like it will be.

Some people just like to be pessimists and poo-poo on everything.

Keep in mind that last gen people were claiming that the XB 360 wasn't going to be a big leap either...so they were WRONG then, and they will be proven WRONG again.

Graphics still can get better. Just go see what can be done with CG and look at the fact that games still do not have that level of graphics for the entire game yet. The only way they cannot get better is if they look the same as a TV or movie for the entire game with absolutely no shortcuts or things that don't look real.
#9rockyoumonkeysPosted 2/3/2013 7:53:26 PM
We always do this, because we always have a hard time believing they can get much better. It's hard to look at a game like Gears of War 3 and imagine how it could look much better.

It's not until well into the next gen that some of us will realize how wrong we were.
---
Formerly Known As: boingboingboing
Now Reading: Great North Road, P. Hamilton
#10googlerPosted 2/3/2013 8:12:40 PM
If graphics keep approaching photo-realism, then what is the actual ceiling, per say amd when will they have to start branching out to other parts of the experience to go to that next level. I think if it can hit something as fantastic as the Samaritan demo and be able to incorporate something like the full-room projection or VR/AR while keeping stable frame rates and post processing then I think we have something