This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So I'm really curious... Why all the console hate/favoritism really?

#21JenniferTatePosted 2/4/2013 12:24:20 AM
shawnmck posted...

^ In other words, it's the "sour-grapes" mentality.
You can't have what you want, so you poo-poo it to make yourself feel better...?

I'm sure that is part of it.

I think the other part is just fanboyism, or fanaticism...
Like having a favorite sports team...and you will always hate any team that opposes your favored team.
Same thing with politics, favorite brand soda, brand of car, favorite genre, etc.

Yes, that's the term. Sorry, hadn't written all day, so when I get the chance to, explosion.

Well said and agreed with on your fanaticism addition.
---
Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth. - Mike Tyson
#22Halo_ForeverPosted 2/4/2013 5:28:16 AM
The PS3 Dual Shock Controller is reason enough for me to dislike it. The PS3 has a lot of interesting games and exclusives (along with a license system much more to my tastes), but as long as the controller has issue I can't really like it.
---
Poet Eliot had it all wrong....
#23Ginsu VictimPosted 2/4/2013 5:32:17 AM
Halo_Forever posted...
The PS3 Dual Shock Controller is reason enough for me to dislike it. The PS3 has a lot of interesting games and exclusives (along with a license system much more to my tastes), but as long as the controller has issue I can't really like it.

Then use a different controller, or get a Cronus device and use your 360 controller.
---
I'M RUNNIN' THIS MONKEY FARM NOW, FRANKENSTEIN!!! - Capt. Rhodes, Day of the Dead (1985)
#24Halo_ForeverPosted 2/4/2013 5:42:32 AM
Ginsu Victim posted...
Halo_Forever posted...

Then use a different controller, or get a Cronus device and use your 360 controller.

Cronus Device you say..., must take a look at that.
---
Poet Eliot had it all wrong....
#25skiguy1981Posted 2/4/2013 7:53:57 AM
AlkalineKitten posted...
Back when I was in 4th grade, it was usually because most kids were lucky to get their parents to shell out for one system in the first place. You got a SNES or a Genesis. It was rare to have both. I knew of two families who had both: one's dad was a gaming addict and had everything - should have seen his shelves; his wife left him in the 6th grade. Second family was mine, because my parents got divorced and my mom (the "bad guy" in this scenario) tried to butter me up with gifts all the time, and of course I accepted them, because it was like a present machine I could hurl guilt quarters into.

Anyway, it came down to parents or older siblings with jobs having the income and controlling what came into the house. When I was able to babysit and walk dogs and do lawn care at 13, I could just buy things for myself. In high school, most of us worked weekends or after school and were able to fund N64 and PS. I was able to get a Dreamcast before college.

And from high school on, the only people I've ever known who played the Sega Does What Nintendon't or whatever card were people who lacked the means to buy whatever they want. And as SunDevil alluded, it's not just consoles. I have one friend who doesn't work and lives off of odd jobs and never has spending money, and won't go to a concert with me because he needs to save for Heart of the Swarm in March.

It isn't, "Sorry, I'm saving for StarCraft's expansion," when I asked, it's, "Eh, Bad Religion isn't so great, they're old, and concerts are just two hours. StarCraft will last me all year" even though I know full well Bad Religion is one of his favorite bands and the opening band is his number one band, Against Me!, but of course, it's a hostile rejection where something must be "better".

so what did your mom do to make her the bad guy
---
The problem with Internet quotations is that many are not genuine. - Abraham Lincoln
#26kungfucolinPosted 2/4/2013 7:55:08 AM
I still remember the days of idiots and morons telling me I should sell my genesis and all the games I like for it to get the snes because it has "better graphics" while never being able to tell me what games on the system would be worth the time.

FINAL FIGHT 3!!!!!!
---
Latest Video: DmC gameplay
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhOpvyxuhiM
#27JenniferTatePosted 2/4/2013 1:07:31 PM(edited)
skiguy1981 posted...
AlkalineKitten posted...

so what did your mom do to make her the bad guy

She was embezzling money from the company she worked for and scamming money from my family (both sides). Actually, when they first got divorced my dad "was the bad guy" for "having an affair", which ended up not being true. I lived with her/she had custody for a few years, and she would piss away the child support on frivolous things (like said gifts, in hindsight) and I was a latchkey kid to the extreme: I looked forward to weekends in 5th and 6th grade because she would go out clubbing with friends and scamming guys, and that meant I got $100 for food and Blockbuster rentals and didn't see her from Friday morning until Monday morning. The few times she was home she'd be crashed out with a hangover.

This lifestyle actually was detrimental to me, as my grades tanked in 6th grade and I used to break and enter, shoplift, etc. and was sent to live with my dad "as punishment". Turns out it was the best thing ever on every level of my life. Except for the criminal aspect, I did keep up the shoplifting well into college, just for the challenge.

When I was older I discovered she cashed out the majority of my and my sister's savings bonds which were intended for school. A few times I found credit cards or other debtors chasing me or my dad; she basically used us for identity theft. A bunch of other things, but it's mostly all money. She is the ultimate con artist, and actually does go state to state scamming employers or co-workers she preys on. I also had an older woman contact me saying she was my older sister from my mother's previous marriage, which puts a whole different spin on the life she presented to my father before they met. That was awkward, but also not my problem.

/lifecast
---
You goddamn kids had best be gracious with the merch money you spend, 'cause for you I wont ever have rough sex with Molly Connolly again.