This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So I had an idea...

#1Eagles931Posted 2/4/2013 6:25:32 AM
I was thinking about getting into either the mass effect series or the gears of war series

I would either buy all 3 gears of wars for like $45, or the ,as defect trilogy for $60. Which series should I crack in to? I'm kinda torn between both
---
PS : SlootSlayer11
GT: SlootSlayer11
#2JerichoDarkstarPosted 2/4/2013 6:27:59 AM
I never played the Mass Effect series, but I did play 2 GoW and had a detailed description of GoW3 from a good friend.

It really boils down to, do you like RPG's or third person shooters more. I would go with GoW, if it were me, for right now. Then, pick up the ME later.
---
I'll make a big enough ruckus for everyone.
PSN: DarkSilverCloud
#3SunDevil77Posted 2/4/2013 6:28:35 AM
Well...do you like RPGs or straight up shooters?

ME will give you more content, but I am a Gears lover myself.
---
Royal with Cheese. What do they call a Big Mac? Big Mac's a Big Mac, but they call it Le Big Mac.
#4Eagles931(Topic Creator)Posted 2/4/2013 6:31:21 AM
Well the only TPS I ever got deep into was the uncharted series on ps3. I'm playing black ops a lot right now so I'm thinking a RPG would be a welcomed change of pace....

But the new Judgment is coming soon and looks awesome -___-
---
#5lninjasoniclPosted 2/4/2013 6:32:02 AM
Starting with the first Mass Effect might give an odd impression since the gameplay was overhauled significantly from ME and ME2. Both are great games though, but I like Mass Effect myself
---
I once worked with a guy for three years and never learned his name. Best friend I ever had. We still never talk sometimes.
#6DiScOrD tHe LuNaTiCPosted 2/4/2013 6:45:08 AM
Gears 1-3, the single-player gameplay didn't change very much at all, aside from refinements in slightly different weapons, etc.

Mass Effect was a RPG, but with third-person elements. Mass Effect 2 & 3 went further into shooter/action from RPG(in terms of playstyle, though there's still plenty of RPG-style things); the biggest difference you'd notice in the RPG elements from 1 to 2&3 is that 2 did away with a lot of the skills that you could enhance, and 3 did away with even more.
---
"It's not about money, it's about sending a message. Everything burns."
#7CyricsServantPosted 2/4/2013 6:46:29 AM
Well the Mass Effect series is phenomenal and Gears of War is average at best, soooo . . . I'd go with Mass Effect. Also be sure to buy the ME2 DLC whenever you see it on sale.

Honestly, Gears is something you should play for its multi-player and not its story, so if you were to just pick up one Gears game with an active online community there's no real reason to buy the other games . . . At least, there isn't in my opinion.
#8vigorm0rtisPosted 2/4/2013 6:47:54 AM
Love them both, but ME is the clear winner in my book. The first game's play is kind of archaic now, but still a great game.
---
"'Grab the guns!' 'What about the troll?' 'Leave the troll.'"--ATHF
#9Eagles931(Topic Creator)Posted 2/4/2013 7:08:53 AM
Looks like Mass Effectbis the winner.. My girlfriend is like begging me to get it too, I guess she use to play it before we dated. I'll be picking it up today, I'm excited. I've heard great things about this series.
---
#10pothocketPosted 2/4/2013 7:10:23 AM
Skip the first game. It's mechanics are so poor the game is barely playable. There's DLC for the 2nd game that will let you make choices for the first game if you've never played it. It's worth it.
---
well I am not like your dad. I worked as a chef at TGIF-Mattson