This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So I'm really curious... Why all the console hate/favoritism really?

#11kungfucolinPosted 2/3/2013 8:06:14 PM
Consoles (these days) are clunky 30fps machines (a few notable exceptions)

long live the PC gaming master race
---
Latest Video: DmC gameplay
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhOpvyxuhiM
#12gabriusPosted 2/3/2013 8:11:15 PM
SunDevil77 posted...
gabrius posted...
Google "brand loyalty".

IMO, it's a rather pathetic phenomenon.

Indeed. I can't tell you the s*** I get from my elitist ass motorhead friends about the brand of my car.

Why can't people like one brand over another? Now I understand that we don't need to jump down someones throat because they don't like what they like but that doesn't mean people can't be "brand loyal"

I own both the PS3 and the 360, I like the 360 more (mostly because of the controler and on a lesser note I hate how you have to install all the games on the PS3) I also like Ford over chevy. Now do I give people cra p about the PS3 and chevys... NO because I don't care that much but that doesn't mean I can't tell people I like the 360 and Fords.

What ev..

We're not talking about preference here, we all have those. Honestly I prefer my 360 over my PS3... but I'm damn happy I have both.

We're discussing what happens when that concept is taken way too far.
---
SHOOTEMUP
/XBL|PSN\ - Gabrius
#13SunDevil77Posted 2/3/2013 8:14:15 PM
gabrius posted...
SunDevil77 posted...
gabrius posted...
Google "brand loyalty".

IMO, it's a rather pathetic phenomenon.

Indeed. I can't tell you the s*** I get from my elitist ass motorhead friends about the brand of my car.

Why can't people like one brand over another? Now I understand that we don't need to jump down someones throat because they don't like what they like but that doesn't mean people can't be "brand loyal"

I own both the PS3 and the 360, I like the 360 more (mostly because of the controler and on a lesser note I hate how you have to install all the games on the PS3) I also like Ford over chevy. Now do I give people cra p about the PS3 and chevys... NO because I don't care that much but that doesn't mean I can't tell people I like the 360 and Fords.

What ev..

We're not talking about preference here, we all have those. Honestly I prefer my 360 over my PS3... but I'm damn happy I have both.

We're discussing what happens when that concept is taken way too far.

Exactly. Like how I am considered a "poor soccer mom" among my friends, when I have a twenty thousand dollar car...but it's a Honda.
---
Royal with Cheese. What do they call a Big Mac? Big Mac's a Big Mac, but they call it Le Big Mac.
#14WinternovaPosted 2/3/2013 8:18:00 PM
DarkECOJak posted...
So why all the hate?

Because I feel like I wasted my money on the Wii.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMKUUUvjjzo
Fan of: Steelers(6-time Champions), Red Wings(11-time Champions)
#15shawnmckPosted 2/3/2013 8:22:22 PM
It boils down to arrogance & elitism...that is to say, they are better than you...therefore, their system is better than yours.
And if you don't play what they play, then you are "crap."

Its all childish arrogance & elitist snobbery.
#16GGearXPosted 2/3/2013 8:23:32 PM
Winternova posted...
DarkECOJak posted...
So why all the hate?

Because I feel like I wasted my money on the Wii.

Same here. That's why I got an Xbox 360.
---
GT: KryDamoure *Insert cool line here *
.............I'm a very shy guy........
#17JenniferTatePosted 2/3/2013 11:16:19 PM
Back when I was in 4th grade, it was usually because most kids were lucky to get their parents to shell out for one system in the first place. You got a SNES or a Genesis. It was rare to have both. I knew of two families who had both: one's dad was a gaming addict and had everything - should have seen his shelves; his wife left him in the 6th grade. Second family was mine, because my parents got divorced and my mom (the "bad guy" in this scenario) tried to butter me up with gifts all the time, and of course I accepted them, because it was like a present machine I could hurl guilt quarters into.

Anyway, it came down to parents or older siblings with jobs having the income and controlling what came into the house. When I was able to babysit and walk dogs and do lawn care at 13, I could just buy things for myself. In high school, most of us worked weekends or after school and were able to fund N64 and PS. I was able to get a Dreamcast before college.

And from high school on, the only people I've ever known who played the Sega Does What Nintendon't or whatever card were people who lacked the means to buy whatever they want. And as SunDevil alluded, it's not just consoles. I have one friend who doesn't work and lives off of odd jobs and never has spending money, and won't go to a concert with me because he needs to save for Heart of the Swarm in March.

It isn't, "Sorry, I'm saving for StarCraft's expansion," when I asked, it's, "Eh, Bad Religion isn't so great, they're old, and concerts are just two hours. StarCraft will last me all year" even though I know full well Bad Religion is one of his favorite bands and the opening band is his number one band, Against Me!, but of course, it's a hostile rejection where something must be "better".
---
Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth. - Mike Tyson
#18shawnmckPosted 2/3/2013 11:35:51 PM
AlkalineKitten posted...

It isn't, "Sorry, I'm saving for StarCraft's expansion," when I asked, it's, "Eh, Bad Religion isn't so great, they're old, and concerts are just two hours. StarCraft will last me all year" even though I know full well Bad Religion is one of his favorite bands and the opening band is his number one band, Against Me!, but of course, it's a hostile rejection where something must be "better".

^ In other words, it's the "sour-grapes" mentality.
You can't have what you want, so you poo-poo it to make yourself feel better...?

I'm sure that is part of it.

I think the other part is just fanboyism, or fanaticism...
Like having a favorite sports team...and you will always hate any team that opposes your favored team.
Same thing with politics, favorite brand soda, brand of car, favorite genre, etc.

How many times have we encountered people who absolutely despise a genre (FPS) but never play them because it just isn't their thing....like maybe they prefer JRPG's, so they feel like they should automatically hate FPS, cause it is way more popular & mainstream than theirs.

^ I've actually encountered a bunch of these people...they maybe played Modern Warfare 1 for like 20 minutes, decided they didn't like it, but are convinced that every single CoD game from Modern Warfare to Black Ops is just the worst piles of garbage ever created....

* "Have you played MW 2 or 3, or even Black Ops 1 &/or 2..?"
* "No, because they all suck"
* "Well how would you know if you didn't play them?"
* "Because I (they) played the first level of MW1, and I hated it."
* "Well, have you played Bioshock, or Borderlands, or any other FPS games ?"
* "No, FPS games SUCK !" ...."Besides, they are all the same"...."Why should I play games that SUCK ?"
#19TantrumBullPosted 2/4/2013 12:50:37 AM
I still remember the days of idiots and morons telling me I should sell my genesis and all the games I like for it to get the snes because it has "better graphics" while never being able to tell me what games on the system would be worth the time.
---
For what ever reason G_gglypuff completely forgot Ninja Gaiden Black is an Xbox game even though I told him it is and even told him I have it. >_<
#20pyrokinesis666Posted 2/4/2013 12:53:57 AM
im not loyal to one console, i just cant afford to buy a ps3 and buy games for my 360 and a ps3.

once you guys move out of mommys house and have bills you'll be in same boat.