This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

You think Microsoft will make a Japanese version of Durango?

#11nonexistingheroPosted 2/4/2013 1:27:32 PM(edited)
Incorrect. Microsoft spent the first 4 years of the console trying to get JP devs to care, and then they *ALL* turned around and released sequels and ports to those games on the rival consoles.

Blame the selfish Japanese developers for getting Microsoft to not care, not Microsoft.

No, at best they spent 3 years. After Lost Odyssey and Tales of Vesperia they still tried to get a multiplatform release for FFXIII. But shortly after, a good while before the release of FFXIII, that they already gave up on Japan. MS should've pushed much harder. They were doing great early on with a ton of exclusive games from Japan. If they had kept that up, rather than giving up, the Xbox 360 would've sold quite a bit better in Japan.
---
Read the mania: http://www.fanfiction.net/~nonexistinghero
In SA2, it's Super Sonic and Hyper Shadow.
#12TheArcadePosted 2/4/2013 1:52:15 PM
It would be very stupid for them to abandon ship considering they sold almost 2 million units in Japan. The 360 is the most successful American console of all time in that region. Remember their goal for 360 in Japan WASN'T to defeat it's foreign rivals but to establish itself and sell 1 million units inside Japan. Something the original Xbox failed to do. Where their predecessor failed Xbox 360 has accomplished that goal.

The question is do they want to simply establish the next console again in that region or do you want to outdo the competition. Sure enough that's where the question lies.
---
Greatest Shows of All Time.
Avatar: The Last Airbender, SWAT Kats, Sailor Moon, Tetsuwan Atom 2K3, Transformers, Spiderfriends
#13CapwnDPosted 2/4/2013 1:54:26 PM
Maybe the durango ate your baby
---
Death to Videodrome, Long Live the New Flesh
#14TheArcadePosted 2/4/2013 1:57:58 PM
cup_a_soup posted...
nonexistinghero posted...
It IS a huge section of the potential market. Like 20% of all gaming sales is from Japan alone.

Anyhow, the Xbox 360 did so poorly over there that I think MS made tons of losses from Japan. I don't think they'll make a profit from selling systems & games in Japan. But... not releasing it over there could also mean a ton of Japanese developers won't release their games for MS' console at all. The worldwide profit gained from it most likely outshines the losses from releasing the system in Japan... at least, as far as Xbox 360 games are concerned.

But to be honest, I doubt a lot of Japanese developers will be developing for the next Microsoft console. This generation MS started off showing they care. And in the past few years, the only thing they've proven is how they couldn't care any less these days. Yeah, they'll get some multiplatform games from them, but I think that will be pretty much it.

Incorrect. Microsoft spent the first 4 years of the console trying to get JP devs to care, and then they *ALL* turned around and released sequels and ports to those games on the rival consoles.

Blame the selfish Japanese developers for getting Microsoft to not care, not Microsoft.

Also the 360 is profitable in part because of Japan. If they didn't get gems like DMC4, FFXIII, Tekken they'd be dead in the water.
---
Greatest Shows of All Time.
Avatar: The Last Airbender, SWAT Kats, Sailor Moon, Tetsuwan Atom 2K3, Transformers, Spiderfriends
#15RisingWaterPosted 2/4/2013 2:21:44 PM
cup_a_soup posted...
It IS a huge section of the potential market. Like 20% of all gaming sales is from Japan alone.

Anyhow, the Xbox 360 did so poorly over there that I think MS made tons of losses from Japan. I don't think they'll make a profit from selling systems & games in Japan. But... not releasing it over there could also mean a ton of Japanese developers won't release their games for MS' console at all. The worldwide profit gained from it most likely outshines the losses from releasing the system in Japan... at least, as far as Xbox 360 games are concerned.

But to be honest, I doubt a lot of Japanese developers will be developing for the next Microsoft console. This generation MS started off showing they care. And in the past few years, the only thing they've proven is how they couldn't care any less these days. Yeah, they'll get some multiplatform games from them, but I think that will be pretty much it.

JP devs would care if market cared,they would ditch Sony in a moment if needed.Whatever brings food on the table is good and MS certainly helped them a lot and gave them tons of ways to monetize their product.

MS moneyhatted tons of them at the start,for many of them money was enough to make the whole game,extremely strong 360 overseas software sales played a big role too.But in the end market rejected xbox and everything got ported after exclusivity was out.So in the end PS3 turned out to be the luckiest console ever.

But on the other hand that has brought tons of JRPG games to 360 in the West.Nothing to complain about...

Next gen will be much different,I fear.
#16The_DjokerPosted 2/4/2013 3:07:14 PM(edited)

MS's influence in the JPN market was hugely successful if not for the actual JPN market but for the effect it had in the west. 360 outsold the original Xbox 3:1 in Japan. The same amount that 360 has outsold the original Xbox globally. Meanwhile PS3 barely hit past half of PS2.

No. of Major JPN developed Games on Xbox

- Silent Hill 2 & 3
- MGS2: Substance
- Bunch of Dreamcast Ports

NO. of Major JPN developed games and franchises on 360 that did not exist on Xbox. And some Lost Exclusive franchises for Sony.

- Final Fantasy XIII, XIII-2
- Tekken series
- Devil May Cry series including HD collection
- Resident Evil
- Metal Gear Solid HD collection with MGS3 and peacewalker, Rising.
- Multiple Titles from Namco including Tales of Vesperia, Soul calibur, magna carta 2
- Tecmo Koei Titles
- Atlus Titles such as Persona 4 Arena/Catherine
- Support from Square enix with RPG's like Star Ocean, Nier and Resonance of Fate.
- From Software titles such as Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2

I'm forgetting a ton of games too.

You can't ignore what MS have done this gen in that JPN market space. Sure the 360 failed in Japan ultimately, but MS as a whole have done anything but ailed. They've eaten a chunk of Sony's markshare from last gen and trippled install base from last gen.

MS moneyhatted tons of them at the start,for many of them money was enough to make the whole game,extremely strong 360 overseas software sales played a big role too.But in the end market rejected xbox and everything got ported after exclusivity was out.So in the end PS3 turned out to be the luckiest console ever.

Yeah but people are missing the bigger point. MS threw money due to being Naive in the console market. I wouldn't' call PS3 lucky. Devs would have made those games on PS3 eventually. Where are games like Lost odyssey, Blue dragon, Last Remnant, Vesperia and Magna carta on PS3? Ps2 had 99% markshare for Console JRPG's last gen. 99 friggin percent. In terms of localised JRPG's this gen it's about 60-40 in favour of PS3. And this is only because JRPG support for 360 has just about dried up since 2010. 360 actually had more localised JRPg's than PS3 until 2010.
---
http://s19.postimage.org/aosug5mrn/Persona4.png