This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Been wanting to buy Alan Wake for a while, now American Nightmare is on sale...

#1_LordAndSaviorPosted 2/4/2013 10:30:57 AM
Should I go out and buy the orginal, just buy American Nightmare because its on sale or should I buy both? If you reccomend buying both could i play American Nightmare first or will it just spoil the first?
---
Will not change this sig, until Carlito is a World Champion! 7/10/11 (Unofficial Date: 6/11/05)
R.I.P Shauwk, Gone but Never Forgotten. You will be missed.
#2darkharePosted 2/4/2013 10:33:19 AM
american nightmare has a demo, but plays much more like a shooter then the original game. so maybe you should ask yourself do you want to play a thriller/survival horror game or a shooter themed horror game.
---
micro-transactions in $60.00 retail games, it will get worse devs are just boiling the frog slowly so we dont notice.
#3JKSonicPosted 2/4/2013 10:34:18 AM
Both, American Nightmare was exactly spoil the first but it sort of will I guess...? Hard to explain without actually spoiling it. It won't spoil it until you get about half way through the Alan Wake but it will spoil it. Although the ending is sort of ambiguous in AW so...

Anyway I loved Alan Wake, if not in my top 5 this gen it's right there. And while American Nightmare had some repetitive moments overall I thought it was awesome too. Yeah both games had their flaws but overall if you love stuff like King, Koontz, Laymon, etc or those type of horror movies as well this game should immerse you from the start.
---
"You shouldn't be asking HOW things are, given that we already know there is something..but rather WHY things are, as opposed to there being nothing."
#4memphis12Posted 2/4/2013 10:34:25 AM
I'd be interested in the answers given also.

I played Alan Wake at my friends, it was good, but seemed like it could get repetitive. Hopefully I'm wrong though.
---
'I wrestled with an alligator,I tussled with a whale,only last week I murdered a rock, injured a stone, hospitalized a brick. I'm so mean I make medicine sick.'
#5wild09Posted 2/4/2013 10:35:55 AM
If you're going to buy american nightmare then buy alan wake also. While american nightmare isn't too related to the main story it will probably spoil a lot of alan wakes story. Anyway Alan Wake is better than American Nightmare. It's plotline is great AND it's comprehensible unlike American Nightmare
---
Awesome games I've never finished: Vampire:
The Masquerade - Bloodlines, Black Sigil, 999 (True ending), Nier (all endings besides A)
#6_LordAndSavior(Topic Creator)Posted 2/4/2013 10:37:21 AM
So will it spoil the first? In that case is it so good that I should spend the points now and not play it until after I played and beat the first?
---
Will not change this sig, until Carlito is a World Champion! 7/10/11 (Unofficial Date: 6/11/05)
R.I.P Shauwk, Gone but Never Forgotten. You will be missed.
#7JKSonicPosted 2/4/2013 10:46:55 AM
I played Alan Wake at my friends, it was good, but seemed like it could get repetitive. Hopefully I'm wrong though.

It does somewhat because it's the same kind of shooting all game. While the actual mechanic is pretty fresh (deplete their "shield" with your flashlight or other light sources first then kill them with a gun) it's used add nauseum on similar enemy types. It varies sometimes like using a big spotlight or giving you other weapons like flashbangs or a car but the combat part does get repetitive.

What fans of the game really stick around for is the feel of the game and the story. If the story was written in novel form it could easily be mistaken for a King or Koontz novel (not so much Laymon since he's a tad more grotesque), it just has that surreal but grounded vibe to it. And if you've ever been to any northern mountainous states you'll relate even more because it really captures that feel.

I would also HIGHLY recommend watching the webisodes released before the game came out too. They are really well done and definitely set the mood for the game. In fact I'd say check those out right now, I think there was 5 episodes and are on the XBox too.
---
"You shouldn't be asking HOW things are, given that we already know there is something..but rather WHY things are, as opposed to there being nothing."
#8JKSonicPosted 2/4/2013 10:48:26 AM
So will it spoil the first?

Well it takes place AFTER the first one...pretty much directly after the first one...so yeah. Any suspense about who succeeds in what or who is found or who is not found, etc is pretty much erased of you play AN first. I would definitely buy it now I really liked it, but play AW and it's DLC first.
---
#9rockyoumonkeysPosted 2/4/2013 10:48:50 AM
Just play the first. These are story-driven games, why skip any? I don't know if the second "spoils" the first, but it definitely assumes you've played it.
---
Formerly Known As: boingboingboing
Now Reading: Great North Road, P. Hamilton
#10Killah PriestPosted 2/4/2013 10:49:47 AM
definitely play the first game before American Nightmare.
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.